Author Topic: Vintage ebaY auction wins!  (Read 55173 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage ebaY auction wins!
« Reply #135 on: July 9, 2004, 10:57 AM »
I'm trying to spare myself the pain of upgrading at a future date.  To be honest, I don't own one simply because I am amazed what people will pay for one.  I think the price you paid is great, for that kind of condition, but I've seen versions with boots that are almost completely blue go for nearly $100 lately ::)  Really nice pieces are up and over $130 with some crazy guys with $150 BINs.  I can wait a long time for this piece and for Yak Face.  At least 10 of each are auctioned off each week, so no hurry at all.  I'd like to be done, but then what would I do ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 9, 2004, 01:37 PM »
Just received my Warok today.  I point this out for two reasons: one, I have a question and two, I want to mock my luck.

1.  The one I got is a carded Warok but the bubble is trashed.  It is pretty much completely crushed along one side and torn open at the top.  I can almost pull Warok out of the bubble, but for his rotundity.  I knew it was coming this way, so no disappointment at all.  I got it from a guy on snowtroopers and he was completely up front about things.  The question is this: does anyone know if you can remove the bubble completely with goo gone or something of the like?  The card is in ok shape but the blister detracts from it.  If I can maintain it as well as I can, that would be nice.

2.  I paid $45 CAD for this, so a little over $35 USD.  That, relative to recent ebay anding prices, is remarkably reasonable.  I don't recall seeing one end for that little of late, so being able to pull a last 17 off the card for loose display is nice, plus the coin is mint as well.  The mocking part comes here:  I fully expect to see several loose, complete Warok's go for well under $30 in the next 10-14 days.  Just you watch ;)

In general that has been my luck with stuff.  As soon as I get a figure and at a seemingly good price, prices for that item fall.  Keep in mind I've been watching for about a year now, so I do have a decent idea of the prices.  It happened with the Lando general, although in that case I was so deeply scarred that I actually won the second Lando on principle as well ;D  The price was about the same, but it came in a small lot with 7-8 other complete figures, so a bargain.  

My bargain scores have been the following:
Luke Stormtrooper - nice and white and complete.  Got him in a lot and paid about $150 dlvd but also picked up 20 other good, complete figures that upgraded my collection substantially.  Also picked up a rebel transport, which I may yet sell.  
Amanaman - C9.9 beyond a shadow of a doubt for $45.  Figure, staff and coin look like they came off the card moments earlier.  I couldn't find a thing to complain about.
R2-D2 popup - $65, I've seen cheaper, but this is one of the few items I haven't seen cheaper after I bought it and has been going at $70-95 of late, so I'm pleased.  

Otherwise stuff has been pretty average.  The good news is most have been in quite good shape so no real upgrades necessary.

Carry on.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2004, 11:54 PM »
Three in a row is a sign of insanity, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5906557876&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Damn Ewoks.  I can see one bow is a repro, but the other looks like it has a shot.  Still, I've seen Warok go for that much.  And I hope to see him go for that much again ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2004, 08:52 AM »
Wow, that's a nice little haul for a guy who hates Ewoks!  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2004, 11:17 AM »
Wow, that's a nice little haul for a guy who hates Ewoks!  ;D
:-[

It's worse, I tried to win his other lot as well, but my fat fingers missed the decimal point, prompting a screen from ebay asking if I really wanted to bid more than $5000 :o  

The other lot had a complete Romba, this one is missing the headdress.  I'm missing a couple of weapons and a headdress, that's mostly why I bought the lot.  Plus I've seen Warok go for that much alone, throw in a Lumat and it was a bargain.  Can't pass up a bargain.  

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2004, 08:15 PM »
The question is this: does anyone know if you can remove the bubble completely with goo gone or something of the like?

this is something i've been trying to figure out for years, for custom purposes. i've heard two theories, neither of which has actually worked for me. however, i've been attempting these methods on modern potf2 era figures, so you might want to give 'em a shot. maybe the vintage stuff will work.

(1) put the figure inside a plastic bag and leave it in the freezer for a few days. the cold air will dry out the glue on the bubble, and you should be able to pull it from the card with very minimal tearing.

(2) using a heat gun, heat the card from the back around the area where the bubble attaches to the card. again, the heat is supposed to dry the glue to a point where you should be able to just pull the bubble right off the card with little to no tearing.

now, like i said, i've tried both of these methods. neither worked out too well for me. another alternative would be to use an exacto knife or razor blade and just trim the main part of the bubble from the card, leaving the part that gets glued down right where it is. not the most attractive look, but it will remove the bubble.

good luck.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2004, 12:06 PM »
Not a bad price I'd say.  The last 17 are done, except for a hood for Romba.   :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Not a bad price you say!  :o

I was buzzing around eBay a short time ago & I happened to check out Yak faces. It was sitting at around $57. with that zero bidder. That is an Awesome score Brent. I have seen as you have too with no weapon & paint scuffing go for more!

Romba's are cheap right now, there's one sitting at $9.99 with 1 bid & 10 hrs. to go.

Now go get a Vinyl cape Jawa & from a member you know. That way it's authentic & not a fake.  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Oh yeah, that damned vinyl cape :-\  Here I was ticking down my list going damn, I'm close but not quite so close as I thought.  Authentic would be good.  

Looking over my list now, that Ewok auction above knocked quite a few things of the list, notably weapons.  I have to wait for them to arrive to make sure they are authentic, but I should be close.  I am watching that Romba closely, so we'll see what happens.  I just had to go through my watched items on ebay and knock out all the Yak Face stuff, plus I have to turn off the new listing emails from ebay now too. :)

That Yak Face was just the same as the Amanaman you steered me to.  No indication it was vintage in the title, so a basic search for Yak Face that brings up the bone necklaces, POTF2 stuff (all listed as POTF) and other assorted crap was what I was culling through and it paid off.  $42 pounds sterling delivered, so just under $80 US, a tad over $100 Cdn.  Pretty damn pleased I am.  

Here's what's left for me right now (and you shut up about red haired Luke's):
Han Solo small head
Han Solo big head (got one, but bad paint :()
Luke Skywalker brown hair
Bespin Luke brown hair
Death Star Droid with tight joints
Jawa vinyl cape
Jawa regular blaster
Ugnaught blue smock
Romba - just need the head thingy, but I suspect I'll buy the whole figure, giving me three speers, two Rombas and only one complete
Squid Head

sooooooo close.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2004, 01:02 PM »
and you shut up about red haired Luke's

Don't forget about the Red Haired Luke!  :-*   ;D

How about a Tusken Raider with hollow checks or...     :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2004, 01:33 PM »
Yeah, yeah.  I know about the hollow cheeks tusken, I keep looking real close at those figs ::)

I've got both hair colors of Bespin Leia, apparently there are different head paint colors of Bossk ::), already seen the craziness of Madine (thanks Billy Boy); rocket Fett (not) is out there; different biker scout head sculpts; red coat Bib; tan limb Klaatu; Ackbar vests; and I'm sure a host of others.  Red hair.  Sheesh.  

Something more legitimate I need is a blue saber Luke Jedi.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2004, 01:57 PM »
Something more legitimate I need is a blue saber Luke Jedi.

Hmmm, that sounds like a job for Simon if he got that auction.  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2004, 02:55 PM »
Not carded, just loose is fine.  As you know, lots go by each week.  I just need to decide to win one. :-*

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2004, 03:32 PM »
Just rip it off the card!  :o

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian