Author Topic: Cutting back in 08?  (Read 12738 times)

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Cutting back in 08?
« on: December 6, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Just curious if anyone is planning on cutting back next year?  I have gone back-n-fourth, but I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to cut out what I call the "legacy" figures Vader,Chewy,R2, ect.,  I have collected the last three collections ROTS,SAGA, and TAC.  Over the past year, I have really like the Cantina/Jabba's court creatures ( god when are we going to get a new Jabba) I also like the EU, and Jedi. I really wanted to cut back this year, but once I heard about TAC, well that plan went out the window. So what are your plans for the coming year? I just can not shell out 7 bucks for clones and stormtroopers at the rate they are producing them, if you dont have enough clones or stromies at this point I don't think you ever will.  ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting back in 08?
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I need to cut back, that's for sure.  Not only am I running out of room for stuff, but it seems to be getting more expensive each year... the way I collect is to display my collection in custom made dioramas.  I'm probably going to weed out a couple prequel dioramas to make room for more of the newer figures.

Regarding Stormies/Clones, I'm probably close to done buying them.  I'm really happy with the Tantive IV Stormtrooper as I have about 40 of them, and that's enough for me... about a dozen in my Endor battle scene and the rest scattered around the Death Star and Bespin scenes.  I got rid of my VOTC and Commtech Stormies in favor of the Tantive one. 

Clones, while I don't care for as much as Stormies, I do have more of.  There's the different phases of armor, color schemes, etc. and bigger battles with them in the films so I probably have around 100 or so Clones - all SA versions, I got rid of the older sculpts.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2007, 02:35 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2007, 03:04 PM »
I got rid of my VOTC and Commtech Stormies in favor of the Tantive one. 

Clones, while I don't care for as much as Stormies, I do have more of.  There's the different phases of armor, color schemes, etc. and bigger battles with them in the films so I probably have around 100 or so Clones - all SA versions, I got rid of the older sculpts.

Chewie, we are on the same page 100%.

I am actually expecting to spend more because of the sheer volume of product from the regular line, TFU & CW. But that does not mean I am buying everything from the 3 lines. Room is an real issue for me as well, so I will not be able to display everything I would like. So things have to go or be boxed up. I am currently selling off half of my unleashed, Saga2 Camo droids and some straglers just to make some room!

I do plan on cutting out the really far out EU Clones & Vehicle repaints altogether as I started the end of this year. (I consider far out as: Target ARC Shark ship, Target AT-RT BP, ARC BP, Order 66 Yoda/Camo clone, TAC 7th Legion Clone, TFU Repainted Stormies) They were easy to pass on and I will continue that trend. If a really cool figure like the Arc droid is included in Battle Pack, I will sell/trade off the ones I do not want to get them. If they are better sculpts of existing figures, I will sell/trade off the older ones to cycle back into the funds. I am just about ready to part with the UBP Walkers as the rumors insist a new AT-ST is coming in 2008. Soon as I get that word they are being sold. I want the best of the best as fas as sculpts go.

If it's a more compelling EU clone/Vehicle repaint, I may buy into it but not like before. (I consider compelling as 442 Clones, Cmdr Keller, Kit fisto Starship, TFU Geared up Jump Trooper)
I am going to commit to certain figures to army build with like the Kashyyk Trooper & Octo Droid. If it's  the same old #41 repaint with weird markings, I will have to evaluate case by case. I really want movie/comic/novel specific items, not the "made up just because it's a new Hasbro SKU" item. I am set on Stormies, I have 30 Tantives, 20 Sandtroopers, 35 442's & 30 Utapau's, I am a bit trooped out.

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2007, 03:16 PM »
I'm cutting back big time.  If I can convince myself to go through with it I'm going to sell all my Unleashed, 12" and carded figures.  I'm only keeping loose modern, vintage, lego, and gentle Giant.  Then I'll be able to stop buying everything twice.  I'm also done buying everything Hasbro slaps a new coat of paint on.  Starting with the God-awful AT-RT Camo Battle Pack.

« Last Edit: December 6, 2007, 03:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2007, 04:50 PM »
Boy am I ever. After getting maybe 20 figures in 2005, and 40 figures both last year and this one, I recently had a crisis of collecting when I thought about the possibility of 40 figures a year for the next ten years. I gave up trying to get them all after POTF2 ended, but the realization that has dawned on me this past month is that Hasbro is never going to stop increasing production. There is never going to be a real manageable complete collection. Already there are way too many gray areas with all the rehashes and repaints and straight rereleases in new packages.

In short, the burden is not on Hasbro to define the breadth and depth of a collection, but on the collector him/herself.

To reconcile this epiphany with my collecting habits, I sat down and made a list of what I consider my neccesities, and came up with right around three-hundred and fifty figures I want to own. Of those, there are about 75 that don't exist yet, and so far too few are rumored for next year. A 350 figure collection will look good and manageable on shelves in my office, and I have begun to shape my collection toward that outcome.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2007, 04:54 PM »
If I can convince myself to go through with it I'm going to sell all my Unleashed, 12" and carded figures.  I'm only keeping loose modern, vintage, lego, and gentle Giant.  Then I'll be able to stop buying everything twice. 

Once you do that it's so much easier (mentally,financially) to buy only one of each instead of one carded, one loose. It was the best choice I made.
I remember my dream now.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #6 on: December 6, 2007, 05:41 PM »
I've been cutting back since TAC started and will continue with my no EU (or if it isn't in a film don't collect it) policy for the forseeable future.

Not having to hunt down the McQuarrie figures this year was very enjoyable and only having to pick up Hermi Odle and C3PO / Salacious Crumb made that wave a lot easier to collect.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 6, 2007, 05:45 PM »
I'm planning on stopping collecting all together in '08, probably starting with the Clone Wars line.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 6, 2007, 06:11 PM »
I'm planning on stopping collecting all together in '08, probably starting with the Clone Wars line.

I've been thinking the same thing, but I'm just not sure how well that's going to pan out after seven years of buying everything Hasbro has thrown at us.  So far I've skipped the Bespin and Droid BP's as well as the rereleases of the Stormtrooper comic packs with white armor instead of blue.  It's a step in the right direction I suppose, but then I caved on all of the Target exclusives as I was originally just going for the Shark Arc and the GH Cinema Scenes.  Ugh..

I still plan on picking up the Unleashed stuff next year as I've been looking forward to that stuff for awhile, but as it stands right now - I have soooo much of this stuff that I simply don't have the room for it anymore.  I do have a soft spot for the 3" Titanium line even though they're overpriced and they keep repainting everything do death.

It would be nice to leave this hobby for a few years to just take a break.  Collecting this stuff really seems like a second job for me the majority of the time.  What's the fun in that?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 6, 2007, 07:14 PM »

I've been thinking the same thing, but I'm just not sure how well that's going to pan out after seven years of buying everything Hasbro has thrown at us.  So far I've skipped the Bespin and Droid BP's as well as the rereleases of the Stormtrooper comic packs with white armor instead of blue.  It's a step in the right direction I suppose, but then I caved on all of the Target exclusives as I was originally just going for the Shark Arc and the GH Cinema Scenes.  Ugh..

I still plan on picking up the Unleashed stuff next year as I've been looking forward to that stuff for awhile, but as it stands right now - I have soooo much of this stuff that I simply don't have the room for it anymore.  I do have a soft spot for the 3" Titanium line even though they're overpriced and they keep repainting everything do death.

It would be nice to leave this hobby for a few years to just take a break.  Collecting this stuff really seems like a second job for me the majority of the time.  What's the fun in that?
I skipped so many things without a 2nd look this year. I skipped most of the Battle Packs, most of the ships, and the other odds and ends Hasbro put out.   I think it really is quality over quanity, I think Hasbro did a great job with the TAC and most of SL once they got past W1 & W2. So I was happy to just collect TAC, and the comic packs.  The one thing that I miss are the unleashed 7" figures )= 

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2007, 07:25 PM »
I am not stopping collecting but I am cutting back next year.  This year has been an killer for me because the TAC line, 2x of each McQuarrie, the new 25th G.I. Joe line :P. After the Gree Wave its break time because I am skipping the next wave, which is the Force Unleashed Line, I don't want any of those figures (except Female Imperial Officer). I am glad Hasbro delayed this group because I didn't want to buy just for the coins. 

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2007, 07:25 PM »
I've cut back an exceptional amount since 2005.

In 2004, I probably purchased around 100-150 figures. In 2005, the final number was closer to 250. In 2006, I purchased maybe 20-25. This year? Less than 10.

We'll see next year. I really enjoyed the Clone Wars line in 2003 and am looking foward to its return.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2007, 09:05 PM »
I'm seriously cutting back, though I've been fairly limited in what I've bought since 2004, really.  This year I went a little further with all the Legends goodies (Sandies and pit droids) but as the line veers further into EU territory I will let the kids have their fun and just focus on 'classic' stuff.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I started cutting back in 2006.  I realised that some of the army building was getting ridiculous when I found that I had bought like 15 of the TSC Sandtroopers.  That may not sound like much on it's own, but when you mix it in with all of the other Sandtroopers I have (POTF2, POTJ, 4-Pack, Evolutions), it got a bit ridiculous.  So I've scaled back on the army building.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2007, 09:05 AM »
I'm cutting back in some fashion for sure. My cold hard turning point will be the CW line. I had thought about stopping a carded collection starting with the '08 line, but figured if it was short, it wouldn't hurt to finish the cardbacks out. The thing that hurts that idea is all the '07 repacks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."