Author Topic: Vintage Kenner/LJN Indy Toys  (Read 17159 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Vintage Kenner/LJN Indy Toys
« on: October 23, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Anyone into the vintage Indy line at all?

I recently dug out the stuff I had when I was a kid.  Most of the figures, and the Well of the Souls playset (which is missing nearly everything).  I think I had everything else except for the Map Room playset and the horse, but all that stuff's long gone, unfortunately.

Anyway, it's made me think about going back and picking up some stuff, before the prices jump next year (assuming they will).  It's a relatively small line, which is good, but some of those carded figs are awfully expensive, which is not so good.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2008, 08:05 PM by Jeff »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Vintage Kenner Indiana Jones Toys
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:26 PM »
I have all of the vintage Indy figures (could use a new Indy himself though, damn broken thumb). I have the horse and one of the playsets. Now that this has come up i am going to dig the stuff out. I want a new indy and should get the rest of the playsets.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:34 PM »
I am.  I started picking them up slowly about a month or two ago and I fear I started too late.  There's a buyer out there who is pretty obviously speculating as he's been spending like crazy and buying up many of the same figure repeatedly. 

Carded stuff in good shape is already a little kooky and the loose stuff wasn't much better this week.  I'm hoping this weekend was just the usual assortment of stupid ebay buyers that crop up every so often. 

-Loose ROTLA Indy complete sold for over $170, usually goes for $50-80 complete
- Boxed Well of Souls playset with loose contents (i.e. not sealed in baggies) sold for opening bid of $199. The previous week saw a nearly identical (box had a bit more wear) set go for about $65 which I thought was high as well. 

So the loonieness is already in full swing but hopefully won't stay there. 

I'm close to finishing, relatively speaking: 

From ROTLA I need:
Marion
Indy
Sallah
Belloq's map (I have the figure)
Indy's horse - I'm not really inclined to pick it up given the prices it usually fetches

From ToD I need:
Mola Ram

Playsets I need:
Well of Souls
Streets of Cairo

I'm really not even that concerned about the playsets really only wanting the Ark from the WoS and the figures from SoC. 

Don't even start on carded stuff.  Aside from Toht and the Cairo Swordsman they're already climbing and of course the AFA stuff is in the mix as well ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:36 PM »
(could use a new Indy himself though, damn broken thumb)

Are there any loose Indys out there that still have both their thumbs?  I don't think so.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:11 PM »
The market has definately picked up, I noticed the prices on these were UP at the SciFi/Comic show this weekend....

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Can't say we didn't see it coming.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:05 PM »
I've got a complete set of Indy figs, including the Truck.  I found it in 1986 on clearance at a place called Play King in New Jersey.  It was like 7.00.  They had a wall of them.  If I had only bought 10 of them...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:56 PM »
Anyone into the vintage Indy line at all?

Just the stuff I had as a kid - and it's all in very "played with" condition:

- Indy (broken thumb, missing gun)
- Cairo Swordsman (missing sword)
- Mail-Away Belloq (missing robe)
- Toht (missing pistol)
- Monkey (no sign of Marion)
- Map Room (just have the Map Floor, Indy, and Staff of Ra)

And the Well of Souls (missing torches and some snakes):

And, one thing I never noticed before until I dug it out tonight - friggin' R2 and 3PO are RIGHT THERE on the Ark Cover!   :o

I know, I know, it's probably old news, so just humor me.  I always knew they were easter eggs in the movie, but I never noticed they were on the toy version until today (after almost 25 years of ownership). 

I don't think I'll go chasing any of the vintage stuff, but I will probably use the vintage playset stuff as a nice backdrop if (when  ::)) I buy any of the new stuff...

Are there any loose Indys out there that still have both their thumbs?  I don't think so.

Not mine...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16 AM »
And the Well of Souls (missing torches and some snakes):

:o

That is fantastic.  I've only got the base, the big piece of the wall, the mummy, and (oh yeah) just the bottom of the Ark, no lid, which absolutely drives me bat-**** crazy.  Everything else is long-gone.  Love that tidbit on the Ark Cover.  Don't think I ever knew that before, either.

I've got all the figures except the Marions (both of which I believe I had at one point), Toht (think I had him, too), and Ceremonial Belloq.  All are missing their accessories, and Monkey Man is missing his cool-ass robe.

And I've got the canopy for the truck.  Where's the truck itself?  I faintly recall bashing the **** out of it (and probably everything else I'm missing along with it) several years later, when I became too cool to play with toys anymore.  (I swear, I could bash the **** out of myself for doing that, nowadays.)

Anyway, cool stuff, Jeff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:25 AM »
I have a couple of the figures, loose, banged up shape mostly without accessories, and I have them actually as custom fodder of all things.  My originals are all boxed away somewhere, mixed with GI Joes, and very few accessories (may a torch here or there, a snake, etc.). 

I didn't have the monkey man set as a kid, just the maproom, WOS, and the truck.  Had all the figures but Marion as she was unimportant to the action.  Had a couple indies, but like all of you they are now thumbless and I lost the pistols any figure had on the ride home generally. 

Somewhere out there is an '84 Caravelle Wagon with a ton of GI Joe, Star Wars, and Indiana JOnes accessories in the seats in the back.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:14 AM »

Somewhere out there is an '84 Caravelle Wagon with a ton of GI Joe, Star Wars, and Indiana JOnes accessories in the seats in the back.

Do you still have the VIN numbers anywhere? :-X

And what I was saying earlier about prices getting goofy....  Well, yeah.   :'(

Jeff, if you want to part with that monkey, lmk. ;)  And I'm betting most people didn't know about the droids on the Ark cover.  Hell, you probably just screwed my search for the WoS playset by igniting the Star Wars geeks.   >:( ;)

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 06:56 AM »
I was bidding on that Mola Ram as well. Have been trying to get him for a while. Goes too high every time.  ::)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:41 PM »

I have to admit, though, that I'd rather it be a mailaway piece that would come in an outer box with an inner "wood crate."  Top men would be sending that out of course. :)

Now that is an incredible idea.

So i dug out all my Indy stuff and was very surprised with what i found. Closer to a complete collection than i thought.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:12 PM by evenflow »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
vintage
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Anyone ever consider going after this one? 

Carded Ceremonial Belloq

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
vintage
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 02:38 AM »
I was going to, but then I figured that heart transplant was probably better for the long term so I went that route.  Jury's still out on my decision.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77