Author Topic: Thoughts on the Droid Factory "Build A Figure" Idea?  (Read 50185 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Droid Factory Build A Figure
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 05:07 PM »
I have been going back and forth over being happy for this news and being frustrated by it...

...happy because at last it is a pack-in that makes absolute sense, and is something I have lobbied for in the past...

...frustrated because it has been quite some time since I have bought all the figures in a single wave, let alone 30 figures over multiple waves...

...hopefully it will be a prequel droid like the spider droid, so I don't have to worry about how I'm gonna get all the pieces. In fact calling them "Droid Factory" waves would point to the "one big droid" being the big droid in the factory in Episode II that has already been mentioned. Might even tie in with Clone Wars, since it's in that era. If that's the case, I'll take what parts I get as droid junk pieces and actually be pretty happy for it.

If it turns out to be an OT droid I just gotta have (Probe Droid is really the only thing that might remotely fit the bill, but those would be thirty small pieces. Like, halves of arms or claws or antennas or what not.) then I'll have to weigh the costs of buying all the figures and trying to sell/trade the ones I don't want away, or trying to trade for or buy needed droid parts.

I guess in the end it is a happy dilemma. Can't wait to find out more about it!

I saw this thread and all I could think of was the vintage droid factory.  :D

Me too...I was actually hoping they were gonna make a modern version with some buildable Sandcrawler Droids. I still think it would be a huge seller!!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I went back and re-read the original text:

The Droid Factory waves is currently planned to include 30 figures in 2008, each with an additional piece that together will create one big droid.

So my theory about a series of droids for every wave seems to have been shot down.  At least by the original report.  So I started thinking again about BIG DROIDS.  Here are the ones that come to mind:

This one caught my eye right off the bat.  It's the SRT autonomous short-range transport.  You would probably recall it from the Geonosis droid factory, as C-3PO falls and is caught by this self-same droid.  An AOTC C-3PO would be an interesting add-in to this particular droid.  The fact that this droid is found IN the Geonosis Droid Factory leads me to believe that this could be our prime candidate.

And there are a few large droids that I could think of from REVENGE OF THE SITH.  One is the IW-37 pincer-loader droid.  It made the ROTS visual dictionary, but it didn't really get any screentime in REVENGE OF THE SITH.

And another is the CLL-M2 ordnance lifter.  Again, it was in the visual dictionary but I don't think I saw one in ROTS.

Another possibility are some of the Seperatist Droids.

First there's the Heavy Missile Platform or as it's more commonly known, the Droid Gunship. 

Next is the previously mentioned Homing Spider Droid.  It's definitely a large droid, and I know that a good number of collectors have been calling for one since 2002.  But I think it might be a better fit in the Assault Vehicle line.  Nevertheless, here's an image.

And there's also the Droid tank.  Again, this seems more likely as an offering in the assault vehicles line.

As far as large OT droids, I think there are only a few candidates.

Here's one of the Binary Load Lifters that C-3PO mentions but we never saw in the movies.

There's the Imperial Probe Droid, but I'm not sure how likely that is given the fact that we already have one.

Those are really all of the large droids that I can think of.  So I think these might be some of the options we have in this particular case.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 08:38 AM »
I went back and re-read the original text:

...This one caught my eye right off the bat.  It's the SRT autonomous short-range transport.  You would probably recall it from the Geonosis droid factory, as C-3PO falls and is caught by this self-same droid.  An AOTC C-3PO would be an interesting add-in to this particular droid.  The fact that this droid is found IN the Geonosis Droid Factory leads me to believe that this could be our prime candidate.

This is the one I mentioned in this thread earlier. This is what I'm guessing we are getting. For the pure fact that it's a BIG droid IN the factory.
Thanks for posting that link and pic!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:57 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Guys, I don't think you can analyze a sentence written by an RS reporter and get a clear explanation of what to expect  ;).  I think Hasbro would be insane to release 30 different pieces for one BAF- it would be a logistical nightmare for them.  I still think there won't be more than 6 pieces in any given BAF.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 09:32 AM »

Next is the previously mentioned Homing Spider Droid.  It's definitely a large droid, and I know that a good number of collectors have been calling for one since 2002.  But I think it might be a better fit in the Assault Vehicle line.  Nevertheless, here's an image.

This seems the most logical choice for me. I know this thing is huge, but if Hasbro makes the center at least as large as the Destroyer droid shield, they can probably get away with breaking it up into 16 - 20 pieces.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Guys, I don't think you can analyze a sentence written by an RS reporter and get a clear explanation of what to expect  ;).  I think Hasbro would be insane to release 30 different pieces for one BAF- it would be a logistical nightmare for them.  I still think there won't be more than 6 pieces in any given BAF.

Yep, and I think the BAF droid will have to be a pretty recognizable character (Probe Droid, Homing Spider, Dwarf Spider, etc.) at least at first, then if the concept is successful, produce more background/offscreen/EU droids.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 10:30 AM »
I just don't see why the Homing Spider Droid isn't in the $20 vehicle assortment already?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 11:07 AM »
I just don't see why the Homing Spider Droid isn't in the $20 vehicle assortment already?

This is what I've been saying for YEARS now...

Cripes it's just four legs, a ball body and a couple of satellite dishes for crying out loud. The legs are all the same, so that's ONE  mold set for four legs. Essentially the body can be two exact halves with holes in them that the legs attach to the side and the dishes attach to the top and bottom.

This is such and EASY toy to develop. It could be packaged in a relatively small box too!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Guys, I don't think you can analyze a sentence written by an RS reporter and get a clear explanation of what to expect  ;). ...

Granted.

Call it wild speculation or fanboy wonder at this point. LOL

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2007, 11:35 AM »

Agreed.

If there are 30 figures that will be part of this sub-line concept. Then I think that will mean we will end up with anywhere from four to six droids (if you get all 30 figures)

They have had BAFs in Marvel Legends that span across 8 figures - but all eight of those figures/pieces were still self-contained to a specific wave. So perhaps one wave might have seven figures and therefore the BAF will be made up of seven parts and then in a smaller wave of only five figures, that BAF droid will be made up of only five pieces.

These pieces plus the stands will be the gimmick that replaces the coins that appeared in this year's figures.

This is a pretty smart move, they're counting on idiots like me who filled two coin albums to want to build at least two of each BAF so that means getting more money out of us per each wave.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Watch them give us the Saga Legends Battle Droid. Collect all 5 to build one of the crappiest figures of all time! :D
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Watch them give us the Saga Legends Battle Droid. Collect all 5 to build one of the crappiest figures of all time! :D

Funny I was JUST thinking this before I read your post.

Now if it was the EPI mold, I'd be okay with that. I prefer the thicker limbs and added articulation. At least they can stand on their own.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23 PM »
We are on the same page lately. (BTW, Thanks for agreeing with me on the Hasbro hand slap release)
I love the POTJ version that figure was sturdy! all he need is a backpack hole and that is the ideal BD. I am sure they will do something very cool with this, I was just joking with the BD. I would not mind seeing an update to the Probe Droid as someone pointed out.....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Here's two other good large droid candidates, the Ultra Battle Droid and Scorponok Annihilator Droid.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:12 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Scorponock Droid looks pretty.  Never knew about that one.  What make that Battle Droid Ultra?  His rib gun and spurs?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN