Author Topic: Thoughts on the Droid Factory "Build A Figure" Idea?  (Read 50067 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Thoughts on the Droid Factory "Build A Figure" Idea?
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:00 PM »
According to RS, there will be a large Droid Build-a-figure next year...30 total figures. 

Star Wars 3 ¾” Basic Figures Assortment
Pushing the action figure pack ins in an altogether new direction, Hasbro will be offering the first build-a-figure promotion in the 3 3/4 “ basic line. The Droid Factory waves is currently planned to include 30 figures in 2008, each with an additional piece that together will create one big droid. Let the speculation begin on this one.

I can't personally think of a droid that big... Perhaps its 4-6 waves of droids,which to me makes more sense than one large 30 piece droid

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Droid Factory Build A Figure
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:05 PM »
Yeah, it makes more sense that there would be multiple waves of droids as opposed to one large 30 piece droid.  Unless they did something similar to the Marvel Legends line where each piece helped to construct a larger figure (ala Galacticus).  Nevertheless, sounds interesting...
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Part of me is happy but only if the parts are included with new figures and not included with re-releases. If thats the case then i am not happy.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Hmmm.  This definitely gets the wheels turning.  As far as large droids go, there are really only a couple that I can think of.  The most notable one being the Homing Spider Droid.  There's also a droid from ROTS that's just barely visible.  I think that was a loadlifter droid.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:06 PM »
this sounds cool. maybe its that huge spider droid?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:45 PM »
I would love it to be the Spider Droid.  I love that thing.  LOL!  But yeah, buying 30 figures to get it?  I don't know about that. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:04 PM »
The only other thing I was thinking was something like the Probe Droid but not sure if you could break it up in to 30 pieces.

FX-7 is a possibility but doesn't make a whole lot of sense

The Spider Droid is another good idea but not one I am that fond of...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:19 PM »
I am hoping they made a mistake with it being one massive droid. I would prefer a smaller droid with each wave. It would be a good way to give us a bunch of droids from the sandcrawler.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 09:17 PM »
Evenflow, I think you're on the money.  The wording on the RS page is really odd.  I think that there will be one droid a wave.  It would take about 6 months to release 30 figures with 30 parts, and people would loose interest.  Sounds interesting either way.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 10:11 PM »
A 30 piece droid does seem like a little bit of a stretch, practically speaking.  Making multiple droids, perhaps one per wave of 5 or 6 figures, does seem a bit more feasible than making 1 huge, 30 piece droid.

So if that's the case, I wonder if the droid that you would make for each wave would fit in with the theme of each wave?  Certainly, it fits in with the build-a-figure concept that's become very popular with other toy lines.  Especially when you look at the concept as it works in the Marvel Legends line.  There's one build-a-figure for each wave of basic figures.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:12 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline darthchuckmc

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 11:51 PM »
I don't think every figure in a wave will have a piece.

I think 1 figure per wave (5 waves of 6 figures =30 figures), will include 1 piece of droid for a total of 5 pieces to build the figure.

Just like the McQs were a sub-line mixed in with basic TAC, I think BAF will have a stripe near the bottom (like McQuarrie's sig), that says "Droid Build a Figure!"

I thinking a correct scale Grievous....since we've been asking and it'll lead up to the CWs line.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 12:00 AM »
A 30 piece droid does seem like a little bit of a stretch, practically speaking.  Making multiple droids, perhaps one per wave of 5 or 6 figures, does seem a bit more feasible than making 1 huge, 30 piece droid.

I think so too.  Head, torso, 2 arms, and 2 legs.  6 parts to make 1 figure.  5 or 6 different figures.

CHEWIE had this idea a while back to include a part to a stormtrooper in each carded figure, and I loved it.

This is lovely news.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 12:24 AM »
Yeah I've been clamoring for something along these lines since the POTJ line when K3PO came out... I was pissed that they made him instead of a CZ droid, and remember bringing up the idea of build a figure... anyways, I think they said in a Q&A this year that this wasn't in their plans at all.  Glad to see they've changed their mind!  Thank the Maker!

As for what it could be, makes sense to me that it will be one figure per wave.  I'd think one possibility would be the droid that drops 3PO in the droid factory, maybe a new spider droid, perhaps a Grievous, etc.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 04:03 AM »
Part of me is happy but only if the parts are included with new figures and not included with re-releases. If thats the case then i am not happy.

I couldn't agree more.  It would be a pretty lame to include the parts with figures I already have and have no need for again.

Despite that though, I'm rather excited about this sub-line.  I'd love to see them create some more astromechs, but you could really only divide them into 4 parts, rather than the 6 you'd get from regular figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 04:27 AM »
I'm intrigued...  Not yet excited except at the idea that it could be cool, but I'm guarded for the same reasons others are...  If the parts are with repacked figures, I won't be too happy.  And somehow I have this suspicion they may just be that. :(

It's a cool idea, and it's a far superior pack-in to stands (unless the stand is an "environmental" thing like with the Episode 2 Bail Organa or Techno Union guy), holo figures, or even the coins (which I must admit, are addictive little collectibles themselves).  It's also one of those ideas though that could be frustrating, much like the coins have been at times.

I'm hoping for smaller figures than larger ones.  A Homing Spider Droid is a fair size thing, so while I'd dig getting one, I'd much rather get it as its own stand-alone toy.  I have this feeling what they would put together with one on that would fall fairly flat.

I loved the process with the Hot Toys Snap Kits though of building a Queen Alien, so this is really cool to me...  Anxious what comes of it now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77