Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight  (Read 45712 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2008, 10:14 AM »
We got a chance to see this on Saturday, and I'll echo what pretty much everyone is saying - it was just as amazing as the hype.  To me, I couldn't really find anything I didn't like about the movie - and it was a thrill to watch from beginning to end.  I thought Ledger's performance was unbelievable as well, and the "definitive" Joker for me as well.  I think they would have a tough time replacing him in a future sequel as well.  I think too many people are going to remember this movie mainly for him and his Joker (although the entire cast/movie was great), and there may even be backlash if they try to replace him.  That's something my wife asked me as we left the theater: "who will be the bad guy in the next one now?".  That's one of the great things about Batman, he has a pretty impressive Rogue's Gallery - probably the best in comics along with Spider-Man - so there are a lot of different ways they could go.  I wondered if the "protects against cat scratches" comment was a wink to Catwoman as well, I thought the same thing when I heard that.

One of my favorite parts was the "magic trick" as well.  That got a lot of people laughing in the theater we were at.  Also, I have to say that Christian Bale really makes a great Bruce Wayne/Batman.  I have the feeling he will get overlooked a bit with Ledger's performance and everything else, but he (and really the majority of the cast for both these movies) are incredibly actors, and I didn't see a weak performance from a single one of them.  Good stuff.  I'm already looking forward to the sequel.  I'd like to see this again (or a few more times), but I'll likely have to wait for the DVD.  Best movie I've seen in awhile though, that's for sure.  Between The Dark Knight and Iron Man (didn't get a chance to see the Incredible Hulk) it sure is a good summer for quality "comic book" movies.  I hope that trend continues in the years to come as we see more of our heroes brought to the big screen.  I'm hoping the visions presented in these films will force the other franchises to "up their game", so to speak.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2008, 01:22 PM »
'Dark Knight' sets opening weekend box office record!

-- A Warner Bros. executive says the Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" has taken in $155.34 million to top "Spider-Man 3" for best opening weekend ever at the box office.

The figures released Sunday show "The Dark Knight" more than $4 million ahead of the $151.1 million first weekend for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007.

But, Spider-man 3 sold 300,000 more tickets after adjusting for inflation.  :P

Today, WB raised its estimates for the film's Sunday take and the full record weekend tally now stands at approximately $158.3 million...  which, if true, would mean that TDK sold more tickets than Spidey 3 after all. 

SM3 = $151.1 mil / 2007's average price of $6.88 = 21.96 mil tickets
TDK = $158.3 mil / 2008's average price of $7.08 = 22.36 mil tickets
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2008, 01:38 PM »
2008's average price of $7.08

$7.08 a ticket! Boy I wish I could pay that, tickets up here are $12.50. A child is $8.95 as for seniors. Damn, I should be paying $8.95!  :P

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Saw Dark Knight a second time earlier today. I actually enjoyed it more, as the rushed/choppy scenes seemed to flow better upon my second viewing. Still my current favorite movie of '08.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2008, 08:30 AM »
2008's average price of $7.08

$7.08 a ticket! Boy I wish I could pay that, tickets up here are $12.50. A child is $8.95 as for seniors. Damn, I should be paying $8.95!  :P

Shoot I paid $14 plus $5 service charge for IMAX via Ticketmaster !  :o

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2008, 09:05 AM »
For IMAX, general $15.50, child & senior $11.95. If Ticketmaster here had a service charge for TDK, no idea. When I got tickets to David Copperfield online, they charged me $11.25 per ticket on top of the $77.50 per. What a frickin' crime.  >:(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30 AM »
'Dark Knight' sets opening weekend box office record!

-- A Warner Bros. executive says the Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" has taken in $155.34 million to top "Spider-Man 3" for best opening weekend ever at the box office.

The figures released Sunday show "The Dark Knight" more than $4 million ahead of the $151.1 million first weekend for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007.

But, Spider-man 3 sold 300,000 more tickets after adjusting for inflation.  :P

Today, WB raised its estimates for the film's Sunday take and the full record weekend tally now stands at approximately $158.3 million...  which, if true, would mean that TDK sold more tickets than Spidey 3 after all. 

SM3 = $151.1 mil / 2007's average price of $6.88 = 21.96 mil tickets
TDK = $158.3 mil / 2008's average price of $7.08 = 22.36 mil tickets

Excellent. Especially since TDK is a far superior film.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2008, 01:49 PM »
You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

You've changed things... forever. There's no going back.

And tonight, you're gonna break your one rule...

It's all... part of the plan.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Finally saw it last night.

Pure awesome.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Great flick but could of been about 1/2 hour shorter. 

Offline bamaker

• Youngling
  • Hey, look at this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I saw TDK last Saturday; went by myself so I could really just immerse myself in the flick.  I thought it was an extremely well-done movie, all of the performances were top notch.  I'm going to be in the minority, but I was much more impressed by the performance of Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, than I was with Heath Ledger's Joker.  I've tried to put my finger on it, and I've decided it was because of the character arc he had to work with.  Incredible to see him effortlessly go from the in control & by-the-books district attorney, and then to begin seeing the little cracks in his psyche as the Joker kept pushing & pushing & pushing, and Gotham kept spiraling out of control, until finally the Two-Face character emerged.  Heath Ledger's Joker is definitive and I was blown away by his skill in the role, but it was just craziness and chaos all the time and I believe Eckhart is being overshadowed or forgotten in all the Ledger hype.

And if I can point out the only complaints I had about the film; there are two.  First, Christian Bale's "Batman" voice is just too over-the-top; his lips are all formed in an exaggerated kissing shape and he talks like a mouth-breather; really kept pulling me out of the moment (the worst example was during the closing discussion with Gordon).  Second, I didn't care for the light-up Bat-eyes and radar-imaging of the bad guys' locations in the climactic battle -- felt too video-gamey to me.  Those are my only complaints.  Still, it is a fantastic movie, and I'll definitely be shelling out my hard-earned $$ to see it in the theaters again.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Saw it, loved it, my one true complaint is that it's too smart of a movie to view at 1 am like I did.  :P Nothing much else to say because I'd just be echoing everyone else, is it on DVD yet?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2008, 10:38 PM »
"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just do things. The mob has plans. The cops have plans. Gordon's got plans. You know. They're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So, when I say that you and your girlfriend was nothing personal, you know that I'm telling the truth. Its the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer. You had plans, and look where that got you. I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. Hmmm? You know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that like, a gangbanger, will get shot or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics because its all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? Its fair."

Sorry. Saw this posted somewhere, and I just had to copy and paste it here. I love this part of the movie.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2008, 10:43 PM »
That dialogue was ******* perfect.  A little expository, sure, but ******* perfect.

Man, what a kickass movie.  I wish I were watching it right now.
"Really?  Sorry."