Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight  (Read 45576 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: TDK
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Heading out to see the sneak peek of Dark Knight tomorrow.  Woohoo!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight
« Reply #166 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Bought advance tickets for Friday at 7 PM.

Can't... wait... any... longer....

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10 PM »
So I have work all weekend and the midnight showings were all sold out across town so I didn't think I would be seeing it until well into next week. But earlier my friend called me and said a theater here is showing TDK all night so we're going to a 1 am showing. Can't wait!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I've got my ticket for midnight. I'm actually pretty excited.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2008, 11:50 PM »
This movie was awesome.  Tons of action, great plot twists (some predictable, but not all for me), and I honestly thought the movie was about to end about 40 minutes before it actually ended.  Just when you think they're wrapping it up, there's a twist and the story goes on.  Special effects are top notch and great acting by majority of the cast.  I'm not a fan of Wayne's love interests in this or Batman Begins, but that's about my only complaint from either movie.

As for Ledger and the debate over how good his performance is - he makes a damn awesome Joker.  I really liked Nicholson's take and Ledger surpasses even that.  Obviously psychotic and funny, but they made him every bit as wise as Batman instead of just a complete lunatic.  In fact, I thought he came off more "creepy smart" than psychotic for most of the movie.

Anyway, this was definitely worth the wait and my 2nd favorite movie of the year behind Iron Man.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2008, 12:09 AM »
Batman 2 was epic...This one will be a for sure Blu-Ray purchase when it comes out ;D
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2008, 04:24 PM »
Overall I'd say I liked it. Ledger did the Joker role incredibly perfectly (that was definitely the best part of the whole thing). The action was amazing as well. But, there's a HUGE problem I have with the movie that kind of bugs me:

This movie was awesome.  Tons of action, great plot twists (some predictable, but not all for me), and I honestly thought the movie was about to end about 40 minutes before it actually ended.  Just when you think they're wrapping it up, there's a twist and the story goes on.

This was so annoying, I can't even describe it. It's not like I wanted the movie to end, but honestly, there was barely even a solid plot throughout the whole movie. Instead of introducing a specific problem and showing that problem throughout the entire movie, they made 7 or 8 mini-plots that seemed very unrelated. The only thing that ties every scene together is the fact that the Joker and Batman are involved. I won't give anything away, but there are numerous events that the Joker plans in order to instill fear into the citizens. None of these plans are at all related, and that is my big problem. This movie, while awesome, does not feel like one single movie. It feels like they had a different writer do each 20 minute section of the movie, and the only direction they gave was to include the main characters, and then it was put together into one big thing.

Overall, the action and acting were both outstanding, but I couldn't help myself from getting irritated at the fact that the movie barely even had a central plot.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:27 PM by Roton7 »
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37 PM »
Just came back from TDK- It ******* rocked. Hard. Quite possibly one of the best comic booked based movies I've seen. My thoughts and nitpicks below...

Spoilers Below

Heath Ledger easily deserves at least an Oscar nod. He stole every single scene he was in. From his vocal and facial nuances to the way he walked, he was amazing. I loved how he kept changing the story of how he got his facial scars. Kind of like how in Batman: The Killing Joke he has a bit about how he likes his past to be "multiple choice". I think he surpassed Nicholson's Joker, and definitely brought his own unique spin to the character. I was however disappointed in the lack of Joker Venom. I know that wouldn't really fit with Ledger's take on the character, but I still would've liked to see it. My favorite Joker bit from TDK? "Magic trick!"

Two-Face was handled really well. When he turns all bad-ass vigilante, he kind of reminded me of Doc Ock in Spiderman 2. The burns were done very well, a couple girls in my theater even screamed when he was revealed.

Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Lucius, Gordon, and the rest of the guys from BB pulled in solid performances. Alfred had some nice refreshing funny bits, and Bale was as good as ever.

Gyllenhall, IMO, was a better Rachel than Katie Holmes, and really gave a good performance.

My only nitpicks are the editing. It seems like the Joker had a whole bag of plots that he just weaved in and out of the film, and it was kind of hard to tell what the characters current motivations were.

Overall I thought it was fantastic, quite easily the best film of 2008. I'll definitely try to see it again in the theaters.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Spolier! Re:Roton7 post

The plot was outlined by the Joker in the last scene.  The plot was that  the Joker was this petty 2nd level criminal until he realizes that he can become a top level criminal by using Batman to elevate him to that position.  His madness was about turing people like Batman and Harvey into a "freak" like him, and Batman unlike Harvery did not fall into his trap.  Each of the Jokers plans uped the anity and each was intended to bring Batman in closer and closer. Thats my take, and Im glad we did not spend half of the movie replaying why or how the Joker became the Joker and I think that scene in the Jail where the are talking about how the Joker was a total blank slate, use your imigination as to why he became the Joker, he gave us several good reasons.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2008, 04:53 PM »
I just saw it and thought it was a fantastic movie, but I think there was a bit too much hype.  I got goosebumps when the Joker said WHY SO SERIOUS.  I think the most trippiest part of his character IMO was when he was walking out of the hospital in his "uniform"  Very twisted in his expressions and especially in his walk.

So sad that Heath had to leave us, but I'm going to be left wondering about the upside down sequence towards end and to how that will be explained in the next flick about where he went.

That wasn't spoilerish...was it?  I hope not.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2008, 06:42 PM »
I thought the hospital scene was paying tribute to Nurse Rachet from "One that flew over the Cockos Nest" the movie had a lot of little things here and there like when he said to Batman " you complete me" LOL

I an idea about the 3rd movie but it includes spoliers...

Ok we knew who "dies" and with this person death.. it brings two options..

It opens Bruce up to a new romance which could mean the CatWoman might be in part 3..or it could mean that the person that "died" comes back as Catwoman. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2008, 07:22 PM »
..or it could mean that the person that "died" comes back as Catwoman. 

I'm not going to worry about "spoliers" because if people are reading this thread now without having seen the movie, then that's their own fault.  Rachel Dawes coming back as Catwoman is about the dumbest idea I've heard.  She's deader than dead.  People don't come back from being blown up in Nolan's "real world" Batman universe.  Now that's not to say that Catwoman couldn't be the villian(ess) in part 3, but she ain't gonna be Ms. Dawes.

Me personally?  I love to see the Riddler.  We've seen Batman the fighter, now let's see Batman the detective.

As for my opinion on TDK - absolutely, positively outstanding in every sense.  Ledger is now the definitive Joker, no one else is going to touch him.  He nailed it and he deserves all the hype he's receiving.

Can't wait to see it again, possibly multiple more times.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2008, 08:04 PM »
what I liked the most about this movie is that "Gotham"was an actual real city. I know in BB they tried to make Gotham a real city, but it still looked comic bookish in certain parts like the last action sequence.  As far as my choice for Villian, Mr.Freeze might not be a bad choice with the right actor and story. I know they had their heart set on part 3 being the trial of the Joker, I just do not know who could fill the role now....
I also thought that line of the Joker at the end when he said something about them going at it for a long time to come.. )=

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2008, 08:37 PM »
TDK = bat-freakin-tastic.

I loved this movie.  Everything was perfect - the players, the characters, the story.  I honestly have ZERO complaints and I can't wait to see it again...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender