Author Topic: Clone Wars or The Force Unleashed?  (Read 6486 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Clone Wars or The Force Unleashed?
« on: January 4, 2008, 01:30 AM »
2008 will have 2 major focuses this year - first is The Force Unleashed and then the Clone Wars lines.  Which are you looking forward to most?

I'm definitely interested in what they'll do to add to the CW line.  I really enjoyed the comics that I read from this era and the resulting figures had some great sculpts. 

TFU just doesn't seem to hold any interest for me.  Maybe because it's a totally new line, or maybe it's due to my general dislike of seeing Stormtroopers being repainted (which is rather ironic considering I'll surely be buying coloured Clones from the CW line). 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars or The Force Unleashed?
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2008, 01:37 AM »
From a collecting standpoint I'm looking forward to both equally.  I think that's just part of my completist nature.

As for the media associated with those projects?  I would have to say Clone Wars.  And that's entirely based on the television series.  I'm excited about everything I've seen regarding The Force Unleashed, but as I don't own a PS3 or X-Box 360 I'm at a disadvantage because I won't be able to play the game.  If either of those gaming consoles should come down in price again, my stance on TFU might change.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2008, 11:01 AM »
I think at this point i am more interested in the Clone Wars line but that could change once i play the FU game. With that said i am extremely interested in the FU Evolutions set and the Shadow Guard. The other characters dont visually interest me as much.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2008, 11:04 AM »
I'd have to say that I'm more excited about Clone Wars, both from the figures and media standpoint.  I really enjoyed the previous Clone Wars toons, and these look to be even spiffier (and longer), and I'm looking forward to a regular Star Wars fix on TV.  I don't have a next-gen system either, and probably won't get one in time for Force Unleashed, but the game does look pretty cool.  The figures look good too, and I'll likely pick up at least some of them (and maybe all of them).  Although its a tough thing to explain, the Clone Wars feels a little more "Star Wars" to me than the game though - as has been the case with other EU games/comics for me (some of them anyways).

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2008, 11:09 AM »
I'd have to say that I'm more excited about Clone Wars, both from the figures and media standpoint.  I really enjoyed the previous Clone Wars toons, and these look to be even spiffier (and longer), and I'm looking forward to a regular Star Wars fix on TV.  I don't have a next-gen system either, and probably won't get one in time for Force Unleashed, but the game does look pretty cool.  The figures look good too, and I'll likely pick up at least some of them (and maybe all of them).  Although its a tough thing to explain, the Clone Wars feels a little more "Star Wars" to me than the game though - as has been the case with other EU games/comics for me (some of them anyways).

I totally agree. We waited a couple decades for answers to what the "Clone Wars" were when mentioned in ANH. I think a lot of the popularity of these story lines help to fill in those missing years of the "original" Star Wars story.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2008, 11:24 AM »
It's not that hard for me to explain why I'd choose CW over TFU. 

First, like Jay just said, the Clone Wars was mentioned in ANH.  It fills in gaps using pieces we already knew - Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting together.  Meanwhile, TFU fills in gaps using a character we've never heard of... lame.  I always liked the idea of Vader personally handing the Jedi their asses and hunting them down.  Using "secret apprentices" and "dark jedi" to do most of the dirty work turns Vader from bad-ass Jedi hunter to corporate Empire boss -

"Hello Secret Apprentice.  What's happening? Uh… we have sort of a problem here. Yeah, you apparently didn't put one of the new coversheets on your Jedi Kill reports."   ::)

Also, the Clone Wars cartoon is filled with established main characters (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palps, Padme, the Droids, the Clones, the Jedi, etc).  Meanwhile, the TFU game only has Vader, a minor Jedi (Shaak), and a bunch of made up characters.

Add in the fact that CW will be an on-going thing with a developing storyline vs. the "one-and-done" story of TFU and it's easy for me to care more about CW than TFU.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Excellent points Jeff, and you really describe my feelings behind it better than I did in my earlier post.  As much as many of us complain about so many "main character" versions, I have to admit I'd probably be more excited about the Force Unleashed (or other EU type things) if it were based on characters I knew from the movies.  If Obi-Wan, or even Han/Chewie/R2/3PO/Fett/etc. were in the game/figure line, it would make a difference to me.  The same goes for a lot of EU stuff.  I don't necessarily get big into the Expanded Universe, but really like stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy, because it feels like more of a continuation of the movies to me.  The whole "canon" issue is debated a lot, but Clone Wars feels more "canon" to me (or more "Star Warsy") than TFU.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2008, 12:33 PM »
First, like Jay just said, the Clone Wars was mentioned in ANH.

Give it a few years, and the Force Unleashed will be mentioned in ANH, too.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 01:00 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Clone Wars

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Force Unleashed, just by a little.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2008, 06:02 PM »
I agree with Nick - I'm looking forward to them both equally.

TFU will be fulfilling my desire for new SW content soon and the Clone Wars cartoon and toy line will be doing that in the last quarter of the year.

I did make a point in the TFU thread that having the game pushed back into 2008 has probably forced LucasFilm/LucasArts to down-play the game slightly just so it doesn't conflict with the promotions surrounding The Clone Wars cartoon. If the game had come out in 2007 and TFU figures had been part of the TAC then they would have had plenty opportunity to promote all aspects to this project similar to what was done for Shadows of the Empire.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2008, 10:08 PM »
For me, Clone Wars gets the edge over TFU.  I like that it was mentioned in the movies, but I'm also into all the EU stuff.  I don't think TFU is that much of a stretch...it has been mentioned in multiple sources that both Vader and the Emperor secretly used other force sensitive apprentices.  Vader was looking for an apprentice to overthrow Palpy, and Palpy had other apprentices available should Vader need to be replaced (Hello, Mara Jade anyone?).

I think its a cool concept, as is the Vector cross-timeline story just starting up in the Dark Horse comics.  But at the end of the day, the Clone Wars is just a cooler concept.  An army of Jedi and and clones equipped for countless battle situations? Fighting a plethora of different droids? Local armies on both sides?  Can't get much cooler than that.  Unless of course, everything is release in skittles color variations.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Since i dont have a next gen system and it will probably be several years or never when it comes to playing the game, ill say im more pumped for the cartoon. besides $400 for one game (considering im not to fond of buying games for more then $15) its just not worth it. although the figures do look nice.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2008, 01:03 AM »
Clone Wars all the way!

The Force Unleashed seems kind of crappy to me. Some items, such as General Kota and Marriss Brood, I am crazy about, while most every other TFU item seems lame. Incinerator Troopers? Shadow Guards? Secret Apprentices? Gimme a break... Well, Hasbro does give my wallet a break, cuz no coins with TFU figures means I'm only buying three instead of seven or eight. 

Clone Wars, on the other hand, has me super excited. Not really for clones, but for the potential for cool Jedi, battle droids, more Plo Koon figures, military and hopefully civilian space ships, armored ground vehicles for both the Republic and CIS, and hopefully some more Separatist leaders, such as a repaint of Durge and updated Nemoidians. The cartoon series itself looks really good, and I'm sure the toys will be pretty cool as well. The downside about the Clone Wars is that it's going to make me poor.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2008, 03:26 AM »
Clone Wars is the "bigger deal" for the year, though FU is kind of a neat side thing...  The game's popularity and fun level will play a large role in how interested in the toys I am.  If I've got KOTOR feelings, or JK/Dark Forces type feelings, I'm pretty stoked...  If I have X-Wing/TIE Fighter-ish feelings, I'll be bouncing off walls. 

If I have Battlefront feelings, I won't give a ****, and will like the figures and crap mostly for diversity.

CW though is going to deliver just a wealth of coolness to me...  So much so, that I'm dreading the financial impact.  I've got a lot going on this year with a buddy's wedding, possible traveling bachelor party, etc.  Fun, but man a lot of cool toys too...  Bro's before toys, or whatever.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77