Author Topic: 2008 Collecting Resolutions  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2008 Collecting Resolutions
« on: January 4, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I was listening to the Star Wars Action News podcast, and they were discussing resolutions that people are making relating to their collecting in the New Year.  I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone here is making any resolutions for 2008.  It seems like a lot of us got a little burnt out in the last couple years with the high number of releases, lines, exclusives, etc.  Is there anything you are changing this year - something you might be dropping out of, just spending less in general, spending more or adding new lines?  What are our resolutions for this year?

Personally, as I do every year, I'm resolving to spend less.  Although I did that a little bit last year, it wasn't nearly as much as I had hoped.  I don't know that I had ever bought each of the basic figures for an entire collection since the POTJ line, but with the coin madness, I did that last year (or will be shortly, as I'm a few figures short).  That was the wrong mindset to get into, and I'm hoping to break that this year.  I'm on the fence about the Force Unleashed figures right now, because although they do look nice, I likely won't be able to get/play the game for quite some time, and it might be an easy area for me to cut out and save a little bit of money.  Although I'm not as big of an army builder as many here, I'm thinking/hoping that will be cut back this year as well as I got my fill of those last year with a nice Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Biker Scout, and several clones that were fairly easily obtained.  I'm sure there will be more clones with the Clone Wars Series coming up, but I might be getting stocked up on other things for now.

I'm also going to try to stay away from other miscellaneous Star Wars stuff for right now.  There are still a lot of things that I'd like to get eventually (vintage era in particular), but to save money those are going on the backburner for now.  The only other line I hope to actively collect in the Star Wars area will be the Galactic Heroes, and even those won't be complete.  I need to take a harder look at "other" lines that I collect as well.  I've mostly focused on Marvel, but I've dabbled in DC, Joe, and even a couple Transformers as well.  Next year I think Marvel should be cut back, I'll get some DC, and likely Indy.  Joe will be pretty limited, if at all.  I like all of it, but just can't afford it all (or have the space for it).  Really, I'd like to limit myself to one "other" line, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.  I originally wanted to just collect Spidey and Batman, but that branched out to their entire universes eventually :).

Anyways, that's a few of the resolutions I'm hoping to make this year.  Overall, hopefully to just spend less, enjoy it more (and not stress about it), and organize my collection as the end of 2007 left a lot of stuff sitting in boxes for the time being.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Collecting Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2008, 11:58 AM »
I resolve to lose 20 pounds, er, spend less money on star wars...ah, screw it.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2008, 12:12 PM »
1.  Sell off everything except vintage
2.  Take money from sales and go buy up all the new Indiana Jones ****
3.  Try to determine exactly where I went wrong in life
4.  Repeat process thirteen years from now
« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 12:16 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I don't know when I'll sell the carded stuff, but I'm finally done buying two of everything.  I'd like to expand vintage collecting - and I want to stay current on modern Hasbro figures, but it's time to buy some new couches and a car warranty and a trip to Europe instead of more Star Wars toys that I don't have room for.

If I can muster up the willpower, the next big step will be to stop collecting any and all EU.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I'm resolving to buy a lot less Hasbro merchandise and concentrating on Kubricks.  We also bought a new house last year, so this year is all about filling it up with new furniture, I'm building a deck, and we need landscaping...  Lastly, my sons are growing up and starting to get into thier own toys, so I'm sure that I'll be spending my former Hasbro money on Thomas trains and Cars die-cast vehicles/playsets for them.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2008, 06:47 PM »
I have officially run out of room so i am thinking about no longer being a MOC guy for lines other than star wars. I think the first figures i open will be the DC Classics.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2008, 10:51 AM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2008, 10:11 PM »
1. Go through the boxes of stuff I have and see what I have.

2. Sell off most of the extra stuff I have.

3. Save more money to by not buying as much (so I could buy a house in he next few years).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 5, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Well, I'll make this simple.  To collect only what I want, not what I think I have to buy.