Author Topic: Is Mighty Muggs a waste of possible Hasbro 3.75' tooling dollars?  (Read 8253 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
In my opinion, I have to say this is one of the dumbest sub Star wars lines I have seen to date. Maybe being 30 I am biased against this Kid Robotish style trendy type stuff. But this smells like a real stinker to me, I think of the time & money invested on a line that my toy senses say will not last long.

I would have rather have seen the investment placed into the core 3.75' line. In their Q&A's Hasbro always talks about tooling $ resources being tight. Here is a prime example of it being wasted on a line that the average hardcore SW collector may pick up one or two of their favorite characters. Ask yourself would you want a SW Mighty Mugg or maybe a new Speederbike or figure tool? I will hedge my bets on the latter.

I like to know the reaction everyone has in regards to this line. Are you in or out? Collecting them all or cherry picking?
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mighty Muggs a waste of possible Hasbro 3.75' tooling dollars?
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2008, 03:36 PM »
I don't think it's a kiddy thing at all... I like them. I've gotten one, and I'm probably gonna get more down the road. It sounds like it's a real if-that's-what-you're-into sort of line.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I'm passing on them.  They don't really bother me though, the style is kind of fun.  Reminds me of oversized Lego characters.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2008, 03:59 PM »
This is a big pass for me, I though I do prefer these over the choppers.   But I do agree Jack a big waste on tooling dollars.   Money better spent on toolling up something like uhhhh.....   Playsets 
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2008, 04:06 PM »
I'm passing on them.  They don't really bother me though, the style is kind of fun.  Reminds me of oversized Lego characters.

That's kinda my take on these too.

I'm just not up for collecting the characters all over again. I've already passed on the mid-sized mini busts from GG and they are WAY better, IMO. So I have NO incentive to get the Mighty Mugg figs.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Money better spent on toolling up something like uhhhh.....   Playsets 

Exactly!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Money better spent on toolling up something like uhhhh.....   Playsets 

Exactly!

Oh heck yeah!

Playsets are the last frontier to be revisited. I do like the large accessories we've been getting with figures, but those do not replace and actual playSET!

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2008, 05:00 PM »
These things are a waste of store floor space. They need to ditch them along with the keychains.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I do want to see playsets as we all know, but I don't think this infringes on them by any means.

But they could be focusing on some cool deluxe figures instead of these.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I agree with many of the other posters so far - this line is a complete piece of trash. They are out of their minds for even wasting time, money & resources on it.

Ok - so you don't want to do playsets, then fine. How about coming out with $10 range deluxe figures that come with either a small vehicle or the PIECE to a playset.

What bothers me is that Hasbro has outright said there will not be an offering in the $10 price point range in 2008 - yeah, of course not, because Mighty Crudds are taking that space!

::)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Wow.  Why all the venom?  These things are kind of cool, and tie into the very "large-Kubrick-baby-fied Japanese-Urban minimal-design-toys" that are really quite popular in some circles.  And to complain about the tooling is silly, they esentailly all use the same template, just different paint jobs.  If I had extra scratch, I'd buy these in a minute, but my money's going to Indiana Jones in 2008.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2008, 12:37 AM »
I guess like others have said, I don't know why Hasbro bothers straying from their true bread and butter: 3 3/4.  If Muggs were imported from some small Japanese company, ok- but all of the plastic from these, choppers, attacktix, and any other weird idea would have been better served in making scale AT-Ats or something!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2008, 12:52 AM »
I think if Hasbro weren't doing Mighty Muggs, which is basically a takeoff on Urban Vinyl, they would probably be doing something else.  I don't think this would impact the 3.75" line in the least.  It might affect something else in the planogram, but what?  If anything, I see Mighty Muggs taking over the place of something like the Titanium Ultra line on retail shelves.

As for the Mighty Muggs line itself, I think that Hasbro is trying to remain relavent in the toy industry and keep up with the times.  Unleashed was their answer to McFarlane.  And Mighty Muggs is their response to Urban Vinyl.  Hasbro-Star Wars doesn't exist in a vacuum.  The team is cognizant of other things that are happening in the industry, hence this product line.  And I think it has the potential to draw in some people who might not be drawn into the Star Wars line otherwise.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2008, 01:06 AM »
I couldn't agree more Nick.  Of course the 3 3/4" line is their bread and butter as has been mentioned, but the company has to try new things to keep up with the times.  Drawing in collectors with the Mighty Muggs that have no interest in the 3 3/4" line makes Hasbro stronger and in the long run they can reinvest the profits.  Sure there's possibility for failure, but Urban Vinyl is huge these days and I think it's a smart move by Hasbro to test the waters.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2008, 02:08 AM »
I don't disagree with you JACK, that it's taking some financial commitment away from one thing to do Mighty Muggs or any of the other "sub-lines" they go with, but at the same time, these aren't doing bad at retail already in my area...  I know I can't find Chewbacca or Boba Fett, and those were the only two I wanted really badly...

I find them "cute", and if they don't go ape**** with it, I'm ok with this kind of stuff...  As someone said, it's better than choppers for sure, and a lot of their other ideas.  At the pricepoint, I don't even know who they're geared towards primarily.  $10's sort of that limbo price range.

I don't think these are things t hat are keeping playsets out of anyone's hands though either...  And another way of looking at MM's is, if they are doing well (and so far in my area they've gone through a couple shipments at just my local WM, so with that limited data, they are around me), maybe they're funding something cool we ARE getting.  Just a different way of looking at it...

They're not something I'm totally into, but I do want a handful just for on the computer desk.

Does anyone else think Chewbacca looks like this thing?

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77