Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 62810 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Headline of the day:

"Guardado traded for Hamburger "

I think if the Rangers held out for a Baconator, the Twins would have coughed it up.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Heart_of_Darkness

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 6, 2008, 07:59 PM »
I wish the Atlanta Braves would come  play in California. I can't go back to atlanta yet  :P

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 8, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I don't know if this is more appropriate in the 'The Force Unleashed' Video Game thread or not, but I was looking at the White Sox  web-site this weekend to see what channel the game was being telecast on. When I opened the link to the schedule, there on September 16th is a nice picture of Darth Vader.  When I move my cursor over the picture, it says 'The Force Unleashed', but doesn't provide a link or anything...  I wonder if LA is planning a marketing campaign that also includes MLB...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 9, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Well, I think that the White Sox have finally gotten down to their ninth life tonight... Konerko went down in the 5th with a knee injury and it looks to be serious...  So that's Quentin, Crede, Contreras and Konerko all out.  Even if they are able to limp into the play-offs, I don't see them making it out of the ALDS without these guys.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Bless your heart Carlos Pena.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2008, 08:06 AM »
Bless your heart Carlos Pena.

**** off, Mike Timlin.

(Although the offense deserves most of the blame.  Numerous opportunities to end the game with a lousy bloop single and they couldn't get it done)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2008, 09:58 AM »
You guys have won a few world series in the last couple years.  These 2 road wins were the biggest deal in our franchise's lame history.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2008, 10:36 AM »
SI.com posted a story about Curt Schilling running his mouth about New York sports fans being "bitter and mad and misserable".

Story...

BOSTON (AP) -- A shoulder injury has kept Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling sidelined all season, but his mouth is in good enough shape to take on New York.

Schilling blasted New York sports fans, calling them "bitter and mad and miserable" for their apparent glee over New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury.

Schilling talked about Brady's injury Tuesday during his weekly appearance on WEEI radio.

"The euphoria in New York is palpable," he said. "I mean, the Yankees suck this year. And they're bitter and mad and they're making excuses over that. And now, you know, now they got Tom going down, so, you know, New York's excited."

He later added: "They want us to be as bitter and mad and miserable and they are. And, unfortunately, it's not going to happen. The sad part is going to be when [the Patriots] beat the Jets next week."

Schilling has taken shots at New York in the past, and Tuesday acknowledged he's not a favorite there. But he said that's fine with him, recalling Boston's rally from three games back to beat New York in the 2004 AL championship series. Schilling famously forced a seventh game, pitching as blood seeped through his sock from a suture on his ankle.

"I was front row and center when their quote/unquote dynasty ended, so I'm OK with that," Schilling said.

Granted I am not a NY sports team fan myself, but when you suffer a season (possibly career) ending injury you really have nothing to talk about. Schilling is nothing more than a self absorbed ******* who likes seeing his name in the headlines. If anyone is "Bitter and mad and misserable" it is his worthless ass.

Dressel - Please don't remind me that I said this in defense of NY as I might have to shoot myself inspite of it!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07 AM »
You guys have won a few world series in the last couple years.  These 2 road wins were the biggest deal in our franchise's lame history.

No doubt.  They certainly surprised me this year, I really didn't think they would be able to sustain what they're doing all year and would come crashing down to earth.  It sucks they don't get many fans at their home games.

SI.com posted a story about Curt Schilling running his mouth about New York sports fans being "bitter and mad and misserable".

And that surprises you (even though it's the truth  :P)?  Schilling's always been a blowhard.  Still doesn't change the fact that the guy will never have to buy another beer in Boston for those two WS rings he helped bring to Boston.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2008, 11:59 AM »
No doubt.  They certainly surprised me this year, I really didn't think they would be able to sustain what they're doing all year and would come crashing down to earth.  It sucks they don't get many fans at their home games.

Yeah, I managed to see them a few times here in Texas, but I can't do much about it.  It's a real shame that they're not drawing bigger crowds.  Maybe if they move the thing to Tampa proper, build a real stadium, and keep winning they'll draw more.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2008, 04:13 PM »

"The euphoria in New York is palpable," he said. "I mean, the Yankees suck this year. And they're bitter and mad and they're making excuses over that. And now, you know, now they got Tom going down, so, you know, New York's excited."

He later added: "They want us to be as bitter and mad and miserable and they are. And, unfortunately, it's not going to happen. The sad part is going to be when [the Patriots] beat the Jets next week."

First of all Mr. Schilling, I'm not sure where you've been, but we beat Tom Brady in the Super Bowl and we don't need any help from the injury gods to beat him again.

Second, in the event you're referring to the Jets, everyone knows the Patriots are still the favorites to win the division.

Lastly, shut up once in a while, you're a moron.

Knashdx - no worries.  You got this one right  :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:15 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2008, 12:46 AM »
Schilling really is a huge *******.

I'm a huge Yankee and Giants fan and I don't really care that the Yankees are playing like **** this year.  Granted, I'm disappointed, but it's not that big a deal.  I've seen them win plenty of World Series.  How many have most Boston fans seen the Red Sox win?  Two?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:54 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2008, 12:52 AM »
How many have most Bostan fans seen the Red Sox win?  Two?

You guys are all spoiled... that's still 2 more times than the Rays have ever seen the post season.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Home teams determined today for the one-game play-offs at the end of the season, if needed:

The Home Teams

Happy that the White Sox will be at home if they end up having to play the Twins...  I really hope it doesn't come down to that, but the way those two teams are playing lately, anything is possible.

I'm sure Boston is happy they got home field as well...

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2008, 10:46 PM »
So last night when they announced that the Cubs/Astros series was being moved to Milwaukee, I logged in and tried to get tickets for tonight's game right when they went on sale.  Sure enough, I end up with seats right behind home plate, row 1, seats 1 & 2.  Carlos Zambrano then proceeds to throw a no hitter, the first for the Cubs in 36 years.  Unfortunately, my wife told me not to buy the tickets because we wouldn't have been able to get a sitter on such short notice.  Dammit!

Congrats to Big Z though, that's a huge accomplishment for him!  And congrats to Geovani Soto who caught him.  Quite a feat for a rookie catcher.