Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 62803 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
MLB 2008
« on: January 8, 2008, 02:30 PM »
What better way to kick off the '08 thread than with this news?

Gossage elected to Hall of Fame

Rice falls 14 votes shy; McGwire stuck at 128 votes

Posted: Tuesday January 8, 2008 2:03PM; Updated: Tuesday January 8, 2008 2:18PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Goose Gossage became only the fifth relief pitcher elected to the Hall of Fame, earning baseball's highest honor Tuesday on his ninth try on the ballot.

Known for his overpowering fastball, fiery temperament and bushy mustache, the Goose received 466 of 543 votes (85.8 percent) from 10-year members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Jim Rice was passed over yet again, getting 392 votes (72.2 percent), up from 346 (63.5 percent) last year and 16 short of the 75 percent needed. He will appear on the writers' ballot for the 15th and final time next year, when career steals leader Rickey Henderson will be among the newcomers.

Andre Dawson was third at 358 (65.9 percent), followed by Bert Blyleven at 336 (61.9 percent).

Mark McGwire, a casualty of the Steroids Era in some writers' minds, received just 128 votes -- the exact total he had last year. His percentage increased slightly to 23.6 percent, up from 23.5 percent last year when he was on the ballot for the first time.

Gossage, who fell short by 21 votes last year, joins Hoyt Wilhelm (1985), Rollie Fingers (1992), Dennis Eckersley (2004) and Bruce Sutter (2006) in Cooperstown's bullpen.

Gossage was a nine-time All-Star who pitched for nine major league teams from 1972-94 and had 310 saves -- 52 of them in which he got seven outs or more.

He will be inducted July 27 in Cooperstown, joined by five men elected last month by the revamped Veterans Committee: former commissioner Bowie Kuhn, former Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley, managers Dick Williams and Billy Southworth and ex-Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2008, 05:56 PM »
Sweet!  I actually got to see him play when I was a kid!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2008, 12:00 AM »
I can't believe McGwire is getting snubbed based on innuendo and no proof.  Sure I am sure he did stuff...he admitted to doing Andro...but who is to say Jim Rice didn't?  Or Andre Dawson?  Or Rickey Henderson?  That 70 HR season saved baseball after the strike in my opinion and he is getting blackballed...I hope every modern player gets the same treatment.

Also...

This alone should get you in the Hall of Fame

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Both Bert and Jack deserve to be in there IMH(omer)O.   :-\

When you look at the numbers, in his era, only Nolan Ryan had better stuff (wins, Ks, CGs) than Bert.  Too bad he's like 13 games shy of 300 or he'd have been in long ago most likely...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Can we ever have a HOF discussion around here without you Minnesota people whining about some random slightly-above-average Twin who you think deserves nomination?

Who's next?  Kent Hrbek?  Dan Gladden?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:10 AM »
Bert definitely deserves HOF, in my opinion too.  Did Goose choose the Yankees for his hat?

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11 AM »
I am in the camp that the Twins should trade Santana or give him a market extension.  Losing him for compensatory picks is not an option.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:18 AM »
Did Goose choose the Yankees for his hat?

The player doesn't choose the hat, the Hall of Fame does.  And I'd imagine he'd go in as a Yankee.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Did Goose choose the Yankees for his hat?

The player doesn't choose the hat, the Hall of Fame does.  And I'd imagine he'd go in as a Yankee.

I thought they got to express a preference at least.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Is Johan Santana gonna go into the HOF as a Twin, or as a Met?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:33 PM »
 :'(

He'll go in as a Met.  The Twinkies don't even exist. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:43 PM »
**** You Carl

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Bad job by the Twins.  Both the Red Sox and Yankees had better offers on the table.

The Twins just basically waved a white flag.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Bad job by the Twins.  Both the Red Sox and Yankees had better offers on the table.

I agree, they could have had starting major leaguers instead 4 maybes.  Granted, they usually have come out like champs on these (see Joe Nathan, Fran Liriano, Christian Guzman, Eric Milton, Kevin Tapani, Rick Aguilara etc etc etc) It just sucks they are going to not spend money to field the best team out there.  I wonder all the time why I'm a Minnesota sports fan :'(

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 05:07 PM »
I can't believe McGwire is getting snubbed based on innuendo and no proof.  Sure I am sure he did stuff...he admitted to doing Andro...but who is to say Jim Rice didn't?  Or Andre Dawson?  Or Rickey Henderson?  That 70 HR season saved baseball after the strike in my opinion and he is getting blackballed...I hope every modern player gets the same treatment.

Also...

This alone should get you in the Hall of Fame

Scott - Couldn't have said it better. He should be in the Hall.

Is Johan Santana gonna go into the HOF as a Twin, or as a Met?

Depending on his career with the Mets; I would venture to say he would go in as a Twin since he got his 2 Cy Youngs with us, and Strike Out King 4 years running with us.

By sending him to the NL we don't have to worry about having to face him except during with Inter-league play. Granted both teams had better offeres, we don't have to worry about him putting the screws to us 2 times a season.

I agree, they could have had starting major leaguers instead 4 maybes.  Granted, they usually have come out like champs on these (see Joe Nathan, Fran Liriano, Christian Guzman, Eric Milton, Kevin Tapani, Rick Aguilara etc etc etc) It just sucks they are going to not spend money to field the best team out there.  I wonder all the time why I'm a Minnesota sports fan :'(

They will be paying 15 million less this year than they did last year and look who all is gone (Santana, Hunter, Ford, LeCroy, Silva, Bartlett, & Tyner). Half our outfield is nothing but utility players, and our Pitching staff looks greener than the grass at the Dome. The Twins are just making it easier for the Tigers & White Sox to have good seasons this year, and it is possible that the Royals won't be the worst team in the league this year, we could be.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!