Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 62815 times)

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Not a bad start Redbirds... not bad at all...

I can't complain. Rick Ankiel is off to a great start. Now if Pujols could pick it up this team might be a contender.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Hit two gonners last night... hitting .379... he's doing fine, just needs to get the guys in front of him on base.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16 AM »
What the hell is up with the offense this year?  I was looking at the Royals stats today - their offense has been pretty quiet so I figured they'd be at the bottom of the pack.  However, despite hitting a meager .257, they're ranked 10th out of 30 MLB teams.  Hell, there are 10 teams hitting less than .250, four of those less than .240.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2008, 10:23 AM »
What the hell is up with the offense this year?  I was looking at the Royals stats today - their offense has been pretty quiet so I figured they'd be at the bottom of the pack.  However, despite hitting a meager .257, they're ranked 10th out of 30 MLB teams.  Hell, there are 10 teams hitting less than .250, four of those less than .240.

As much of a joke as this is.....better pitching!?!?

players not as good at judging the pitches as they use to be in the past. Hell Giambi and Ortiz last weekend were batting less than .100, and at present are both batting less than .140 (Giambi - .139 & Ortiz - .121).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Brian Wilson must work out.

:o
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18 AM »
The New York Daily News has a story posted about a 10 year fling with country music singer Mindy McCreedy.

I suspect that if this pans out to be true that Congress will go after him harder and faster then they went after Wesley Snipes.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 6, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Damn Cardinals!  How do you keep winning all these games?

What the Redbirds are doing so far this season is amazing... much more entertaining, and more spirited than what STL fans got to see the other years this decade when they were winning with Edmonds, Rolen and Co. 

Wow... seeing these younger guys with something to prove is a delight!  Keep it up Cards!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 6, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Damn Cardinals!  How do you keep winning all these games?

What the Redbirds are doing so far this season is amazing... much more entertaining, and more spirited than what STL fans got to see the other years this decade when they were winning with Edmonds, Rolen and Co. 

Wow... seeing these younger guys with something to prove is a delight!  Keep it up Cards!

No kidding. 2nd Best Record in Baseball, 2 game lead on closest team, and winning at all cost. Great season, and I am happy that I have the MLB package with my cable company so I can see more games.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 6, 2008, 05:21 PM »
It's a good start for the Cards at 21-12, but in such a short sample size of a month of games, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.  I like both the Cubs and the Brewers to finish a good 6-8 games ahead of them, with the Cards missing the playoffs.  I expect the Cards to be 2nd or 3rd in the NL Central standings by July 1st the latest.

Good team, and they'll finish .500-ish, but they're a bat and an arm short.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 7, 2008, 10:44 AM »
22-12... and counting... they're winning games right now in dramatic fashion.  Ankiel - 2 outstanding outfield assists last night...

Arm and a bat short?  I'm not sure.  They're pitching over their heads right now, but the guys that are having success now showed glimpses of it last year... and we'll see if either Mulder or Carpenter come back.  I really don't want to see Mulder thrown back into the mix (and most people in STL don't either)...

Their team ERA is 3.55, which is pretty damn good... hitting is doing well too... granted they're not hitting the long ball but they are finding ways to outscore the opponent almost every game.  If Glaus finds his power stroke, they're going to have a much more potent offense.  If not, i'm sure they'll hit a couple ruts this season, but so far so good.  You can just see it in their jump.  This team is full of energy and players out to prove something.

Cubs... I'm sure they're going to be tough all year long, as their offense is great.  Their pitching is a little suspect though it seems.  And I'm not worried at all about the Brew Crew. 

It's still early of course, but the Cards just had their best April in team history. And considering they were predicted to do this -

5. St. Louis Cardinals

Prediction: 70-92
Key Additions: Troy Glaus, Matt Clement
Key Losses: Jim Edmonds, Scott Rolen, David Eckstein, Troy Percival
Projected Lineup: SS Izturis, LF Duncan, 1B Pujols, 3B Glaus, CF Ankiel, RF Ludwick, C Molina, 2B Kennedy
Projected Rotation & Closer: Wainwright, Looper, Pineiro, Reyes, Mulder/Clement (if either is ready), plus Carpenter due to return mid-season & Isringhausen

Analysis: How the mighty have fallen. Since Pujols busted onto the scene until 2006, the Cards were perennial National League favorites. Now they represent a shell of what they were. Glaus might be the best power hitter to ever hit cleanup for Pujols, but is anyone going to be shocked when he ends up on the DL at some point this year? They’ll start the season with up to 3 starters on the shelf, which never a good way to kick off a season. Unless Pujols puts up a “Barry in 2001” season, I cannot see this team doing much damage, due to the lack of starting pitching, the subpar bullpen, the aging closer and the non-productive bottom of the order. And they’re a boring team to discuss, so let’s just move on.

Still early like I said... but so far the experts couldn't have been more wrong.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 7, 2008, 10:57 AM »
The Card's are playing some of the best baseball they have ever had. Granted they lost some big names, and some power, but the fact that they are getting clutch hitting and putting runs on the board still shows that they have the stuff to compete with the Cubs and Brewers. If they stay consistant (true for any team) like this and don't go through the loosing streaks that they had last year and in '04 they will be a contender in the NL Central.

Thank god Mauer got a hit last night and broke up the No-No that Chicago had going. I loath going to Chicago if the White Sox have been having their way with the Twins.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Cardinals have been pissing me off for the past 10 days... at least they won last night.  About damn time.   >:(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 02:48 PM »
Cardinals have been pissing me off for the past 10 days... at least they won last night.  About damn time.   >:(

In the same 10 days since my May 6th post, I might add.

:P

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Go............Rays?!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 11:10 PM »

In the same 10 days since my May 6th post, I might add.

:P

Curse of the Dressel.   :-X