Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 63013 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2008, 08:15 AM »
So what's gonna happen with the fans in Philadelphia?  Are they going to be humble about winning their first professional sports championship in 25 years, or are they gonna be like the people in Boston, and turn into a bunch of dicks?

(Sorry, Mikey.) 

Hey now. I've been a dick long before Boston teams started winning.

It's true, though.  Success brings out the ********.  But it's not just limited to Boston, it just happens that Boston is currently enjoying a run of championships and competitiveness.  I seem to remember Lakers fans and Yankees fans (especially) being just as bad when they were winning seemingly every year.

Good to see the Phils finally starting to hit.  Hopefully they win tonight.  Don't want to go back to the Trop after losing with your best pitcher on the mound and give the Rays hope.  End it tonight, celebrate and party hard.  Just don't burn down the city - I want to catch the Red Sox in Philly next year.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2008, 09:24 AM »
So what's gonna happen with the fans in Philadelphia?  Are they going to be humble about winning their first professional sports championship in 25 years, or are they gonna be like the people in Boston, and turn into a bunch of dicks?

(Sorry, Mikey.) 

I won't take offense either (being from Philly.) However, in Philly, that's just they we they are, 24/7.  :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2008, 08:11 AM »
What a cluster****.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Never quite expected that. Was interesting to learn that they could have called the game if the Rays hadn't scored. Even though I'm routing for the Philliies, that would have sucked.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2008, 09:37 AM »
The umps did the right thing by allowing the Rays a chance to tie the game before calling it. The backlash that would have ensued would have been enormous.

IMHO if they had called the game without letting the Rays get a chance to tie it would have been a blow to baseball worst than the 1994 strike. The entire integrity of the game would have been destroyed. The backlash at Selig would have cost him the Commissioner job (not like he deserves it).
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Yeah, the Rays scoring that tying run really let Baseball off the hook. 

Regardless, that game was bull****.  The strike zone was a joke, and they should never have been playing in that weather. 

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Well this blows. Game 5 was just postponed until Wednesday night at the earliest. The weather here in south jersey is really crappy. About 40 degrees, strong winds, and pouring. Ive heard that Philly has seen snow flakes.

My question is who does this benefit more? Its potentially a 3 inning game. Do you throw your game 6 starter or led with the bullpen. How about Lidge for 3 innings :P

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Well this blows. Game 5 was just postponed until Wednesday night at the earliest. The weather here in south jersey is really crappy. About 40 degrees, strong winds, and pouring. Ive heard that Philly has seen snow flakes.

My question is who does this benefit more? Its potentially a 3 inning game. Do you throw your game 6 starter or led with the bullpen. How about Lidge for 3 innings :P

I suspect taht they will go with the game 7 starters and if you need a game 7 then you have someone start on 3 day rest.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I'd expect the Rays to go with David Price.  He's got closer type stuff, but is usually good for more innings.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I read something on Yahoo this morning that both teams need to start with the same line-ups that they ended with yesterday.  And the Ray's manager said he had no intention of changing pitchers.  Granted this was last night, but I could see them keeping Balfour in...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #220 on: October 29, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Congrats to the Phillies and their phans

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2008, 11:29 PM »
Indeed - congrats.    :)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Congrats to the Phillies, their fans, to Rollins and Burrell for sticking it out so long in Philly and it paying dividends for them, and to Lidge who seems to have finally gotten over his 2005 post-season meltdowns.

I really hope Longoria doesn't allow his World Series performance to affect him too much moving forward.  He's a great player and has a great carreer ahead of him, so I'd just hate to have him labelled as the next A-Rod (where play-off performance is concerned).
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2008, 08:38 AM »
First championship Ive seen in my life time and I was asleep. :( Its alright, Im out to buy my championship gear now.  ;D

Did you guys happen to see my post on Oct 1. Yea, I called it.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2008, 08:54 AM »
First championship Ive seen in my life time and I was asleep.

And I'll be giving you a bunch of **** for it this weekend.  You should have had Astar wake you up. Mom is mighty disappointed you missed it.  :-*

Congrats to the Phillies, their fans and to Philadelphia for finally winning a championship.