Author Topic: Fanboys (The Movie)  (Read 7864 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Fanboys (The Movie)
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:59 PM »
I couldn't find a topic on this but I have a question.  It was supposed to open next Friday, 1/18, but I can't find any information on that on the various "coming soon" sites like IMDB.com, AICN, BoxOfficeMojo, etc. 

The Weinstein site still says 1/18/08 but MGM, who is distributing, doesn't have a single mention that I coudl find.  The local theater doesn't have any posters up and the manager said he wouldn't know till Tuesday if it opens next Friday.

Anyone here know any more? 

I've been looking forward to this film since before they dropped all the teaser footage on us at CIV but there hasn't been a single TV or radio spot for this, I can't find anyone but fans talking about it on-line..it's like it's a big secret if it's actually coming out.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Fanboys the movie
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:51 PM »
It was supposed to be released 1/18/08 but most sites I checked are just saying 2008. Checking around more, it appears they have done more reshoots by a different director & some that have been involved are saying March/April maybe June.

From the IMDB Fanboy board:

(Sun Jan 6 2008 20:49:23)
The guys indicated in their interview today that the reshoots were intended to give the film a "bigger" feel. The Weinsteins apparently wanted to take a small film and give it more scale. They still talked a lot about the "heart" of the movie. So maybe they aren't trying to strip it of it's emotional side.

Also, the movie should finally be completed by next month. And it looks like TWC is leaning toward a March/April release.

I agree with others out on the net, just go & steal a copy.  :D

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:26 PM »
That post was newer than the last one I'd found.  This is the first I'm hearing the March/April release info though.

I know they were supposed to do pick up shots in September and that got postponed till November or so.  But, depending on what they were filming it still could have sneaked in for a 1/18 release.  I wonder if the writer strike had any impact on it, though.  The Weinstein web site still shows 1/18 as of today.  You'd think if they wanted the new footage they'd update their own web site to reflect a new release date.

They showed probably 45 minutes of clips at CIV but I understand they had a rough cut for Celebration Europe.  Maybe it didn't show as well as they hoped.  I think it's got potential to be very funny and entertaining, I just wish they'd get their **** together on it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:23 AM »
I heard they were doing reshoots (including one that has a Kevin Smith cameo) but never said when exactly it was coming out.
I remember my dream now.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05 PM »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27 AM »
I don't think this movie is ever coming out.

E...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2008, 12:01 AM »
Remember this flick...

Release date is expected to be Septemeber 19th, so thay say. 

Fanboys Triumphant: Kevin Spacey Crashes Fan Movie Awards

COMIC CON 2008: "Fanboys" Exclusive Featurette!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Remember this flick...

Release date is expected to be Septemeber 19th, so thay say. 

Fanboys Triumphant: Kevin Spacey Crashes Fan Movie Awards

COMIC CON 2008: "Fanboys" Exclusive Featurette!

It's about damn time!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Fanboys (The Movie)
« Reply #8 on: August 5, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Awesome, because movies that are delayed this many times and re-worked over and over always turn out good!
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 8, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Hmmm, before a September 19th release date & now on Weinstein's website a release date of November 26th 

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 8, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Hmmm, before a September 19th release date & now on Weinstein's website a release date of November 26th 

But it still is set to be released....better than in Weinstien hell.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 8, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Anyone else notice the description of the film on the Weinstien site appears to still be the non-cancer plot?

E...

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 8, 2008, 09:33 PM »
Thats the main reason why the release has been delayed so much. They were changing the plot.
I remember my dream now.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 9, 2008, 12:31 AM »
The changes were to take the cancer plot out.  But according to Kyle Newman and Kevin Spacey at Comic-Con they were putting it back in.  But since that was the original cut, you wouldn't think that it would take that long to put it back together.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 12:56 AM »
That ************ Harvey Weinstein has pushed this film AGAIN.  Harvey Weinstein explains it all for you.

I love the line about how Comcast is going to do all this advertising for them.  Let's face it, January is where films go to die when the studios have no faith in them (cancer plot) or they just suck (cancerless plot).

Just skip the theatrical release, drop the DVD on us with all the extras, multiple cuts and actor/director/producer commentary they have, sell it for $25 and be done with it.

E...