Author Topic: Realistic Clone Wars 3D Figures  (Read 51764 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Realistic/Movie Style Clone Wars figures
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02 PM »
My opinion/thoughts are the same as they were 2.5 years ago -

when is the best time to sell things to kids?  While it's hot/hip/new/fresh/exciting.

That's why we are seeing the animated figures first.  Do the animated style figures first, cash in on the kids (and uber-completeists) with the initial excitement of the movie/cartoon.  If they collect some average collector cash too, it's a bonus.  

Then, once the kids move on to the next thing or get bored, Hasbro goes back and does the realistic style type figures for us.  The uber-completeists & some average collectors take another hit and the other collectors they missed before buy in finally.

[snip]...By doing the animated stuff first, you get the casual folks to buy some animated first, then try to get them to re-buy characters in realistic style later...

I see people saying "when the animated line fails, then they will make realistic style" like Hasbro needs to learn some lesson from this... how do we know that wasn't their plan all along?   Maybe they sat down and decided "we'll sell as much animated as we can to kids and then sell the realistic style once the animated has run it's course"? Makes sense to me and certainly flows with things they've done in the past to extend the line...  ;)

It's like Pete just said - it's the same thing they did with the first CW series = cash in on the animated style while it's hot; regress to the "realistic" style later to pick up all those you missed the first time through.  ;)

Them coming out with a "realistic" style Ahsoka et al was only a matter of time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:05 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Like others, I was all for a realistic styled line when they started the CW stuff.  That said, I have since picked up quite a few of the CW animated figures (in the minority here so far it seems), and I do like them for what they are...and several really fit in with "realistic" figures pretty well I think.  Personally, I'd be all for seeing realistic versions of a number of CW characters, although I don't necessarily need them all either.  I am wondering though, if the animated line isn't necessarily "hot" anymore, as mentioned.  Pegs do seem pretty full right now, but there is a lot (repacked) out there and the new season hasn't quite started yet.  The CW figs seemed to be flying off the pegs for the most part for the past couple years, outselling the "movie" stuff, but I'm wondering what we'll see going forward.  Is CW really slowing down, or just SW in general...or is the Vintage craze stealing some of the thunder?

Back to topic, I'd be pretty psyched to see realistic versions of characters like Ahsoka, Cad Bane, etc. - along with the mainstays (Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc.) in their CW "armored" versions.  If it starts taking over the whole vintage line, and bumping off movie characters (particularly OT characters, since PT/CW can cross over), I don't think I'd be too happy.  It is interesting to hear though.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2010, 12:41 PM »
Back to topic, I'd be pretty psyched to see realistic versions of characters like Ahsoka, Cad Bane, etc. - along with the mainstays (Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc.) in their CW "armored" versions.  If it starts taking over the whole vintage line, and bumping off movie characters (particularly OT characters, since PT/CW can cross over), I don't think I'd be too happy.  It is interesting to hear though.

That's the key, if there are still two separate line i do not want CW realistic taking too many slots. If CW animated style falls to the way side then it obviously would give at least another 2 waves back to the realistic line.

While C5 is more adult collector oriented the long winded interview over at scum did not cover any CW animated specific questions. Some came up in passing but nothing direct, maybe it's reading too much into it but you never know. You would think specific questions would have been brought up. Maybe it is slowing down. As Brian mentioned the Season 3 premiere will be the tell tale sign. I am sure they will do well, I expect this line to be around at least another 2 years until 2012.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2010, 03:13 PM »
This seemed inevitable (not matter what Hasbro said...remember "WE'"LL NEVER MAKE THE CLOUD CAR, BUY A VINTAGE ONE, THEY ARE ON EBAY"?)

I preferred the Tartakovsky series figures done in realistic style. The thing was, that microseries was so...micro...short-lived, that producing more in that style would've added to a very niche appeal subset, so limited that there wouldn't be much point in making them. That, and the animated style figures they made were barely articulated, and I didn't even buy those on clearance.

Making the CGI Clone Wars character in animated style only made sense, the series will run some 5 years total. I think it would matter to kids if the characters didn't look like the show, actually. I've warmed up to them a lot (if only they'd stopping short changing the figures articulation). I can totally understand longtime collectors not buying the animated toys for compatibility reasons. (A long time GI JOE collector, I've mostly avoided the modern era lines because they've changed the scale of the figures, making most of the pre 2007 stuff uncompatible with the previous 25 years.)

But, anyway, if this series is supposed to be "canon", then at least some principle characters could stand to be made realistic form, like Ahsoka and Cad Bane. Not sure there's much reason to make characters like Capt. Argyus or Clone Trooper Fives in realistic format, though, or at least anytime soon.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2010, 03:35 PM »
My opinion/thoughts are the same as they were 2.5 years ago -

when is the best time to sell things to kids?  While it's hot/hip/new/fresh/exciting.

That's why we are seeing the animated figures first.  Do the animated style figures first, cash in on the kids (and uber-completeists) with the initial excitement of the movie/cartoon.  If they collect some average collector cash too, it's a bonus.  

Then, once the kids move on to the next thing or get bored, Hasbro goes back and does the realistic style type figures for us.  The uber-completeists & some average collectors take another hit and the other collectors they missed before buy in finally.

[snip]...By doing the animated stuff first, you get the casual folks to buy some animated first, then try to get them to re-buy characters in realistic style later...

I see people saying "when the animated line fails, then they will make realistic style" like Hasbro needs to learn some lesson from this... how do we know that wasn't their plan all along?   Maybe they sat down and decided "we'll sell as much animated as we can to kids and then sell the realistic style once the animated has run it's course"? Makes sense to me and certainly flows with things they've done in the past to extend the line...  ;)

It's like Pete just said - it's the same thing they did with the first CW series = cash in on the animated style while it's hot; regress to the "realistic" style later to pick up all those you missed the first time through.  ;)

Them coming out with a "realistic" style Ahsoka et al was only a matter of time.

I think I was on board with this notion too, and I agree.

Personally, I'm fine with this for the most part...

First, Figures like L8-L9 and other figures from the original CW series were originally sculpted realistically, not the reverse.  Kind of ironic then to see complaining that these were done realistically. :)

Second, I'm with CHEWIE and others on the issue that I don't care for the animated looking figures, but I'd like realistic figures of them to fill in the gaps in the history of the saga that now don't have figures.  IE: the majority of the war. 

I mean, I've got all these clones, but no Rex to go with them.  I've got lots of Ani's and Obi's, but not Ani and Obi from the war (well, the full armor Obi from early in hte war I guess).

I'll buy...  Plain and simple.  I didn't want animated, I passed and saved money, and now they're going to dip into them and that's great to me I guess.  Anything that sucks I'll pass on I guess.  But getting an Ahsoka and Ani like pictured above though, that's going to kick ass IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2010, 04:05 PM »
I agree completely... Ahsoka and characters like her would be great to get in realistic format.  Same goes with Rex and Phase One Cody, and so many other characters I don't even know too well.  It seems like a good formula for Hasbro... and if figures look cool, I buy them.  Even if they make figures that I don't know who they are from the animated series.  I can use them for background characters in dioramas, such as Coruscant citizens, Tatooine, or just a mish mash of figures that don't really have a home.

And for the record, I remember looking back and thinking the CW animated stuff might do okay, but I wasn't excited about it.  Part of me kind of hoped it would bomb and they would go realistic style early on, because I am such a fan of the toys in the realistic style.  I think for a while I also thought they would do horrible at the onset... I guess I always had mixed feelings about it.  I remember buying wave one and wave two, then decided it just wasn't a style I cared for and have bought very few figures from that line since then.

Anyways, it's going to be interesting to see where this leads... look at a character like K'kruhk, who was originally animated (I think), then turned into a realistic design in the comics.  He translated into an outsanding figure, as did Roron Corobb and the Yoda w/ Kybuck Steed.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I have mixed feelings on this. Even though I have nearly the whole Clone Wars animated line, I would have no problems with re-buying some of the characters, such as Cody, Anakin, Ahsoka, and Rex. My problems would stem from the inevitable step down in quality. The realistic figures seem to lack the durability that the Clone Wars figures seem to have. It's nice being able to pose a Clone Trooper without losing a hand, stretching the legs out, or worrying about a helmet that doesn't completely cover the head.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I can see this as a very strong possibility.  Clone Wars continues to outsell the collector oriented movie realistic figures in a big way.  Making Clone Wars characters available in the movie realistic line may breathe some life into that line and generate some crossover sales with PT and OT characters.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Maybe they do outsell the realistic figures, but from what I always see at retail, that doesn't seem to be the case.  And I rarely see on the boards people refuting that. 

Not saying it's not true, but I've always felt that part of the reason that Hasbro pushes that line so much is because the cost per figure is probably less on their end due to the decreased sculpting details(and often articulation).

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Since re-starting collecting in 1996 I've seen many figures I 100% passed on and back then decided to only buy what I liked the look of and not worry about completist ideals.

CW line has some horror figures as does all of the OT and PT based lines and then there's the stand-out figures.

From when CW line came in I've collected the ones I like in conjunction with the regular movie based line cherry picking the ones I like the most,so if the CW line is taken in this direction I'll simply do the same.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind it in small numbers... but I'm not particularly interested in TCW to begin with.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55 PM »
And now you know why I never purchased a single animated style figure.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I was about to say hell to the no, but after seeing pictures that JACKOFTRADZE put up, I actually don't think I would mind seeing these, only because Hasbro's running out versions of the main characters to make.

However, if Hasbro does this, I think it should be limited only to the core characters of the show. Like someone mentioned, seeing a realistic version of Captain Argyus or some other minor character is somewhat pointless.

One thing to consider, though, is would this make it into TVC? Hasbro has said countless times that TVC will have a stricter focus and will be less EU. So why use the potential, extremely limited EU slots on characters that we just saw in the other line? Personally, I'd much rather get a 'Star Wars: Legacy' Darth Wyyrlok over a realistic-styled TCW Anakin. So, that being said, would these, if being made, make it into a non-TVC line? So far we know that there was only one EU wave for TVC planned, which was broken up and scattered throughout the line. And then with more video game characters from TFU2 and TOR coming out in 2012, it'll be a tight squeeze for realistic TCW figures.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Meh...It's another "line" for me to collect if Hasbro goes down this route.  I'm getting burnt out enough with things as they are so it might just be another sign for me to say goodbye and move on.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Keep in mind, although I am against the idea and discourage it in every way, I will still buy them.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."