Author Topic: Realistic Clone Wars 3D Figures  (Read 51755 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Style for the Clone Wars 3D Figures?
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I was just re-reading this and noting how many people are going to pass on this sub-line.  I bet many who do, will buy the Big New Falcon.  It's as if Hasbro knew there would be lots of collectors passing, and filled the void with a giant ship that can gobble up our cash!

Yep, that's what I thought too. The money I'm saving by not getting the animated line, will be sapped away by what I'm spending on vehicles this year.

Yep... not to mention the Indy stuff too.   :-\

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I was just re-reading this and noting how many people are going to pass on this sub-line.  I bet many who do, will buy the Big New Falcon.  It's as if Hasbro knew there would be lots of collectors passing, and filled the void with a giant ship that can gobble up our cash!

Yep, that's what I thought too. The money I'm saving by not getting the animated line, will be sapped away by what I'm spending on vehicles this year.

Yep... not to mention the Indy stuff too.   :-\

I'm not getting Indy stuff either. Actually my fianceé is an even bigger Indy fan and she doesn't want the toys. So it became an easy pass for me. Though I may get the "Adventure Heroes" portion of the line. But the rest, no. I've got Halo 3 figs to hunt down. Those are a real pain in the arse to find. I certainly don't need to take more from my wallet by purchasing yet another line.

Hasbro for the most part got it right however. By delaying SW for several months, they get people salivating to by toys. They know there are Indy fans out there who will buy the stuff up. Many of which are also SW fans. By not having the two lines compete when the new Indy toys/movie is released, there is a built-in demographic of buyers. Same can be applied somewhat to Iron Man and Hulk toys. Neither of which I'm buying either-begrudgingly so for Iron Man as I'm a fan. But I've got to cut back some way. So, not starting another collecting is one of the best ways to do just that.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Well I will be buying the Indy figures.  And maybe making a diorama or two also... but, I might actually be able to pass on the ToD stuff... never really liked that movie as much as the others.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Yeah, I will be buying some Indy stuff for certain.  I would buy more but have to watch my pennies a bit.  I am definately excited for the Indy line.  More so than the Star Wars animated line...until I see the movie of course. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Interesting answer...

Q. Why did Hasbro decide to make their Clone Wars figure line incompatible with the rest of the 3.75" figure line? When it comes to play-patterns and the ability for Hasbro to reuse body-parts/components from previously released figures, this move seems like a huge gamble. Has Hasbro thought of the possibility that many collectors will pass on the figures in this line (like they did for the previous cartoon Clone Wars-inspired line) because they do not conform with the other line that has been running since 1995?

A. We did not decide to make that decision ourselves - it was a collaborative decision reached with Lucasfilm in order to best match the on-screen entertainment to the toy line.  For the vast majority of kids who will be enjoying the new entertainment, this will be the relevant figure line.  Since the kids will vastly outnumber the collectors this Fall, especially for Clone Wars, this is a decision we felt was the easy one to make.  However, as discussed previously, collectors did contribute to our thinking.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33 PM »
That was my question from the JTA forums.

The answer sucked.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #126 on: June 1, 2008, 07:48 PM »
from most of the collectors I've heard from they aren't crazy about the animated style and will be skipping most it. Understandably it doesn't fit with the other characters. Personally i really like it. i collect the animated statues and like the style. I'll have a separate section to display them :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 2, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I still can't believe how people don't get it yet.  It is an animated movie aimed towards kids plain and simple not adults.  Yes, die-hards of all ages will go to the movie as well (and complain about it) but clearly it is aimed at a YOUNGER audience.  So, they are going to make the figures look animated just like the series.  Why is this so difficult for people to wrap their brains around?  Why be mad at Hasbro and Lucasfilm for this?  It makes total freaking sense.  You have realistic versions of all of these characters except whomever happens to be a brand new character.  More than likely Hasbro will crank out realistic versions of those as well.  I understand if you don't want to buy the line because it's animated, but why all the hatred toward Hasbro about it?  It's just odd to me. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 3, 2008, 08:41 AM »
More than likely Hasbro will crank out realistic versions of those as well.  I understand if you don't want to buy the line because it's animated, but why all the hatred toward Hasbro about it?  It's just odd to me.

You just summed up my argument for me - the fact is that we all know that realistic versions of Captain Rex, Ashoka, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ventress and any other new characters that are cool will eventually be made.

So my problem is - why wait? Just do it now.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 3, 2008, 01:37 PM »
I'm still passing on the animated style, save for ones that I think might work for custom parts.

But, I'm starting to be more and more glad they are going with this style since it's going to save me quite a bit of dough this summer... which will have to go towards the Falcon, perhaps two AT-TE's, etc.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 3, 2008, 03:59 PM »
More than likely Hasbro will crank out realistic versions of those as well.  I understand if you don't want to buy the line because it's animated, but why all the hatred toward Hasbro about it?  It's just odd to me. 

Makes perfect sense to me.  Fans have a lot invested in the line-- time, money, love-- and now we're seeing a big chunk of it altered into this other, unknown thing.  A lot of fans are going to get animated figures if they want them or not (free Clone Trooper in the AT-TE, for example), but it's totally obvious to me why fans don't like the idea of the new figures being this weird style that doesn't mesh with the line they've been buying for a few months, or over a decade now.

We're not a logical bunch-- our gut says "it's different! kill it! kill it!" because most "other" lines Hasbro and Kenner have given us have a very short life (Epic Force, Collector Fleet, Micro Collection), or are cycled in and out (Buddies, Unleashed, Playskool/Galactic Heroes) before ultimately succeeding or being slaughtered.   I have no doubt most fans are under the assumption (as this is what I'm assuming) that the animated line may be a flash-in-the pan which if we like, we *can't* collect for too long because Hasbro will pull the plug, or that if it does well, it may take the place of the movie-style line eventually, thus ending our decade-long affair with thousands of small plastic men.  Either scenario isn't particularly rosey.

We want to see Hasbro do well, and we want the line to continue and to be great.  But competing action figure lines of the same brand typically compete for resources, and well, I can understand why people are worried one may clobber the other.   Since we can't see inside Hasbro's magical meeting rooms, we don't know what their plans are for sure, but it certainly looks like they're pitting two styles against one another this year rather than showcasing one strong uniform line.  Hopefully everything will just do awesomely and continue as long as we're interested in buying.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 3, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Well said.

I'm also growing rather tired of Hasbro's attitude that the collector base doesn't really factor into the viability of the line.

In my personal life, I can look at eight boys who all passed through the optimal age range that Hasbro is looking for between the years of 1999 through 2007. I know what these boys have because one is my step-son and the rest are my nephews. I can honestly say that (a) about 60% of the Hasbro Star Wars stuff they ever acquired as kids were gifts from their Uncle Pete; (b) that if I were to add up all of the stuff that their parents and I bought for them, and then compared it to the amount of stuff I have purchased over the past 13 years, it would be at least a 1:30 ratio between the amount of stuff these kids have vs. the amount of stuff I have; and (c) I'm still collecting and not a one of them are even interested in Star Wars toys anymore - sure when they visit they're interested in seeing what some of the new toys look like, but for the most part, they typically drill me about whether or not I've heard if The Force Unleashed release date has slipped or when the cartoon will be starting or if there will be another movie - they aren't interested in toys anymore.

So what's my point? At any one time, the kids may outnumber us, but that is only because kids ARE the target audience for the figures. However, in terms of long-term interest in the line, continued purchasing patterns, loyalty to the brand and money to spend, we (the collectors) should reign supreme when it comes to Hasbro trying to decide whether or not to make a change to the line.

Let's LOGICALLY look at the situation Hasbro has put themselves in - regardless of what Lucasfilm wanted.

Kid A - he's seven years old and his dad just took him to see the Clone Wars animated movie in theatres. He wants to get Anakin, Ventress, Rex and Ashoka action figures to play with. He will go to the store, find those figures and buy them. He's looking for specific characters. The style of the figure does not play a role. The figure should look "cool" and entice him to buy it, but if he wants the figures, he will nag his parents for them.

Collector B - he's spent the last 13 years collecting the "realistic" style figures. He's passed on Force battlers, the Animated Cartoon Network Clone Wars figure line, and other junk because they aren't in the same scale and/or they aren't in the same style. You have shown him that even if you make a figure in an animated style, down the line, a realistic version will be made. Motivation for buying an animated version of Ashoka, Captain Rex or Anakin? Non-existant. Conversely if you made the figures in a realistic style, that collector is right there with at least $500 on July 26th looking to make a substantial investment in the Clone Wars line.

One could argue that from a business perspective, Hasbro has taken a gamble with the style change. Now all we have to do is sit and wait to see if that gamble pays off. Come Christmas when the pegs are CLOGGED with the Clone Wars Turd Yoda figure, we'll see that it did not.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2008, 05:46 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 4, 2008, 09:03 AM »
I have to agree with Adam and Pete here.

Many of us bought into the previous cartoon line because we knew it would be a limited run and wouldn't replace the realistic line. Hasbro isn't being totally straightforward about this. I'd imagine sales will be great for one quarter (summer) then ok for the fall quarter due to the run-up to Christmas. This may give Hasbro a false impression that the animated line is a success.

Kids are fickle and just don't have that attention span that we adult collectors do. Granted there are some exceptions, so I'm not discounting all of the kids out there.

With all of the choices the kids have nowadays,  movie toy lines (not including SW) only have a short window to garner as much sales a possible. Usually 3 months, After that look for clearances. It's already started with Indy figs for cryin' out loud.

Anyways, back on topic. While I've lessened my toy runs, mostly due to gas prices, still I rarely ever see actual kids in the action figure line, and more specifically looking at SW toys. Or if they do it's for a minute or two. If they don't find that ONE figure they are looking for they move on to something else. We collectors scour the pegs. There's usually more than one figure we're looking for and we'll take the time to check not just the front figs on pegs but all of the EIGHT deep figures on EACH peg.

The nail was hit on the head that it's been the dedication and loyalty of the long time collector that really has kept this line viable. Hasbro does through us the proverbial bone on occasion with the obscure background character. However this change of format (even though they are keeping-albeit in a much smaller capacity-the realistic line) is a smack in the face of collectors.

Sure some collectors will get the new line, but more and more I'm hearing on several collecting websites that collectors tire of getting the same characters over and over again. Just because it's in a new style means nothing to them.

I like many will be waiting Hasbro out for realistic version of the NEW characters from Clone Wars. If those never come, I really won't be disappointed.

Going to Pete's comments about the ratio of his purchases compared to his other family members, My collecting reflects this as well. Again pointing out the number of kids or even parents who are buying for their kids in the action figure isle, I rarely see them there and even less buying.   For the last three years at least I've bought $6K worth of SW each of those year. I'd like to see how many kids that really accounts for. I'd say a good many. Being liberal let's say a kid gets $500 dollars worth of SW toys a year (and I think that' VERY liberal), I'd account for at least 12 kids worth of purchases alone. Considering the nearly kid/parent bare SW aisles I see each time I go to a store, and knowing there are other collectors like me in my area that shop the same stores I do, I just don't see how the kiddies purchases add up to even a few collectors.

Not that it would ever happen, but just think if for one year collectors of ALL toy lines didn't buy toys, what would that do to the toy industry? I won't even have to guess here, I'll just come out and say MANY toy lines would falter and/or fail.

SW would most certainly take a hit.

This lull in between SW toys has made an impact on SW collectors. Some have saved, some have collected other line (and many of those being NON-Hasbro lines). While others have taken this time to filling their collection holes via eBay and the like. That's all money Hasbro has LOST. Why? They chose to focus on other toy lines. Marvel, Iron Man, Indy and even Hulk.

It is indeed a wait and see attitude many of us are taking, If Hasbro goes the way of animated figs for SW for good, then I for one will be saving a ton of money. And I'm certain many like me will even be relieved at that point because we can consider that book closed on collecting "little plastic men."
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: June 4, 2008, 09:49 AM »
The nail was hit on the head that it's been the dedication and loyalty of the long time collector that really has kept this line viable. Hasbro does through us the proverbial bone on occasion with the obscure background character. However this change of format (even though they are keeping-albeit in a much smaller capacity-the realistic line) is a smack in the face of collectors.

If Hasbro is going to keep giving me things like the BMF to apologize for the "smack in the face", I hope the animated line keeps going...  I'd much rather spend $150 on that than 20 new figures.  ;D

Seriously - "albeit in a much smaller capacity"?  This summer/Fall, we're getting around 30 basic figures, 6-10 comic packs, 3-4 $20 vehicles, 3-5 more Evo packs, 4-6 new Battle Packs, two vehicles over $100, etc etc.  And that's only what we know is coming, there is more to be revealed at SDCC plus exclusives.

Do you think it's a coincidence that they chose this Summer, the one filled with a bunch of animated figures that collectors may not like/buy, to give us TWO $100+ vehicles?  It's like somehow they knew that most adult collectors just might have some extra money for that sort of thing this summer...

This lull in between SW toys has made an impact on SW collectors. Some have saved, some have collected other line (and many of those being NON-Hasbro lines). While others have taken this time to filling their collection holes via eBay and the like. That's all money Hasbro has LOST. Why? They chose to focus on other toy lines. Marvel, Iron Man, Indy and even Hulk.

Not to be a jerk, but "Marvel, Iron Man, Indy and even Hulk" (along with TFers and GI Joe too) are all Hasbro lines, so they are still getting plenty of collector money this summer...   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 4, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Seriously - "albeit in a much smaller capacity"?  This summer/Fall, we're getting around 30 basic figures, 6-10 comic packs, 3-4 $20 vehicles, 3-5 more Evo packs, 4-6 new Battle Packs, two vehicles over $100, etc etc.  And that's only what we know is coming, there is more to be revealed at SDCC plus exclusives.

Do you think it's a coincidence that they chose this Summer, the one filled with a bunch of animated figures that collectors may not like/buy, to give us TWO $100+ vehicles?  It's like somehow they knew that most adult collectors just might have some extra money for that sort of thing this summer...

I agree with part of what you're saying here. As far as Hasbro is concerned, many of the items you're referring to are part of their Clone Wars line. The AT-TE, V-19 and Homing Spider Droid - while all able to pass as vehicles for the realistically styled figures, are part of the animated style figure line. Same thing goes with several of the battle packs they have planned.

I think what people are forgetting is that there will be PLENTY of Clone Wars stuff too. Whether you get it or not (and it seems like most collectors are indeed passing on the figures), you have to acknowledge that a lack of purchases of this new animated line will, by Christmas shopping season time, hurt the Legacy Collection.

Target has two DPCI #s for TAC and Legends. To all Target employees the two lines are the exact same thing and I've had to beg and plead with Target employees over the last year and a half to get them to bring out more TAC figures when the pegs were choking on Legends stuff. Come October, we will all be in this exact same situation with the animated garbage choking the pegs and not a Legacy Collection figure to be found.

So what does that mean for the health of the line? Well, while I doubt the quantities of product will ever match the levels that were seen during EP1, I think a mass lack-of-support for this animated sub-line will hurt ALL of Star Wars, not just the animated line. Sure it will get Hasbro to stop making animated style figures (hopefully once and for all) - but it will also mean that retailers will be ordering LESS of the Star Wars product for their stores. That does no one any good.

I guess my frustration really boils down to that from my perspective we are about to enter a loose-loose situation where either (a) the animated line will sell really well and Hasbro will "reboot" the figure line in a new animated style or (b) the animated line will rot on the shelves, Hasbro will drop the concept, but retailers will order less SW product, making the figures possible to find, driving collectors to online outlets and with a lack of brick-and-mortar store interest in the line, it could really be the start of the end.
Peter