Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2008 Discussion  (Read 18562 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2008 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I don't disagree against a super keen SA Wave like:

Anakin Skywalker w/ Podrace and Naboo Pilot Helmet and Padawan Head
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ultimate)
Queen Amidala (Red Gown)
Jar Jar Binks SA
Darth Maul (w/ ball elbows)
Nute Gunray SA
Qui Gon Jinn (Evolutions Rerelease)
Battle Droid

I like this list that Scott posted above as well.  Although we all like to see new characters/figures, I think much of the Episode I line (main characters in particular) could stand to be re-done.  There really hasn't been much in the way of TPM figures lately (which I was ok with), but we're due for some re-dos of some of these.  I thought Hasbro mentioned in a Q and A at some point that TPM and AOTC Obi-Wans would be on the way in the next couple years, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 10:05 PM »
I think there should be a separate wishlist round for resculpts. That might be cool.

Not a bad idea in the least.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I think there should be a separate wishlist round for resculpts. That might be cool.

Not a bad idea in the least.

I agree with this a bit. That way we can vote on the Top 10 never-realeased figures from each movie, and then have a Top 10 resculpt list from all 6 (or 7) movies, CW, etc and then they could get thrown into the voting for the overall Top 25 list. What say you, Scott? I know this is your baby, and might be a little more work for you.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Defender Wishlists 2008: The Phantom Menace
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I am surprised no one else wants Weazel, its a good way to get a modern almost Willow.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2008: The Phantom Menace
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Rune Haako, something tells me that you really like Nemodians. I just cannot put my finger on it yet......

I'm impressed he was able to come up with a full list of ten. :D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Maybe next year we can do a resculpt wishlist...as I said, resculpts generally only 1-2 spots per movie

One other thing I was thinking about RE both TPM and AOTC...how long has it been since definitive main characters have actually been on the pegs (TPM is probably 2000-2001ish and AOTC 2003-2004).  Hasbro has very keen keeping Vader, Luke and Han on the pegs...what about Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan and the Darths?  It is sort of a double standard to me.  And I base this on the fact that my 6 year old has tons and tons of OT figures but hardly any prequel stuff outside of ROTS figures...and that is mainly based off the fact that there has been jack squat for a long, long time

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 11:32 AM »
It seems like the majority of the Ep1/2 stuff that has appear in the last year or two has either been Maul (carded, evolutions, etc) or lots of Ep2 based Battle Packs (Geonosis Arena, TRU Arena Creatures set, Droid Factory, etc).

And, I like having the resculpts mixed in with the regular lists as it forces you to think about what you really want to get from each movie to try to get it down to a "top ten" list.  You have to weigh the want for resculpts vs. the want for "new" figures.  Adds a bit of challenge to it and it's interesting to see how that plays out for various people.

If you start adding a wish-list for resculpts, why not one for droids only... or one for troopers only... etc etc.  Having more and more wishlists just dilutes the whole thing IMHO.  We are already at 8 wishlists (80 picks), do we really need another 10 picks to capture your "most" wanted figures? 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Is this where I do my lapdog routine and ask the moderators to bless me for going with groupthink?  Is Mr. Hood eligible for voting, or essentially considered "confirmed" in 2009?  Help me, because I can't think for myself. :-*

Check that.  My lapdogness to the mighty JD moderators has paid off.  Question answered, Willrow confirmed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:21 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Scott I do agree with you to a point about main characters for the prequels.

We definitely need SA Obi and Qui-gon (single carded) on pegs. Maul and Dooku haven't had too much respect lately, but for reissues of Maul. There are still MANY Padme outfits that can be released. I'd actually like to see an SA kid Anakin as well as....SA Jar Jar.

My point being is that while I'd like to see some of the main characters back on shelves, I don't want them there unless they are extremely better versions. Perfect or near perfection, especially with regards to articulation.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Maybe next year we can do a resculpt wishlist...as I said, resculpts generally only 1-2 spots per movie

One other thing I was thinking about RE both TPM and AOTC...how long has it been since definitive main characters have actually been on the pegs (TPM is probably 2000-2001ish and AOTC 2003-2004).  Hasbro has very keen keeping Vader, Luke and Han on the pegs...what about Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan and the Darths?  It is sort of a double standard to me.  And I base this on the fact that my 6 year old has tons and tons of OT figures but hardly any prequel stuff outside of ROTS figures...and that is mainly based off the fact that there has been jack squat for a long, long time

This is a good point Scott.  Aside from ROTS, the prequel figures (main characters in particular) haven't had the best showing the past few years.  I mean, I'm more of an OT fan and all, but it would be nice if they started having some of the TPM and AOTC main characters back out there again - for new collectors and kids (or ultimate version resculpts for all).  Our nephews have really been getting into Star Wars the past few years, and although they may be in the minority, they do seem to take to the prequel movies a little more (although they enjoy them all).  The characters they always want to "be" or "play" are Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Maul, Grievous, or Yoda (and occasionally Luke, because they like all of the Jedi).

I'm one of the (maybe few) collectors that likes the fact that we have a Han, Luke, Chewie, etc. on the pegs every year, especially if they use the best sculpts/figures that we have available.  Heck, I just got the Jedi evolutions set this weekend, and I already hope they release Qui-Gon on a single card so I can get another one (same goes for Jango).  I wouldn't mind them sticking the Evolutions Maul, Dooku, AOTC Anakin out there again, and then get to resculpts of some of the others.  Even though they might not be the most loved characters, its kind of surprising that we haven't seen new or single carded versions of TPM Anakin, Jar Jar, Obi-Wan, and AOTC Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, etc. for awhile (some since the POTJ line).  I used to think that would be a good outlet if they wanted a "Legends" line, fill it up with figures like VOTC Han, EB Chewie, Evo Maul/Dooku/Qui-Gon/Jango, etc. so that the main characters are out there for everyone throughout the year.  Speaking of which, on an unrelated topic, I remember the VOTC Han being taken out of the Legends voting because he was "being released in another way in 2008".  After Toy Fair, I wonder what that avenue is.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:52 AM by Brian »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 04:04 PM »
And, I like having the resculpts mixed in with the regular lists as it forces you to think about what you really want to get from each movie to try to get it down to a "top ten" list.  You have to weigh the want for resculpts vs. the want for "new" figures.  Adds a bit of challenge to it and it's interesting to see how that plays out for various people.

If you start adding a wish-list for resculpts, why not one for droids only... or one for troopers only... etc etc.  Having more and more wishlists just dilutes the whole thing IMHO.  We are already at 8 wishlists (80 picks), do we really need another 10 picks to capture your "most" wanted figures? 

Quite logical, Jeff, and I concur with the fact it could get out of hand. I guess I just like doing these Top Ten list, and Who's Left, etc.  ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I'd say I'm in agreement that the way we have this going right now narrows it down a bit while still giving some choice.  If you really start branching out, like Jeff pointed out, you sort of water the whole process down and it's really not a narrow wishlist anymore...  I know, at least for myself, that if it went with a resculpt list, I would have a LOT of freed up space then since that's a lot of what I really hope for...  At least right now anyway.

I can always find somethign to replace a figure as we get them of course, but ultimately I think this format really forces you to make tougher choices, and as we've seen in the past, our wishlists seem to come partially true every year...  Hasbro's seemingly listening, so our lists also change every year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 7, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Anybody have some good links for pics of characters?  SW.com is pretty weak.  Basically what I'm looking for is the different costumes worn by a given character (like Padme) in a given movie (like AOTC).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 7, 2008, 10:46 PM »
Wookieepedia seems to have the best photos.  I think they have one entry that's dedicated to nothing but Padme's wardrobe.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2008, 10:57 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: March 7, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Basically what I'm looking for is the different costumes worn by a given character (like Padme) in a given movie (like AOTC).

Not sure on other characters, but Scotty put together some great stories on missing Padmes a while back...

Missing Figures: Episode I Padme Amidala
Missing Figures: Episode II Padme Amidala - Part 1
Missing Figures: Episode II Padme Amidala - Part 2

(was that 4 years ago already?   :o)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender