Author Topic: 2008 Clone Wars Packaging Revealed  (Read 11069 times)

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:44 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Clone Wars figure package reveiled!
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Slick looking... I like them.

But man, it is going to be hard for carded collectors to keep those antenna points minty.  :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2008, 09:39 PM »
I'm getting the feeling that these figures are gonna be animated style.

It looks kinda cool I guess, nothing can take the place of the TAC packaging though... :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2008, 09:43 PM »
   That looks nice. Kind of reminds me of the Revenge of the Sith package, only lighter and cooler.
   I'm really hoping that the figures themselves are in the animated style so I do not feel compelled to buy them. From the two-minute preview shown at CIV, the vehicles don't look to be dramatically altered going from the movie style to 3-D animated style, so I think those toys  would be fine.
   Also, the July on-shelf date for these packages, does anyone think that the action figures will be out then? If the August 8th movie release rumor is true, then I believe that everything will it in July. If not, I think Clone Wars toys will be a little later on in the year and July will just hold the debut of Clone Wars:The Bedsheets and Clone Wars:The Flamethrower.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Wow.  That's kinda cool, and different.  By the way...the figs will NOT BE animated style.  Hasbro has said so, over and over.

I'm curious to know what the "regular" figure line will be called, and what the packages will look like.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Wave 3 - Clone Wars
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2008, 09:49 PM »
As per Starwars.com  Clone Wars toys will hit the Shelves on july 26th.
and by the looks of the new packaging design.   it looks like the new figures for the cartoon will be in the cartoon style.
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: 2008 Wave 3 - Clone Wars
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2008, 09:49 PM »
The Ofiicial site says that the Clone Wars TV show figs are hitting July 26, so maybe they're just making sure that the pegs are clear.  March to July without figs isn't that long...especially with Indiana Jones in May.

Hasbro has stated that the figures will not be in the Animated Style.  They can't use a picture of Hayden C. on the package, becuase that would make no sense.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2008, 09:50 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Looks cool...part of me thinks they will be animated style like the show. I think they will be in the middle ground of realistic and animated.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Clone Wars Packaging Revealed
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2008, 11:01 PM »
I think they will be in the middle ground of realistic and animated.

I have considered that too, and really thought about it more after seeing Wave 3 Obi-Wan Armor's figure...  When you look at his headsculpt, you see an element of the animated series to it, but still a fairly realistic looking sculpt...  Something that sort of translates well I guess.

Did anyone else get that imrpession from that figure, in particulary, other than me?

I know Hasbro's said in the past that they weren't doing animated figures, speedermike, however that was seemingly directed at the basic line as it was at that time...  That we heard a rumor on Snowbunny Padme, and they just were stressing that she'd be realistic, and that the sub-line of animated figures that was out around that time or something was dead.

That said, this is a new line, and a whole new line for a whole new property really...  There IS a rumor being swirled around (whether the source is reliable or not, that's up in the air) that the new line's animated sculpting...  I dunno.  If it is, I'm gonna save a ton of money.  If it's realistic, I'm not.  If it's in between...  I guess I'll take it as a case-by-case thing, and not commit to buying the entire line.

It strikes me odd though, that wave 3, which is pushed back, is sculpted seemingly realistic style, and NOT just put into the Clone Wars banner...  If those are on 30AC cardbacks and in a separate line, it just doesn't make sense to separate them.  They're all Clone Wars afterall...  Unless there's a difference in these lines.

I'm personally wishing they're realistic sculpts, but I'm not sure they're gonna be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2008, 05:58 AM »
By the way...the figs will NOT BE animated style.  Hasbro has said so, over and over.

Yes they have, but they were always referring to the Genndy Tartakovsky series.  Not this new series.

The image of Anakin there on the packaging should be all you need to know about the look of this upcoming line. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2008, 07:15 AM »
Again in the past Hasbro had said the figures were going to be realistic.  However, I think that was for the old clone wars show.  For this one they probably want to promote the new show as much as possible.  I think that is why they will be in the animated style.  Yeah, the adult collectors may not go for it but the whole point here is to attract new collectors/kids.  They will try it out at least. 

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 5, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Okay so they won't be the CW season 1 or 2 style. I think we can all agree to that. It wouldn't make sense to make CW3 in that style as they are completely different.

It's the sticking point of whether they will be CW3 style or realistic. Hasbro may be fudging the lines between realistic and animated. I can see them saying the CW3 is more realistic an not cartoon. But that doesn't jive. CW3 style IS still a cartoon style if not the same as CW1 and 2.

The packaging leads me heavily to believe the figures will be CW3 style.

If so, I'm saving money on the action figure line. I do NOT need to collect these figures all over again. I will certainly pick up one at least for the packaging. The vibe I get on the vehicles is that they will be realistic as that translates well to both the realistic and cartoon lines well enough.

In a way I AM hoping they are animated style so I CAN save money on the line.  I just hope after the cartoon that the line doesn't remain animated style. But if it does, I can hang up the action figure portion of the line at least. Maybe that's a good thing...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2008, 08:57 AM »
No question about me putting a carded collection to rest starting here. I'll be interested to see the figures end results. Would be weird to have an animated picture, but a realistic figure.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 5, 2008, 09:48 AM »
I kind of like the packaging too, for what it is.  I mean, I'll always prefer styles like the vintage, OTC, and even TAC line, but this is for a cartoon - and seems to fit well.  As far as the style of the figures go, I kind of think that they might be animated as well (to an extent).  I'm thinking something like Jesse mentioned with the TAC Wave 3 Obi-Wan figure.  I think they'll have somewhat "normal", articulated bodies, but the headsculpts may show a bit of an animated influence.  Like others have said, I think that Hasbro was talking more about the previous Clone Wars series when they said they weren't making anymore animated figures.  I don't think we'll see any more of the extreme animated, no poseability figures from Hasbro - at least not in a large release.  This new Clone Wars series could go on for years, and will likely be an ongoing line for at least awhile, so I think they'll be articulated "action" figures, but the likeness is up in the air for now.

I guess I'm in the minority, but if I'm being honest, I'll probably collect them either way.  I'd rather see a more realistic style to fit in with everything else, but I know when it comes down to it, I'll likely be collecting the line.  I think the vehicles will be able to fit in either way, which is a good thing for everyone.  Anyways, back to the packaging, it looks pretty nice and will definitely stand out on the shelves I think.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 5, 2008, 09:53 AM »
You have to admire the work that Pilot does.

They really do get it.