Author Topic: Legacy Wave 1 - Return of the Jedi  (Read 51666 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 1 - Return of the Jedi
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Is it? Hadn't noticed yet. Cheesy.

The new ewok is the same mold as the 30thAC ewoks (both were).  And that Comic Pack with 3 Ewoks all appear to use the same sculpt as well.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2008, 10:17 AM »
-Bane Malar...  he wasn't in the film so I find him odd, but great.  Scott mentions his height and I too was shocked how short he is.  Dinky...  The gear is cool.  Removable bandoleirs would've been better though.  His holster is crossdraw and that rocks.  Sure it's a small detail but I dig the looks of a cross draw holster.  The new rifle is outstanding, and the pistol is also new (compare it to the last one, it's new) and more accurate.  Articulation, spot on...  Great job on this one, even if it is really just EU.

Alright, I wasn't paying attention to the conversation I guess because I missed this.

He doesn't appear in the movie at all?  I always thought he was in there for a few frames.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 1, 2008, 09:58 AM »
I popped open the back half of this wave and simple put, it's cool.

Ak Rev - Nicely sculpted, glad I never bought 2 of the other guy to complete the drum.

Yarna - despite this figure being low on my wants list, she came out very well.

Bane - just a very cool figure.

Vader - the 2 piece helmet gag is cool, but it's kind of cheesy that that's all that new. This seems more like a pack in figure.

R7 - It's another droid, there was much rejoicing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: August 2, 2008, 02:51 AM »
-Bane Malar...  he wasn't in the film so I find him odd, but great.  Scott mentions his height and I too was shocked how short he is.  Dinky...  The gear is cool.  Removable bandoleirs would've been better though.  His holster is crossdraw and that rocks.  Sure it's a small detail but I dig the looks of a cross draw holster.  The new rifle is outstanding, and the pistol is also new (compare it to the last one, it's new) and more accurate.  Articulation, spot on...  Great job on this one, even if it is really just EU.

Alright, I wasn't paying attention to the conversation I guess because I missed this.

He doesn't appear in the movie at all?  I always thought he was in there for a few frames.

I think it depends slightly on your POV...  Some people are saying he is the guy pushed down the stairs by Boussh and Chewbacca.  However if you look close, the helmet on the guy in that scene is 100% not Bane Malar's helmet, but rather it appears (at least to me, as near as I can tell) to be "Sgt. Doallyn's" helmet...  Who gets offed at the Sarlacc Pit in a grey-ish colored jumpsuit. 

Some people think the guy pushed down the stairs is Doallyn in just another different colored outfit.  Honestly I can't tell at this point, but to me the guy pushed down the stairs is not Bane Malar, as the helmets aren't a match and that's the only thing I can see clearly in the scene.  I don't see the bandoleirs, or even the color of the jumpsuit clear enough.  It looks black to me, not that dark blue, but that's probably a whole other debate too.

The guy shoved down the stairs also isn't particularly short it seems, not that he's tall either.  But Malar's dinky, even compared to generally smaller characters/figures (Padme for instance).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 2, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Okay, so where did Bane Malar come from then?  I take it he at least a character on set that maybe didn't make it into any shots?

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 2, 2008, 07:43 PM »
I thought he was one of the people in ANH on Tattooine walking down the streets of Mos Eisley.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 2, 2008, 08:28 PM »
I thought he was one of the people in ANH on Tattooine walking down the streets of Mos Eisley.

I guess it's possible, but the back of his card says he's one of Jabba's denizens.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: August 2, 2008, 08:38 PM »
From Decipher (where many, many OT characters have come from and were named)

Anyhoo...here is what Hasbro had to say about Bane

Rebelscum: Who is Bane Malar? We ask the question rhetorically, as we'd like to hear Hasbro's take on the figure. Best as most of us can tell, he's a photoshopped character from the Decipher Star Wars Customizable Card Game. From what we can see he's not visible in the film, and while he's easily confused with the character that gets thrown down the stairs when Boushh brings Chewie in for the bounty, the EU has established that character as Sgt. Doallyn. Stills from the film bare out that there are differences in the helmets between Decipher's Bane, the character that gets thrown down the stairs, and then Decipher's Doallyn, which they have incorrectly labeled as Skiff Guard from the Carkoon sequence - with yet another, albeit similar helmet.

Can you help illustrate the process by which a character like this gets chosen, and perhaps tell us what the bio on the card back will read? While the figure looks great, it is one of the more "confusing" choices out there, and we'd LOVE to hear YOUR take on the Malar/Doallyn confusion.

Hasbro: Bane Malor is a character drawn from Lucasfilm archive reference material to which we have access. We double checked with Lucasfilm just to make sure, and indeed he is in on-set photos, but whether he actually made any background scenes has yet to be determined. He is without a doubt a different character from Sgt. Doallyn. Malor was actually brought to our attention during a past Q&A session, and became part of the "parking lot" that we regularly draw from when creating waves for a specific movie. At the time we selected him, we assumed he was on screen somewhere and was interesting to us, our own team favorite pick to complement Yarna (who is a deliberate nod to the fans). While it'll be a little wait before we actually do Doallyn, he is definitely on the short list for the next time we plan plan for a RotJ wave.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 3, 2008, 01:58 PM »
Funfact: Yarna's head and Bane's head have the same size ball joint. You can stick Yarna's head on Bane's body to make an interesting looking custom.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 3, 2008, 03:48 PM »
You can stick Yarna's head on Bane's body to make an interesting looking custom.

A Bane head would look pretty interesting on Yarna, too. :D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 4, 2008, 04:55 PM »
You can stick Yarna's head on Bane's body to make an interesting looking custom.

A Bane head would look pretty interesting on Yarna, too. :D

I did that too, doesn't look as interesting.  :P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 4, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Yarna is a great figure in my opinion.  I like that she comes with a dagger.  She can defend herself against all the horny people that want some 6 breast action. 

Anyway, which figures make up the R4 build a figure?  I have to complete it now. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #147 on: August 4, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Yarna is a great figure in my opinion.  I like that she comes with a dagger.  She can defend herself against all the horny people that want some 6 breast action. 

Anyway, which figures make up the R4 build a figure?  I have to complete it now. 

WAVE 1: ROTJ
Build-A-Droid: R4-D6

BD1: Han Solo (Left Leg)
BD2: Luke Skywalker (Right Leg)
BD3: Chewbacca (Dome & Foot)
BD4: Leektar & Nippet (Body)

and

Greatest Hits
GH1: Commander Gree (R4-D6 Left Leg)
GH2: Kashyyyk Trooper (R4-D6 Right Leg)
GH3: TFU Battle Damaged Darth Vader (R4-D6 Dome & Foot)
GH4: TFU EVO Trooper (R4-D6 Body)

« Last Edit: August 4, 2008, 07:36 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 4, 2008, 11:31 PM »
Finally got around to cracking the other half of wave open today. Note that I haven't bought Ak-Rev yet due to its preposed nature.

Luke - Best figure of the wave, my only complaint is that you can't make him look down due to a thick Adam's Apple/chin sculpt. Other than that, everything is perfect and I hope they reuse this body for the DSII Duel Luke. Oh, and I hope they give him his actual ROTJ saber and not a green AOTC Kenobi saber. ;)

Yarna - My second favorite of the wave, just beautiful other than a few small paint flaws on the "tube top" and stomach areas. She'll look great with the rest of the Jabba crew.

Chewie - Good figure, nothing special though. Could have been much, much worse.

Ewoks - Again, a good figure(s?) but nothing extraordinary, they're Ewoks and are always welcome.

Vader - I think it's an awesome figure, they really made the removable helmet work flawlessly. Maybe it's because I was expecting a crappy execution, but I really like this figure, and will (hopefully) never have to buy another Vader ever again.

Bane - He's alright, a little too small but he looks cool as some kind of terrorist/hired gun. I might buy another for that reason alone.

Han - Awful, the VTSC body sucks and the packaging warped the legs on mine so it's even more useless. The head is slightly too big for the neck peg and thus comes off easily. It also looks like Dustin Hoffman and not Harrison Ford.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 5, 2008, 12:15 AM »
WAVE 1: ROTJ
Build-A-Droid: R4-D6

BD1: Han Solo (Left Leg)
BD2: Luke Skywalker (Right Leg)
BD3: Chewbacca (Dome & Foot)
BD4: Leektar & Nippet (Body)

and

Greatest Hits
GH1: Commander Gree (R4-D6 Left Leg)
GH2: Kashyyyk Trooper (R4-D6 Right Leg)
GH3: TFU Battle Damaged Darth Vader (R4-D6 Dome & Foot)
GH4: TFU EVO Trooper (R4-D6 Body)

That's some invaluable info there Jayson, thanks a million!