Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2008  (Read 46490 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2008
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Only comment I'll make is it sure seemed like you guys were pitching crazy this year compared to last year's draft. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2008, 12:19 AM »
I'm trying to be more balanced... it's all a blur, but one year I went way too heavy on batting and my pitching suffered tremendously.  There was one year where I came in 3rd (out of a mere 7 teams), but that's the best I've done.  I still haven't quite figured the baseball one out yet and for the most part I don't have injuries as an excuse like I do in Basketball this year.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2008, 07:49 AM »
I can think of at least 4 rounds in a row where I was going to take a pitcher and someone picked him right before I was going to...so I waited, I am ecstatic over my bats, my starting staff needs some work (and I hope Liriano comes through :-\)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26 AM »
The Yahoo page says we start with games on March 24th, but I don't have anyone playing (and it's only one guy) until 6 days later.

Is that normal?  Are there even any games before that?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2008, 10:44 AM »
The Yahoo page says we start with games on March 24th, but I don't have anyone playing (and it's only one guy) until 6 days later.
The first game I'm aware of is March 31st...

Only comment I'll make is it sure seemed like you guys were pitching crazy this year compared to last year's draft. 

As evidenced by two of my starting pitchers projected to start the season on the DL, I'm glad I picked up a few extras...  I'm very pleased with the bats I picked up, but I'm worried about that pitching staff...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2008, 01:23 PM »

Is that normal?  Are there even any games before that?

The Red Sox and A's play two games (that count) in Japan while everyone else is still playing exhibition games. (They start at the convienent time of 6AM EST Tuesday and Wednesday the 25th and 26th if anyone wants to watch them) The Red Sox then return to the West Coast and play a couple of exhibition games against the Dodgers before starting up again against the A's with regular season games (that coincide with the start of the normal regular season for everyone else).

And yes, it's ******* stupid.  Blame Bud Selig.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2008, 04:47 PM »
That explains it - I just don't have anyone on those teams then.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2008, 04:58 PM »
That explains it - I just don't have anyone on those teams then.

Man, I have 5.  Harden (who's starting game 2), Street, Papelbon, Ellsbury, Lowell.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Looks like you'll get to spend the first week at the top then.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Looks like you'll get to spend the first week at the top then.

I think I've started every single fantasy baseball season that way.

Just haven't been able to hold on lately  ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2008, 07:12 PM »
I guess if your hitters started cold, Harden gets the L, and Papelbon blows a save you could start off somewhere other than 1st.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00 AM »
I guess if your hitters started cold, Harden gets the L, and Papelbon blows a save you could start off somewhere other than 1st.

Got muscles?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:22 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2008, 03:46 PM »
So I couldn't pull the trigger and drop both of the hurt Angels I have in my roster, but I'm sure I'll eventually drop them both.  They are saying mid-May at the earliest for Lackey to return to the starting rotation and you have to figure that his first 3-4 starts are going to suck...  That puts him in June before he could be back to form.  With Escobar, he is on a throwing program and they speculated that he'd be back in May, but he was quoted yesterday saying he feels terrible.  Not the kind of quote you want to hear from one of the Angels top two starters from last year...  So I dropped Escobar and am seriously thinking of doing the same to Lackey.  Damn, I wish I would have seen that they were both hurt before we had the draft >:(!

I am a bit ticked off though that the White Sox dropped Josh Fields to the minors because they can't deal Crede.  He was a solid utility player.  I added Mark DeRosa from the Cubs, another solid utility guy, but I'll see if he gets a lot of playing time this year or not.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2008, 05:56 PM »
Don't drop your hurt guys yet.  We have two injured reserve spaces on our rosters (IR).  Yahoo probably won't move anyone to IR until the season starts in full.  At that point, assuming yahoo and the teams designate them as IR, you can move them there and pick up replacements without dropping them. 

Not the same for anyone sent to the minors though.  You can either sit on them or drop them to pick someone else up.  I'm watching to see if my catcher is sent down ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Don't drop your hurt guys yet.

Too late...  I already dropped Escobar before you posted.  I'll hold on to Lackey then and hopefully be able to pick up someone good enough to get me through the first few months...