Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106863 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #256 on: June 1, 2014, 01:33 AM »
I hope they also get better writers.  Into Darkness was pretty horrible....even by trek "standards".
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 1, 2014, 02:59 PM »
^ Totally agree. Some more imaginative or at least not-lazy writers would be a huge improvement.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 1, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Wasn't Orci one of the writers of Into Darkness, along with many other terrible, terrible movies that have been released over the last few years but have somehow made millions and millions of dollars? These are the types of people that need to be blacklisted from Hollywood, not directing major blockbusters.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 2, 2014, 10:08 AM »
I just watched Into Darkness this weekend and thought it was pretty good for an action flick.  The special effects, more focus on fighting, and the character likenesses made the plot holes a lot more tolerable for me. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 2, 2014, 01:42 PM »
I enjoyed Into Darkness. I liked the scenes on earth were things didn't look much different from the way they are now. I kept thinking how is star wars going to look done in this style or re-imagined this way. It's not as good as Warth of Kahn, Undiscovered country, first contact or Voyage home but it stands up well.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #261 on: June 2, 2014, 01:49 PM »
I thought it was one of the stupidest movies ever written.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 2, 2014, 02:02 PM »
I enjoyed Into Darkness. I liked the scenes on earth were things didn't look much different from the way they are now. I kept thinking how is star wars going to look done in this style or re-imagined this way. It's not as good as Warth of Kahn, Undiscovered country, first contact or Voyage home but it stands up well.

ST2 - WOK was easily one of my favorite movies from my childhood.  That cat & mouse fight in the nebula at the end was pure genius.  I was never much a fan of the others in the original series, but I'll always have a soft spot for that one.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #263 on: June 2, 2014, 08:45 PM »
I liked both the new ST movies...  My gf actually really enjoyed them too, plotholes and all, so I'm looking forward to whatever they come up with going forward.

I'm pretty easy to please at a movie though...  It was a popcorn flick to me and I enjoyed it.  I never felt like the originals were all that heady either, so I like the reboots.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 4, 2014, 02:14 AM »
I thought it was one of the stupidest movies ever written.

I agree. I dubbed it Into Dumbness when I first saw it. I always believed Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman were glorified hacks, writing the first two god-awful Transformers flicks, and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they also co-writers on Superman Returns?

I watched Into Darkness this last weekend on Netflix (and it bothers me it's like the most popular thing there right now) and I couldn't help but roll my eyes all over again at all the things I didn't like when I first saw it. I want to like it, but it's too hard.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 4, 2014, 08:10 AM »
What didn't you like?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #266 on: June 4, 2014, 08:37 AM »
A shorter list would be what DID I like...

The worst offenders:

- a hand-held interplanetary transporter that makes the concept of starships ridiculous
- focusing all their effort to apprehend Khan to harvest his super blood to revive Kirk, when they had 70 other frozen super-blood-cicles sitting in their cargo bay
- Khan's plan to rescue inmates from a secret high-security cryo-prison by hiding them in torpedoes (which are apparently constructed in the SAME FACILITY as the prison ... otherwise transferring all those coffin-shaped boxes out of the prison and to the secret high-security weapons manufacturing plant should have raised some red flags)
(it's also worth mentioning those torpedoes could have been fired off AT ANY POINT, resulting in the deaths of the cryo-prisoners... hell, they almost launched EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM)

The movie was spectacularly stupid.  Which makes me worry all the more about EP7.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 4, 2014, 10:21 AM »
It's kind of like how someone on here (Was it you, Bill?) commented that it felt like they had the ending and worked backwards to the beginning...  someone wrote a big post here when the movie came out about this.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #268 on: June 4, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I still like this one...

If you want further proof of just how stupid this movie is, enjoy: 
http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #269 on: June 4, 2014, 10:45 AM »
It's kind of like how someone on here (Was it you, Bill?) commented that it felt like they had the ending and worked backwards to the beginning...  someone wrote a big post here when the movie came out about this.

That probably was me.  I did my fair amount of railing against it after I saw it, and that was one of my theories.