Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106964 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #300 on: May 4, 2016, 10:56 PM »
The subscription aspect is probably more of a deterrent to me, too.  Unless CBS thinks that this show has the potential to be the centerpiece for this service. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 5, 2016, 11:57 AM »
I would certainly be interested, but I'm not going with a subscription service for one show.  I imagine there are a lot of people that think the same way.  However, lots of people are paying for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., so who knows how it will work out.

Not sure if I would do it for THIS Show, but $6 a month is pretty cheap compared to on demand/rental costs.  A new release movie off comcast is $5-6 for 24 hour rental, so getting however many episodes of Star Trek for $6 a month seems pretty fair in comparison.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2016, 08:33 AM »
New Star Trek Beyond trailer is up...

Star Trek Beyond Trailer #2

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Interesting.  The Star Trek franchise has taken an interesting turn from space exploration to confrontation.  I hope the story for this one is good and not just a series of look what we can blow up.  Seriously, how many times can the Enterprise get tore up before somebody loses their job permanently?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2016, 11:03 AM »
Meh - I feel like this one has the potential to be a letdown.  There was nothing in that trailer that made this a must see for me.   :-\
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 22, 2016, 04:42 PM »
I think this one will under perform and they'll reduce the budget to future installments (this one has big budget, but it's less than Into Darkness), if not consider taking the film franchise in a new direction.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 7, 2016, 10:45 AM »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 7, 2016, 01:45 PM »
"Oh, My!"

:D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 7, 2016, 03:49 PM »
I don't get it, because George Takei is gay?

Does that mean Spock is gay because Zachary Quinto is?  ???

Nothing against it, Star Trek has pussyfooted around the subject for decades now. Only DS9 had a few lesbian bits, one for the Mirror Universe, the other two Trill symbiotes that currently had female hosts reconnecting in a taboo against Trill culture. TNG had an episode about a genderless society that imposes non-gender by force...not the same thing.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 7, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Does that mean we will see a Sulu with romantic "green alien dude in a Speedo" scene like we saw in the reboot movie with Kirk and Uhura's roommate?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 7, 2016, 05:32 PM »
Does that mean we will see a Sulu with romantic "green alien dude in a Speedo" scene like we saw in the reboot movie with Kirk and Uhura's roommate?

Yes it does.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #311 on: July 7, 2016, 07:59 PM »
I assume it's kind of an homage to Takei himself as a guy who put up with the less accepting (not that everyone is now obviously) society he grew up in maybe?  Maybe just a little pat on the back to him, and his character, since it wasn't really ever touched on in the movies at all.  Like a "hey, why not?" thing.

I got a newfound appreciation for Takei when he became a part of the Stern Show...  He's beyond funny and naive in a weird way.  He falls for every prank they play, and is up for anything.  Just has a generally good personality.  Met him once in Pittsburgh at a toy show, and he was among the nicest dudes I ever met at a convention.  I always think that says a lot about who they are as people because that has to be some trying stuff on a person's patience.

Marina Sertis (butchered that spelling I'm sure) on the other hand...  yikes, she seemed kinda angry.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 7, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I assume it's kind of an homage to Takei himself as a guy who put up with the less accepting (not that everyone is now obviously) society he grew up in maybe?  Maybe just a little pat on the back to him, and his character, since it wasn't really ever touched on in the movies at all.  Like a "hey, why not?" thing.

I kinda saw it the same way.  George Takei seems to have transcended the Sulu character since he came out very publically.  And if the new films can give him some recognition in that regard, why the hell not?

On a non-ST Beyond related note, I've been hearing more about this new CBS streaming service.  Word is that CBS/Paramount will be pulling most/all Trek content from other services like Netflix and Amazon Prime, and it will be available exclusively on the new CBS streaming channel.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2016, 08:27 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #313 on: July 7, 2016, 11:06 PM »
A friend of mine from work who is a die hard Trek fan hates all things JJ Abrams.  He sat out Into Darkness and is doubly pissed about what Paramount has done to the fan community recently with Axanar and Star Trek Continues.

This Sulu crap will piss him off even more!  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #314 on: July 7, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Apparently Takei himself feels it's not what Roddenberry would've wanted, but then again the Trek franchise hasn't been what Roddenberry wanted since back in the TNG days before he died, and IMHO it improved without him after he died.  :-X

But then again I also like the new movies, but not in the same ways or reasons I liked TNG/DS9 and to a lesser extent Voyager.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77