Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 107202 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2016, 12:25 AM »
Voyager was eh.  I'm a Defiant guy myself.  The Enterprise E was interesting too, and had that DS9 Dominion War vibe to it.  I agree this has a Klingon look to it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2016, 12:59 AM »
The aft section of the ship looks... Klingon!

I've not read up on Discovery so I'm not sure where in the timeline this stands, but if it's after the Klingon/Federation peace treaty, it might make sense for them to collaborate the best of both's technologies when producing a starship.  I think the saucer section seems a little small, but I'm interested in learning more about the show now.  I half expected to see the Starfleet and Klingon sigils combined on that ship.  And the music makes this seem a more militaristic themed show.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2016, 10:12 AM »
The hull number on Discovery seems to predate that of Enterprise on TOS by a significant timespan.  Discovery's designation is NCC-1031.  The Enterprise's hull number is NCC-1701.  So it seems that this ship may be from at least a generation before that of the TOS.

What gets me about this series?  It's reportedly going to be available on Netflix (which I have), but *NOT* in the United States or Canada.  And I really don't want to sign up for another streaming video service.  I feel like I'm being nickle and dimed to death as it is!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2016, 11:11 AM »
I'm all about the new show.

Recognizing that the Discovery was the McQuarrie Enterprise while watching the teaser was about the most geek moment I've had in a long time. I love the ship and also think there is some Klingonish elements to it. Another clue is the music in the teaser which is reminiscent of past Klingon cues. That's one reason I think the show could take place in the post TNG era. The registry would indicate otherwise but I don't know I would put much stock in that, as the registries during the TNG era were not always simpatico with what was understood. Another example is Star Trek Beyond. MILD SPOILERS - The USS Franklin is apparently a ship that predates Archer's Enterprise, the NX-01. The Franklin is stated as being the first Warp 4 ship; the Enterprise was the first warp 5 ship, yet the Franklin's registry is NX-324. What is very likely with the Franklin given the circumstantial evidence in the movie is that she was refit and/or reclassed at some point in her service life and given an incongruous registry.

The Discovery registry is an apparent nod to the space shuttle Discovery's registry - OV-103 - and that may be all there is to it. That said there were some rumors at one point that the show was taking place in The Undiscovered Country timeframe and maybe there's something to that. Myself I'd prefer going forward, but I'm up for whatever this show has got.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Anyone see Beyond? I'm on the fence and my roommate says it's alright but isn't worth seeing.

I thought the trailer was underwhelming, but I really enjoyed the movie.  I'm also not a Star Trek purist and I wasn't ever that into it growing up, but it felt more like an episode on a huge scale and I thought it was well done and enjoyable.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2016, 10:16 PM »
USS Discovery First Look.

Ugly. What was the last decent looking ship? Voyager?

The aft section of the ship looks... Klingon!

I thought the same thing.  It's like they just took the top of the Enterprise and glued it onto a Bird of Prey.  That has to be the laziest design ever.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Having seen it now, I have to say that Star Trek Beyond continued the NuTrek (or whatever it's called) traditions of:
1. Hard to watch action sequences (My eyes must be getting old.)
2. Beastie Boys music
3. A talented actor cast as a crappy villain.* (Though, that predates NuTrek, back to at least the last two The Next Generations movies. Seriously, after Nemesis I though Tom Hardy was an awful actor...he's taken much better parts since.)
4. Relying some reveal to distract from what is, at best, a mediocre story with clumsy exposition. (Though, I think a recent trailer may have given the "twist" away.)

*I won't comment more on the villain, because that's gives away too much if you've managed to avoid spoilers.

There's a lot of aliens whose heads look like sea creatures. I almost expected Hammerhead to appear.  :P

Some nods to the passing of Nimoy.  :'(

It was fairly entertaining for what it is, just an action movie in space in Trek attire, but that's another part of the NuTrek tradition...which, to be fair, started with The Next Generation movies, the current series just found a way to make them have more mass appeal.
So decent entertainment with some nice character moments, but if you haven't loved the reboot Trek, this will not change your mind.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:47 PM by Scockery »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17 PM »
The showrunner for Star Trek Discovery has been releasing some info about the show.  Time-wise, this series will be set 10 years before TOS.  And the central focus may be on a character other than the captain of the ship.  The initial run of the series is set to be 13 episodes that are about one hour long.  There may be some standalone stories, but the overall feel of the season may be something like that of a novel.  There's more in this Collider news brief.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Looking forward in a big way to the new series. I'm a huge fan of Bryan Fuller and can't wait to see his take on the show. Not too excited about the prospect of another prequel, but I'm confident in the people running it.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 13, 2016, 04:43 PM »
I'm being lazy right now.  Can anyone explain how the new series will work with Netfilx in the US?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2016, 04:49 PM »
It won't.  The new show is only going to be available via CBS's streaming service in the U.S.

Feedback

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Cool.  I thought I had read it was going to be available in Netflix the day after it aired.  In this case, will it be released in a weekly basis or all at once?

Sucks because I'm not getting a streaming service for one show when I don't religiously watch anything except baseball and TWD.  Everything else sits on the dvr until I find time.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2016, 06:00 PM »
What I've read is that Netflix will carry the show internationally, but in the US and Canada  the show will be exclusive to CBS All Access.  And the Sony service Crackle may carry it, too, per that article.  That's the one point of hope that I have, because I have a Sony smart TV, and Crackle will stream on it in the app/streaming menu.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:07 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 29, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Some more info is coming out about the new Star Trek Discovery series.  It sounds like this series is going to be more in line with the current cable/streaming show model that has a run of about a dozen episodes per season, and will be set about 10 years before the events of the original series.  It's set to begin production next month in Toronto.  Check out more at ComingSoon.net

Also, the first episode of the series will air on the CBS television network.  Just like a pusher, the first one is free and after that you gotta pay for it!

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Check out the first trailer for Star Trek - Discovery.  This looks better than I had expected, especially considering this show was reportedly in a   state of development turmoil.

But the Klingons?  They look like they came out of the JJ Abrams ST universe.

Feedback