Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106922 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Yeah, the Klingons look odd in this version.  Not sure why they had to mess with the design, but perhaps they felt they needed to give something fresh to the audience.

And I didn't know there was a Star Wars/Trek crossover with Rey on Jakku making an appearance.  ;)

Otherwise, this looks like it could be fun.  I'd like to catch this, though, but will likely have to wait since I don't have Access and I have enough on my plate right now.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the last three movies, and this trailer (even with Michelle Yeoh) doesn't look good enough to pay for.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:24 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Was flipping channels the other night and caught Star Trek Insurrection for the first time.  Wow was that movie a snooze with crappy effects.  No better than an average ST:TNG episode.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Insurrection, but as someone said the plot of the film amounts to TNG crew trying to stop some bad guys from beaming people up against their will.

The Ba'Ku..screw them. Pacifist luddites by choice...after years of space exploration they found fountain of youth planet, but now the cannot protect it themselves, oh, because luddites...by choice.  They aren't native. Prime Directive doesn't apply, as the admiral points out. So again, Ba'Ku are enemies of progress. No matter how evil the So'Na were, I still felt nothing for the technophobes who couldn't control their own children.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I have no idea what any of that means, but this looks like it takes itself way to seriously.  This Trailer looks more like my style...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Star Trek Discovery's first episode was not especially good.  It wasn't terrible, but I'm not paying to watch the rest of the series. (spoilers)

Good:
Doug Jones's character.

The effects seemed decent enough.

Bad:
Klingons...if you want to call them that. Why not just make them CGI crabs and be done with it.

Sonequa Martin Green's character seems to be making dumber choices than her Walking Dead character.
Michelle Yeoh calls her first officer NUMBER ONE. It felt forced.

Starting with a brink of war footing on what amounts to a new Trek timeline (?) lacks weight. Everything is unfamiliar looking, it doesn't seem like I should care. It would be like if they started ENTERPRISE with its season 3.

The scenes from upcoming episodes should really make fans wonder if CBS didn't just shut-down the Axanar fan project just to rip it off. It makes me wonder, and I'm not even that familiar with that fan film besides having watched the prelude.

Whatever:
They filmed with lens flare fun. I personally found the show's style hard to watch at times, but I guess it has style?
Why would Sarek raise an orphaned human girl?
Why does she seem to have stolen Worf's backstory? (Replace orphaned by Romluans with Klingons, raised by humans with Vulcans.)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2017, 11:31 PM »
I watched it.  And it seems like this could be a really interesting show.

But between already paying for cable, Netflix and Amazon Prime?  I don't think ANOTHER subscription streaming service is in the cards for us.  Especially with rumblings that Disney will be launching their own service that will have Disney, Star Wars and Marvel properties at the heart of their content.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I watched episode one this morning. I liked it for what it's worth. We already subscribe to CBS All access (my family has an unnatural obsession with Big Brother and the whole back catalog of other shows, like Amazing Race and Survivor), So I'll continue to watch. I doubt I would pay the sub fee if it was just this show. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 25, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I liked it overall, but I am not a die hard Trekkie. A two hour premier probably would have been a little more engaging. Still baffles me they would throw all that money into a show most people will not even be able to watch.

I wasn't crazy about Abe Sapien's character, or the weird blue guy on the bridge. With so many established races to choose from, I fail to see the need to keep inventing new ones, but SW does the same shtick.

I did love the weird guy with the computer terminal head. That would make an awesome action figure.

I was hoping we would get to meet the other guy who looks like, and maybe is,  the dude who played Lucius Malfoy.

They should re-run the whole thing next summer on regular TV. I'd watch more but no way I'm paying for this.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 25, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I was hoping we would get to meet the other guy who looks like, and maybe is,  the dude who played Lucius Malfoy.

It is Jason Isaacs.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #355 on: September 25, 2017, 11:48 AM »
So is this show moving to a streaming-only platform after broadcasting the first couple episodes?  I'm confused why people who have cable TV are complaining about signing up for a service.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #356 on: September 25, 2017, 11:53 AM »
SPOILERS

I watched both episodes, and I am surprised at my own lack of enthusiasm for this. For a lot of reasons. One, this was a fantastic 90 minutes of sci-fi on TV with production values beyond probably anything we've ever seen in this particular genre, for this particular medium. They spared no expense, except when it came to the story.

Burnham is a fascinating character, and Martin is an outstanding actress, but they fumbled her introduction. A human raised Vulcan is a unique take, and would have provided a lot of interesting conflict. They sped right through it. The show does make bold choices with Burnham, and with the series itself, so all due credit. I feel like they sacrificed character for spectacle in these two hours.

Having written a sci-fi pilot that was consciously a response/reaction to Star Trek, I think I can say a couple things: 1) it's not a good idea to not introduce your primary setting and cast in the first TWO episodes (I tried to be cute with this in my pilot and received pretty universal feedback that it wasn't successful) and 2) you don't spend one or two hours building up characters you then kill. This is a non-starter generally in fiction as in TV and never works (see Doyle on Angel).

Michelle Yeah is as always a treat. Doug Jones and Saru are lots of fun; I liked his 'I really rather wouldn't' attitude. The actor playing Sarek is terrible. Lots of neat details and cinematography. The dialogue was very wooden sometimes, especially in part two.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:26 PM by Darby »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 25, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I wasn't impressed, but then again, I'm not the huge Star Trek fan in my household - it's my wife - and she didn't like it at all. We both were wondering why so many changes to the Klingons.

So no CBS All Access for us! I'm mildly curious, so hopefully you'll be able to go back and watch the whole series when it's done - I'll try to convince her to sign up for a month at the commercial-free price of $9.99 and then we can binge-watch it like a Netflix show.

Either that or maybe we'll get lucky and just to get it in front of people, CBS will relent and let Netflix also broadcast it once it's done with the season...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 25, 2017, 03:26 PM »
So is this show moving to a streaming-only platform after broadcasting the first couple episodes?  I'm confused why people who have cable TV are complaining about signing up for a service.

Yes, after the first episode.

Apparently in every other country it's available via Netflix, except Canada where it is airing on their equivalent of Sy-Fy.

Streaming-only + underpants + ??? = profit

???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 25, 2017, 04:15 PM »
They had a record people sign up for CBS All Access. Record as compared who signed up before the first episode aired. Wow.

It's on a service because CBS's demographic wouldn't watch it. I guess?