Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106351 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2009, 12:41 AM »
I didn't get it either, until my wife pointed it out to me after the movie.

Through the whole show, I kept thinking to myself how great he was, and when she said it, I had to run downstairs and IMDB it just to make sure.  But I thought he nailed it and I want to see Bones spin offs.

Unfortunately, Chris Pine as Kirk was the least charismatic of all the characters.  The dude who played his dad should have played Kirk.

Uhura was hot, as was the green skinned chick.

I was bummed to see my soul mate Winona Ryder stuck in a cameo, and I just hope those wrinkles were make up....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:41 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2009, 01:46 AM »
I was bummed to see my soul mate Winona Ryder stuck in a cameo, and I just hope those wrinkles were make up....

Sorry. They wheren't.  :'(

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:48 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2009, 02:28 AM »
The "green skinned chick" was an Orion who was played by your new Scarlett, Rachel Nichols.  And yes, she is the hotness.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 1, 2009, 01:10 AM »
I saw it for a second time, loved it again, and something occurred to me later.  Maybe this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but a cool little homage was Kirk eating an apple during the Kobayashi Maru test, just as he ate an apple when explaining how he cheated in the KM test in ST 2!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline clonebuyer111

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 6, 2009, 12:37 AM »
I watched the movie recently and liked it. I have bought the toys too.
the bridge playset and transporter room playset. I would recommend people buy them.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2009, 12:18 PM »
I finally got a chance to catch a matinee of Trek this week, and I really enjoyed it as well.  I thought it lived up to all the positive hype it has been getting, and I can't wait to see it again when the DVD/blu ray is released.  Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not someone who is deep into Trek...I watched reruns of the original series, saw I think four of the movies (first three and the one with the humpback whales), and watched TNG pretty religiously when I was younger.  Aside from that, I've been completely out of touch with Trek since TNG ended (actually, a little before final seasons I believe).  That said, this was by far my favorite of my Trek experiences.  I don't have one complaint in the whole cast, I really enjoyed the entire Enterprise crew.  I especially thought Karl Urban was entertaining as Bones, hard to believe it is the same guy who played Eomer.  I really thought both Kirk (Pine) and Spock (Quinto) were well cast too.  Already looking forward to the sequel.  I don't like to even draw comparisons with Star Wars (I'm always a SW fan first and foremost), but I did notice how this movie seemed to keep me interested start to finish.  Sometimes, when I watch the prequels, I have the urge to fast forward through certain parts of them - I don't think I'd do that with this movie.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Really late to the party here but I finally got to watch this last night.  It was pretty damn good (shock) but I really did not like having old Spock in there.  The whole time travel thing in Star Trek is soooooooo overdone and lame that it seemed like a huge crutch.  I realize it was a bone to throw to the original fans and series devotees and the millions of Trekkies out there.  But to me, they didn't need to have him in there at all and I would have been perfectly fine with a reimagining of the series from the get go instead of the alternate reality/time travel BS

The casting, effects, score, story, everything else was just great.  I also love seeing some cool engineering stuff on Enterprise.  The water tubes and the reactors and all that jazz.  Most of that was never seen on the any of the other scenes I saw but had to be there.  I also liked the little nods to Star Wars in there (punch it!)...

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2009, 10:05 PM »
i was a latecomer to this trek version too...we rented it a few weeks ago.  The whole family loved it...even my wife who usually doesn't like this sort of thing.  I'm not a die hard trekkie, so I had no personal stake in this.  i know enough to get the connections, but am not invested enough to care if something was changed.  It was just a lot of fun for me.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2009, 01:20 AM »
But to me, they didn't need to have him in there at all and I would have been perfectly fine with a reimagining of the series from the get go instead of the alternate reality/time travel BS

I'd disagree on this from a ST fan's POV only because I dislike when someone takes something that isn't theirs (more or less) and says, "this is better", without care to where it came from...  TOS is flawed for sure, but I'm a huge TNG and DS9 fan, and I think Roddenberry's Star Trek is a great thing and I'd have hated to see them just take someone else's "story" more or less and **** on it. 

It'd be like taking major liberties with Lord of the Rings I guess...

I agree the time travel thing is a bit played out in ST but it was a pretty solid set of reasoning and actually tied in with events from TNG somewhat.  I think they could've figured something else out though, and not necessarilly involved original Spock and all that.

I love that the series is rebooted though, and feel it was masterfully pulled off.  And I also look forward to more movies with, hopefully, the same actors.  It was the best movie I'd seen since ROTS, which I really enjoyed a lot.  It was far better than TPM and AOTC in every way as well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2009, 09:17 AM »
But really...they really did take the story and made it better.  Better technology a totally different and souped up Enterprise, different cast etc etc.  So why even throw the bone on Spock?  I agree that it worked in principal but it didn't have to be there.  It seemed forced and tired (this is at least the third movie time travel device with IV, Generations and this new one).

I consider myself a casual fan, I was way way into TNG when it was originally showing and loved the movies through Generations (I don't I think I saw the others past that) so I get what they were doing.  I think the hardcore fans would have had an absolute shitfit if they blew it to pieces.  But they did it to an extent anyway and the whole bit seemed too forced just to throw them a bone.

Anyway, that was my only quibble, it was great and I am eagerly anticipation the sequal where I expect the ghost of dead cast members to be time travelled into the movie as zombies :-*

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Well at least they didn't threaten to blow up the Enterprise again. ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Well Zombies are the "in" thing right now...   :-X

Did they really make the story better, or the visuals better though?  And acting...  though I think the actors in the past were fine save for Shatner obviously.  The story's different but I don't know that I'd say it's better.  If the same cast, same visual effects and everything were available with the original ST storyline I think it'd be the same as this new storyline in terms of quality.

This one visually improved Star Trek, the cast works well as the original cast...  Plus now you get to see them young, rather than watching them trek the galaxy at 60.  I don't know that I feel it improved ST as a story though.

Ultimately I think they could've done this as an alternate timeline idea, which is what they're going for I guess, without including Spock.  Spock was definitely the bone thrown.  I thought it fit well just from a fan POV, but from what you're saying I agree Scott, it wasn't necessary.  I don't think it would've been cool had they just said "F it" to the whole ST universe and started from scratch though.  I feel like they're taking Roddenberry's characters in a new direction is all, with original stories...  But still Roddenberry's characters with their basic nuances rather than Abram's revisioning of what Roddenberry's characters SHOULD have been like and ignoring what was established...  If that makes any sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Well Zombies are the "in" thing right now...   :-X

Heck, it worked for "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" why not Star Trek?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:27 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47 PM »
My one gripe with the movie is when Kirk is 'exile' to the snow planet and is chased by one beast, who is killed by another, and then chased by that beast. I would think the first kill would have been more fulfilling than a puny human. Plus it reminded me of The Phantom Menace (there's always the bigger fish), which I never liked either.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2009, 11:19 PM »
my wife caught that phantom menace connection as well....my bigger gripe with the snow beast was simply that I'm tired of this bifurcated/flower petal jaw creature design.  it seems to show up a LOT lately.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.