Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106516 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #165 on: December 7, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Japaneese version.

http://youtu.be/lgBFz9-rAS0
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #166 on: December 7, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I didn't notice any difference.  Maybe I don't know enough Trek...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 7, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Looks cool.  Check out the Japanese version if you want confirmation of the baddie.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a confirmation.  It certainly makes an allusion to a previous movie which goes hand in hand with the rumored villain.  However, the whole vengeance plot doesn't necessarily go with TOS back story.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 7, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Vengeance on whom? We've never seen this guy before. And even a new actor playing an old character it doesn't work.  I'M GONNA GET EVEN WITH YOU...REMEMBER WHEN I WAS RICARDO MONTALBAN? (I don't know who CuCumberbatch is supposed to be) It just doesn't work. That's why the original Spock was needed for the previous movie.

Actually, the revenge angle gets old.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 7, 2012, 01:01 PM »
That was my point.  The Eugenics Wars were in the 1990's and the original Kirk and crew found the Botany Bay in around 2267.  In Space Seed, Khan didn't seem to want to destroy Earth or Starfleet in retaliation to losing the Eugenics War and exiling himself in space.  In Star Trek II, he wanted vengeance and rightfully so since Starfleet never bothered to check up on him.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 7, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Exactly - they actually wrote a really great novel that tells about what happened to Khan and his followers after the Enterprise left them on Ceti Alpha Five.

Khans "wrath" and need for revenge was based solely on the fact that Kirk left them there and "never bothered to check on our progress" as Khan states in the movie.

If Ceti Alpha VI had NEVER exploded, Khan and his people would have worked hard to live a meager existence, free to govern themselves and Khan NEVER would have been angry at Kirk for anything.

My vote is that the bad guy is Gary Mitchell and the blond being played by Alice Eve is Dr. Elizabeth Dehner - so this movie is a re-imagining of the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" events from the original series.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 7, 2012, 01:53 PM »
There are a lot more names out there being dropped as the villain:  see here in case you're worried about spoilers. http://www.policymic.com/articles/16041/star-trek-into-darkness-movie-spoilers-and-rumors-benedict-cumberbatch-is-gary-mitchell

If you look at imdb, Alice Eve's and Benedict Cumberbatch's character names are not listed.... so it makes one wonder if they are interconnected.  Of course, neither is Peter Weller (and some others that I am not familiar with), so who knows?
« Last Edit: December 7, 2012, 01:57 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 7, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Well - the guy who wrote that article seems to have the same theory as I do...

For me, it was seeing Alice Eve in the Blue Starfleet Uniform with the same haircut as Sally Kellerman from "Where No Man Has Gone Before"...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 7, 2012, 10:28 PM »
That was my point.  The Eugenics Wars were in the 1990's and the original Kirk and crew found the Botany Bay in around 2267.  In Space Seed, Khan didn't seem to want to destroy Earth or Starfleet in retaliation to losing the Eugenics War and exiling himself in space.  In Star Trek II, he wanted vengeance and rightfully so since Starfleet never bothered to check up on him.

Nerd.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 8, 2012, 12:06 AM »

Nerd.

+2
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 8, 2012, 12:34 PM »

My vote is that the bad guy is Gary Mitchell and the blond being played by Alice Eve is Dr. Elizabeth Dehner - so this movie is a re-imagining of the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" events from the original series.

Reading other posts elsewhere and recent Star Trek comic book issues, the bad guy is Lt. Commander Gary Mitchell. He is the dude that gets zapped by the Galactic Barrier and gains god like powers.

From one of the Stark Trek wikis, "The Gary Mitchell from the alternate reality created by Nero appears in the first two issues of the IDW Star Trek series; having been assigned to the Enterprise on Kirk's request, Mitchell again succumbs to the barrier's influence – a mind-meld performed by Spock confirms that there is no intelligence in Mitchell after the barrier takes over – but during the confrontation on Delta Vega, while Mitchell is tormenting Kirk, he is defeated when Spock sneaks up on the occupied Mitchell and delivers a Vulcan nerve pinch, incapacitating Mitchell long enough for his real self to take over and ask Kirk to kill him. Mitchell is then "killed" by a phaser blast. His body put into a torpedo tube and blasted into space like Spock in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The Enterprise leaves Delta Vega's orbit as Mitchell's torpedo tube is left floating in space at the conclusion of this issue."

....or it could just be a weird Star Trek / Sherlock crossover.

« Last Edit: December 8, 2012, 12:35 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2012, 08:58 PM »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Can you spoil the secret?  At what second the scene occurs?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Can you spoil the secret?  At what second the scene occurs?

It is the final scene on the Japanese trailer with the hands up against the glass.  It is probably paying homage to the end of Wraith of Khan when Spock dies right in front of Kirk.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2012, 09:29 AM »