Author Topic: Clone Wars Figures to Have Action Features  (Read 7571 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Clone Wars Figures to Have Action Features
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Hasbro's Latest Media Release

"STAR WARS 3 ¾” CLONE WARS BASIC FIGURES

(Approximate Retail Price: $7.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

In July, Star Wars fans will be introduced to the first new wave of characters based on STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS. Each figure has an exciting action feature. In 2008, a total of 28 different action figures will be launched."

Can you believe it?  ::)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:21 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Figures to Have Action Features
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:10 PM »
PASS! ::)

Looks like I can save my money for an AT-TE or two.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:24 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Lame. I see they're also upping the cost by about $2.  ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:40 PM »
I believe Curto mentioned this over at Scum, and it may imply he is aware of something or is just playing devil's advocate, however he said, "not all action features are built into figures, some are in accessories" (paraphrasing), which is true... 

If it's of any consolation, our report the other day implied there were no visible features at all, so I'm guessing if anything is implemented in the figures, it's ROTS-ish in nature and shouldn't impede the figure's sculpt or articulation much... 

Or, like Curto mentioned, they could be in accessories instead... 

2005 was a good year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with that basic model in the line again this year.

Regardless though...  At $7.99 a pop, I think I"m calling it quits on Clone Wars stuff early.  I'll buy ships if they're realistic, I'll pass on figures if they're not.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:47 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:15 PM »
I don't care that much about the action features but $7.99 blows nards.... :-\
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:59 PM »
First off, the ROTS figures "had action features," not all of them, but some.  They were so well hidden that I don't even remember the ones that did, except and odd spinning Yoda.  As for the price, new collections alwys start out high, and then drop.  Didn't the ROTS figs go a buck cheaper 6-8 weeks after they came out?  If you're really concerned about the scratch, don't buy them the day they come out.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 11:07 PM »
If you're really concerned about the scratch, don't buy them the day they come out.

That's my plan. I'll go to midnight madness, but for the ships only. I'm not going to be in a rush to pay a dollar more  for figs, now with action features AND animated or hybrid style. I'd ask Hasbro to allay my fears, but I won't get an answer before this weekend, so I guess we all wait. I imagine there will be MUCH to say come Sat night/Sun morn.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 12:05 AM »
I think the likelihood of getting them with realistic heads (if the rumor of realistic bodies w/stylized heads holds true) is high at some point, so personally I think I'm gonna just pass and save money...  I'm not personally counting on a price decrease at any point, as I think China's impacting SW at this point, but I do think we'll get these again at some point.

I might nab the Padawan girl or something, probably mail-away for Rex too, but at this point I don't plan to go all out for figures and I don't feel real bad about it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 01:39 AM »
...I might nab the Padawan girl or something, probably mail-away for Rex too, but at this point I don't plan to go all out for figures and I don't feel real bad about it.

That's really about where I'm at too Jesse. Just NEW characters. But even then if they are TOO animated in style, I still may not pick them up.

I know many of us have been at this whole animated vs realistic debate for awhile now...It's just ONE and a HALF more days though. Then we should find out for certain.

Like you Jesse, I won't feel bad about passing on the figs if their animated style.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 01:59 AM »
But even then if they are TOO animated in style, I still may not pick them up.

I'd have to agree with that too Sal...  If that Padawan girl looks very animated, why bother?  She won't look right on the Clone Wars shelf with AOTC Troopers I have already, my Assajj figures, etc.  So forget about it...  I'm not happy entirely, but why pay $8 for something I know I'm gonna look at and just feel it's out of place.

Is that OCD?  I dunno...

I just know if something looks "off" on the display shelf, I tend to want it gone... 

I almost dread the idea that the heads are just a hair realistic, and a hair animated, like that Armored Obi-Wan figure...  I mean, then I'm just probably sucked back in to liking the line.  We'll see though. :)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 08:44 AM »
But even then if they are TOO animated in style, I still may not pick them up.

I'd have to agree with that too Sal...  If that Padawan girl looks very animated, why bother?  She won't look right on the Clone Wars shelf with AOTC Troopers I have already, my Assajj figures, etc.  So forget about it...  I'm not happy entirely, but why pay $8 for something I know I'm gonna look at and just feel it's out of place.

Is that OCD?  I dunno...

I just know if something looks "off" on the display shelf, I tend to want it gone... 

I almost dread the idea that the heads are just a hair realistic, and a hair animated, like that Armored Obi-Wan figure...  I mean, then I'm just probably sucked back in to liking the line.  We'll see though. :)

I don't see where people are saying the Armored Obi is a hybrid fig. I DO see it in the Saesee Tiin and Scuba trooper though. Much as Voolvif Monn and Roron Corobb were hybrids. I accepted those as one time deals not thinking there might be a whole line of hybrid or animated style.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Like others have said, I hope the "action featues" are more ROTS in nature, or maybe seperate from the figure altogether.  I know that what I've seen of Hasbro's Iron Man movie line this year, those figures have action features, but its something that can just be attached to the figure, not necessarily in the figure itself.  Like it was discussed in the other Toy Fair thread, the $1 price increase stinks - and it will likely have my refiguring what else I can/would buy this year.  Especially the fact that it sounds like we'll be seeing 58 figures from July 26th to the end of the year.  Eek.  I'm still really looking forward to pics (hopefully on Saturday) of what's on the way this year.  It doesn't seem like we've ever seen this little going into Toy Fair, as the leaks usually seem to come a little more often than they have this year so far.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:01 AM »
Besides the Togruta apprentice, Rotta, and mail-in Rex, I will not be collecting this line. More money for a couple AT-TEs.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:57 AM »
I think we'll have a much more clear picture of what our collecting habits will be for this line in about 72 hours...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:01 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53 PM »
I think we'll have a much more clear picture of what our collecting habits will be for this line in about 72 hours...

Of less. I'm hoping to find out the bulk of info by tomorrow night, Sunday at the latest.