Author Topic: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets  (Read 131853 times)

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart Droid Factory 2-Packs - Wave 2
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Is it me, or does the I-5YQ figure look like he has some sort of action/play feature in his chest?  IIRC there isn't a storage compartment in his chest mentioned in Shadow Hunter, or the two Coruscant Nights books I've read, I think he's also in the med-star duology, but I haven't gotten to read those yet...  Anyone able to confirm the trapdoor in the droid and if that's mentioned anywhere in the books?

A very eclectic mix of figures, but like Jayson said, the Darktrooper will ensure these are bought in sets of five, and I do mean sets.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Is it me, or does the I-5YQ figure look like he has some sort of action/play feature in his chest?  IIRC there isn't a storage compartment in his chest mentioned in Shadow Hunter, or the two Coruscant Nights books I've read, I think he's also in the med-star duology, but I haven't gotten to read those yet...  Anyone able to confirm the trapdoor in the droid and if that's mentioned anywhere in the books?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/I-5YQ

It doesn't mention that particular mod specifically but the illustration shows the secret compartment.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:31 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2009, 05:43 PM »
That Grievous cape is made out of some weird material too, it almost looks like a sponge. Sadly I might buy it for the R2. I'm a sucker for Astromechs and unlike Jesse I actually prefer the "plain, dull" ones to the "vomit paint job" droids we got in these sets last year.

Also on closer inspection the Fett is a repaint of the Animated Debut version, not the Evolutions version I thought it was. Can't say the same for Maul, if it's the same as the topless Maul from 08 I might pick it up since I never wanted the other two Sith in that Evolutions set.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like the plain colors on a white base droids too...  I just prefer some of the finer paintjobs for what you get.  Fett's droid is really cool for instance.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #304 on: February 18, 2009, 12:37 AM »
That Grievous cape is made out of some weird material too, it almost looks like a sponge.

The cape reminds me of the POTJ Lando cape.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2009, 09:17 AM »
That Grievous cape is made out of some weird material too, it almost looks like a sponge.

The cape reminds me of the POTJ Lando cape.

Looks like a pot holder to me.
I am not the Stig

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2009, 03:50 PM »
These are showing up at TJ Maxx around here if anyone missed out on them the first time around. I saw a few in person last night. They're priced at $6.99 each.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I think part of the problem that Wal-Mart had with these is there were no real army builders.  With each of the Target two pack sets, I have a couple multiples, because the clone was cool.  I liked all the Walmart sets, but I really don't need two of any of the droids.... :(

Its too bad really, cause I might have bought a couple extra too.  I know I'll get booed down by the OT-purists, but if they'd stuck a couple repainted Stormies in there, they'd go like hot-cakes (plus Hasbro would get to repack Vader again!!!)
I am not the Stig

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 28, 2009, 09:10 PM »
From an army-builder perspective the 2009 WalMart 2-packs aren't any better. To make matters worse, the B-A-D is an army builder itself. So figuring that the sets are going to be $12.99 this year, unless people are willing to shell out $65 for the chance to army-build the new Dark Trooper sculpt, I think that some of these are going to sit around even WORSE than last year's.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21 PM »
From an army-builder perspective the 2009 WalMart 2-packs aren't any better. To make matters worse, the B-A-D is an army builder itself. So figuring that the sets are going to be $12.99 this year, unless people are willing to shell out $65 for the chance to army-build the new Dark Trooper sculpt, I think that some of these are going to sit around even WORSE than last year's.

I know at least one person that is looking to build 10 of the Dark Troopers. I don't envy him one bit.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 28, 2009, 09:27 PM »
I know at least one person that is looking to build 10 of the Dark Troopers. I don't envy him one bit.

At a total cost of $650, I wouldn't envy him either. And when Hasbro DOES put the completely built Dark Trooper out as a stand-alone figure in two years, you'll pity him.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2009, 12:51 AM »

That's just crazy talk.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2009, 12:06 PM »

At a total cost of $650, I wouldn't envy him either. And when Hasbro DOES put the completely built Dark Trooper out as a stand-alone figure in two years, you'll pity him.

Unless he's rich. I know a rich collector who wouldn't bat an eye at dropping $650 for 10 Darktroopers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2009, 01:31 PM »
I can only imagine how much a loose Darktrooper will be going for on eBay.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2009, 01:52 PM »
You could probably get 2 or 3 bucks each for the pack in figures that you don't need... so, being generous and saying $3.00 each, you're now down to half of that $650.

He might also be able to buy them completed from people who want the figures but don't care about the droid.  I'd guess those will sell for around $30 each.

There are ways to do this for a lot less than $650 even though I'd still wait for the regular release which (as mentioned) we all know is coming eventually.