Author Topic: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets  (Read 131634 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets
« Reply #435 on: August 5, 2009, 10:23 AM »
I found these today and picked them up.  I would've only gotten the Corran Horn set, but I wanted the Dark Trooper.

I do like the droid that comes with Maul and the one that comes with Fett (from the Droids cartoon) are not bad.  I also used the Grievous cape on my Wave 6 Grievous and it looks ok on it.

Tha Dark Trooper is baddass though, and HUGE compared to my POTF2 versions!

I could not agree more, I ditched my old Darktroopers a long time ago, glad I did. I used the two cloth Grievous cloaks on my two Legacy Grievous and it looks pretty good. A little bit longer and they would be even better, add the emblem and they would be perfect. I had been using the plastic cloak from the Saga2 one so this was a welcome upgrade. It definitely made buying that set a little easier to swallow. I also am using all of the extra sabers for customs.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 5, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Finalyl tracked a complete set of these down today.  Have yet to open one, but the parts for the Darky look huge!  Kudos to Hasbro on the nice compact packaging, though at $17 it sure felt over priced.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #437 on: August 5, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Have yet to open one, but the parts for the Darky look huge!

He's huge alright.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 5, 2009, 06:45 PM »
That Dark Trooper looks wierd. I don't think it's the size, but rather just the torso. The lower torso looks tiny and the upper torso looks super steroid buff. It kinda ruins the whole look of the figure for me.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 5, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Ya I'm a little under impressed by him - thought it'd be much larger(er) compared to the original, but at least it's not a brick.  Hopefully he's "well worth" the money all of us are bending over for on these sets.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #440 on: August 6, 2009, 02:12 AM »
Finalyl tracked a complete set of these down today. 

Finally:)  They just came out!

Glad they're working their way East.  I'm stickin' to my set of one and done.  Hope for clearance then, to do some shifting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 6, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I'm still looking at these in their packages. I picked up two set #5's, if others continue this trend, there's going to be a lot of Dark Troopers without a body.

Is there one particular pack more popular over the others?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #442 on: August 6, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Ya I'm a little under impressed by him - thought it'd be much larger(er) compared to the original, but at least it's not a brick.  Hopefully he's "well worth" the money all of us are bending over for on these sets.   ::)

He is not bad but as I pointed out a few posts earlier his look is very 90's. I actually would not have minded a little creative liberty in upgrading some details.

I just completed my second Darktrooper. Two really look good together and very menacing. The articulation of this figure is 100% SA which is good. It's a shame these sets ar so limited and the packs in so-so because this would have been very popular otherwise.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 6, 2009, 02:36 PM »
I think the Darktrooper itself rocks.  Would have been a fun 2-pk in the Battlepack line actually...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 6, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I finally saw these today and happily passed. Waaayyy overpriced. I'd gladly get one set if the price was lower. The figures don't look all that bad nor does the Dark Trooper, but $85 kills it. No value/bargain whatsoever.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 6, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Is there one particular pack more popular over the others?

I've seen these at 2 of my 3 local Wal-Marts. One WM got in 3 of each set and had 1 left of everything except Corran Horn, which was gone. The second Wal-Mart had maybe 6 of each set except Corran again, and there were only 4 left.

So at least around here Corran is the biggest seller, with the Boba Fett set in close second. The Anakin set is the one I've seen the most of.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 8, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I finally got out to the burbs and was lucky enough to score all 5 in one trip.  I agree that the price is too high, but like I mentioned before, it's 11 figures and they come out to $7.72 each plus tax.  It sucks, but it's really par for the course. 

If you figure that the Dark Trooper would have cost more than a basic figure at that size, it's really even less than $7.72 per.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #447 on: August 10, 2009, 02:22 AM »
Par... from a certain POV.  Par for new, basic figures, yes...  Or if you were picking up Legends stuff, sure...  Par for the past 2-pack precedents though?  No.  So I'm still saying it's a hose-job regardless. :)

And I've still not found said hose-job in Pittsburgh yet.  Not at all.  No reports I'm aware of (haven't checked the weekends reports yet though) these surfacing in the Steel City anywhere as of yet.  I would like my one set, so I can build my droid and get my overpriced EU characters I'd like to have.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I saw these over the weekend, and I'll admit the $17 price does sting a bit.  I only picked up a couple for now, as I just couldn't get all of them in one swoop.  Hopefully they'll still be there after the next pay day, but if they aren't, oh well.  The 2 packs (like the battle packs) used to seem like a "value", but not anymore.  I was surprised how tiny the packaging was this time around, although I don't mind that really.  I'm glad that the Geonosis sets are still supposed to be closer to $12, that's a little less stinging (and with better figures I think).

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 10, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I bet Hasbro would remark that the higher price reflects the BaD parts. But there is no way that new Darktrooper is worth $3-4 more per 6 sets. That would mean the Darktrooper is costing us an additional $18-24.

Shame Hasbro. This really is greed. And in a time of economic recession/damn near close to depression. Most sets having one old mold...

These sets should have been no more than $14, but I'd have preferred $12. I want a set to be sure, but as stated will look to return these once they hit clearance and get them for the cheaper price.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010