Author Topic: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets  (Read 130869 times)

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets
« Reply #465 on: August 13, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I think the debate on these has swung back and forth.  First the comments seemed largely positive, as generally these figures would be fairly well received (astromechs, new painted droids, Rebel pilot and a huge packin).  Then once the price became apparent the comments were largely negative.  However this was mostly from people who expected prices to be comparable to last year, and were limited to that price (didn't have the flexibility in their Star Wars budget to buy it regardless).  The people who have bought one seem to think they are largely what they expected, and are ok with spending that money, the people who can't stomach the price, aren't buying.  Walmart and Hasbro anticipated this and did a production run and price that will come close to clearing these out.  That being said, I'm sure these will be readily available on ebay, as I'm sure a lot are being bought up for sale there given the low production run.  I'm not happy that the price is what it is, as it means I'm not buying these, but that just means that Hasbro and Walmart did a poor job with this market of one, I think they still have a pretty good handle on the rest of the star wars market.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Like others have said, the character selection just doesn't seem real strong.  Sure, I expect repacks (maybe with tweaks), but they just seem sort of blah.  I saw these at our local WM, and only picked up a couple (for now), and I'm still debating on whether or not to get the rest.  I'd like the Darktrooper (and wouldn't mind some of the other droids, although the Anakin set can rot) - but at $17 each, it is a bit pricey to buy figures that will maybe just get tossed in a box.  I'm always up for more astromech droids, but aside from the Corran Horn set, I'm essentially paying $17 for an astrodroid now :).

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2009, 01:35 PM »
To me the only worthless figure is Grevious. I have no idea what to do with him beyond make a custom janator droid that I once saw someone make years ago.  I never picked up the evo pack with this Darth Maul so it would be nice to have him. I have plans for the holiday special Fett. Someone said they would have liked to see this figure in TESB coloring. That's what I'm planning on doing with him. It's good to have Corran and Whistler. For Anakin, I'm planning on making a battle scared Bothan Jedi out of him. (head swap really). So it really comes down to $25 for the ultimate Dark Trooper figure. Sure he costs the same as a ship but at least I can cast him to make more.

Expensive customizing fodder.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:36 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Since we are getting two new Dark Troopers...

can we make a wish list request for a Clone blaze Trooper ? :P
I would like this variant, hopefully for a Bad or 2 comic pack & include a new sculpt-clone assasing.

these recently invented clones but Cody has nothing to do with comics & games

sorry for the OT  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:46 PM by Theta 288 »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 13, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Since we are getting two new Dark Troopers...

can we make a wish list request for a Clone blaze Trooper ? :P
I would like this variant, hopefully for a Bad or 2 comic pack & include a new sculpt-clone assasing.

these recently invented clones but Cody has nothing to do with comics & games

sorry for the OT  

Wow, the Clone Blaze Trooper would be TEH SH er wait, can't post cuss words... lol

I'd definitely buy that though!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Finally found these yesterday morning.

Bought two sets.

Opened my opener set last night.

Like the Dark Trooper A LOT.

Like Corran Horn just fine.

Like the two Astromechs and protocol droids just fine too.

Can't stand the fact that I had to buy the rest just to get get those six figures.

Oh well.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2009, 05:44 PM »
That Clone Blaze trooper is almost as bad as the upcoming EU Star Wars Vong-Terminator coming out.

Finally found these yesterday morning.

Bought two sets.

Opened my opener set last night.

Like the Dark Trooper A LOT.

Like Corran Horn just fine.

Like the two Astromechs and protocol droids just fine too.

Can't stand the fact that I had to buy the rest just to get get those six figures.

Oh well.

Well said, I agree but I would put the cloth Grievous Cloak as an honorable mention. I thought it helped made this a better purchase a smidge. The Cortis SBD is definitely one of the stupidest designs. I would have preferred a regular one to add to the ranks. O at least a cool repaint like the Mygeeto one.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Salokin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Since it's 5 droids, one Corran and one DT new, it's really $12.14 per figure.  Look Hasbro, we don't like being played for suckers.

Not to be sticking up for Hasbro, because I do agree that these should have cost a little less, but that's a pretty dishonest thing to suggest.

You can't sit around saying that "we're being played for suckers" when you have the very simple option to not buy these.  Additionally, Wal-Mart probably has something to do with the price being what it is.

Dishonest would be stealing the droid parts out the pack.

I was suggesting a direct email to Hasbro since this was a good analysis, from a certain point of view.  Hasbro does listen and does care, even though they can't always deliver.  The "sucker" comment was a deliberate attempt to use an evocative phrase to elicit a response.  Tacky maybe, but not dishonest.  Look I'm betting everyone posting here is a fan and supporter of  Hasbro by buyiing product.  Lots of it.  Why else bother to post?   Believe me, I support the big H big-time.  When I tried counting my 'lot' I believe it was around 2000 figures, and way beyond that by now.  Plus vehicles, which are my favorites actually.   The point is I already have purchased MANY Grevious's, Fett's, Obi-wan's and Anakin's and am reaching saturation point.  I only have so many vehicles that need a pilot.  It feels a little cynical of Hasbro to place such a desirable BAD in such company.   It would have been nice with such a collector-oriented set to have more inspired choices.  That and the economy meaning everyone is watching their pennies explains a lot. 

In the end, this set is what it is, of course, but part of the fun of this "hobby" is the discussion.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2009, 07:29 PM »

What is dishonest, is saying that these sets come out to $12.xx per figure when it is quite literally, mathematically, $7.xx per figure. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 13, 2009, 07:45 PM »

What is dishonest, is saying that these sets come out to $12.xx per figure when it is quite literally, mathematically, $7.xx per figure. 

Unless you don't count the junk you don't want or already have, but have to buy anyhow.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 13, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Sell them and recoup some of the money?  Not everyone has everything already - for plenty of people out there it'll be the first time they've bought the repack.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:58 PM by Rob »

Offline Salokin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 13, 2009, 08:23 PM »

It's called "opinion".  I thought that's what forums were for?

I'm sure everyone is capable of doing their own math. 

The point was the email, not the $.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2009, 08:35 PM »
A friend of mine picked up a set for me last weekend and they arrived the day before yesterday.  I definitely don't think that these are worth the cost, especially since (depending on your own preferences) anywhere from 2-4 of the figures are practically useless.  The Darktrooper kind of makes up for the poor "name" character selection, although I think that these should have been, at most 15 bucks, if inflation is that much of an issue from last year to this year. 

Here's a very quick review for those who are still on the fence:

SET ONE:  Grievous himself is worthless.  Use the cape on the CW Animated Grievous (it looks better on him than on the TLC version from last year, IMO), and the lightsabers with whoever else.  The astromech is nice.

SET TWO:  Anakin is a decent figure, if you don't have him already.  The Cortosis Droid is okay, too, although the design is a bit iffy.  I agree with JOT in that I would have preferred a regular SBD with this paint scheme instead of the Droideka arm version.

SET THREE:  Boba Fett is kind of my character focus, so I'm fine with having another animated version of him.  The protocol droid is cool, and makes for some character diversity.  This is probably the second best of the five sets, behind Horn and Whistler.

SET FOUR:  Maul's cloak can be used elsewhere, although I really have no need for the figure itself.  The droid is okay, although the whole Holocron in the chest thing is lost on me.  Nice accessory, though.

SET FIVE:  I'm not an EU fan (at least the post-ROTJ stuff) at all, so the lightsaber and hilt are pretty much worthless.  Still, he makes a good background X-Wing pilot, and the paint scheme on the R2 is nice.  I really wish that if they did these packs in the future, this would be the kind of thing we'd get (a pilot and their accompanying droid, instead of "Fortieth Repack of 2005 Obi-Wan with Obscure Comic Battle Droid").

So yeah, if you're not a fan of the EU, I'd pass on all of these sets aside from Horn/Whistler, because at least both of those figures aren't complete rehashes that fit in with movie displays.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #478 on: August 13, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I think what Rob is saying though, is it's "dishonest" to claim it's so and so per figure because there's figures you don't want...  Speaking from a fairly extensive background in accounting, he's right obviously.  There's maybe stuff you/I don't want (I agree wholeheartedly on pretty much all the things cited), but still the sets DO break down to $7 whatever per figure.

It's kind of like the rationalizing of the basic line, with its droids...  When you look at a wave breakdown at $7.99 per figure + the BAD, it comes out to less per-figure obviously due to that droid.  Now, many people don't want every figure of a wave so they don't look at it that way, but the accounting reality to it is broken up and has to include the BAD too.

I don't think it is an attack on your opinion though, but more a point that opinion doesn't "count" as much as what the actual cost compared to what you actually buy is factored out...  10 figurse + BAD broken down by the $85 total comes to $7+ per figure.  Much like the repaint wave though, certain figures weren't ones I wanted despite wanting to build the droid (the Mandalorian int hat wave, for instance, sucked...  Others felt the Imp Engineer was lame).  You want the droid though, and it'll cost ya.   :-\

The packs are what they are though...  $17 for generally one figure you want, one you don't want (most likely), and a part to a droid you want.  Do the wants outweight the don't wants, is the ultimate opinion-piece on the topic I think.  For the majority, it seems, the wants won that overall choice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 13, 2009, 09:02 PM »
It's called "opinion".  I thought that's what forums were for?

I'm sure everyone is capable of doing their own math. 

The point was the email, not the $.

Don't get hung up on the word 'dishonest'... rephrase to 'intellectually dishonest.'  It just was.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  I'm free to respond.