Author Topic: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets  (Read 131424 times)

Offline Salokin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets
« Reply #480 on: August 13, 2009, 09:16 PM »
It's called "opinion".  I thought that's what forums were for?

I'm sure everyone is capable of doing their own math. 

The point was the email, not the $.

Don't get hung up on the word 'dishonest'... rephrase to 'intellectually dishonest.'  It just was.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  I'm free to respond.

OK 'nuff said.  Don't want to start a war here!

I will say this though, that IS one BADass of a BAD droid - and really that's the item driving this whole set.  I mean I do want it, just balking a bit at the cost....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #481 on: August 13, 2009, 10:27 PM »
You're pretty much in tune with everyone...  It just boils down to whether you can justify the ultimate cost then.  For me, I could, but barely.  I went from wanting probably 3 sets to wanting 1 and begrudgingly.  These do seem fairly limited as well, at least compared to 08.  I've yet to see multiple full sets, nor have I heard anyone else locally finding multiple full sets.  Last year I probably saw multiple full sets at 3 different stores, and I'm talking 5 or 6 full sets at least.

This year, I've seen one and bought it.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2009, 01:39 AM »
I think I may be one of the only people NOT interested in the Darktrooper.  I would like to get my hands on Corran Horn and the astromechs, but that's about all.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 14, 2009, 02:30 AM »
I wasn't overly enthused about the Dark Trooper either.  But then I think this may have be the only format that Hasbro may have been able to shoehorn the Dark Trooper into.  I think it's probably too big for a basic figure card.

It's the completist in me that's after these sets.  But WalMart exclusives are always an infernal pain in the ass to get around here.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Salokin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 14, 2009, 03:29 AM »
Well, since I (inadvertently) stirred up the pot again on these figures, I thought it only fair to re-evaluate based on a closer inspection, and not a quick store assessment.  I swung by my 2 local Wally's tonight and luckily was (just) able to get a complete set.  I haven't opened them up yet but I examined them closely in the package. 

Grievous - I agree this is the complete dud.  Even my ship pilot Grievous duplicate looks better.  At least it does come with 4 lightsabers and a blaster.  Score 0.  Cloak looks nice though so I'll give it 1/4.

Maul - very nice figure, but got it.  Score 1/2, plus 1/4 for the cloak.

Fett - nice figure, slightly less helmet paint than previously, adds the blaster.  But got it, so score 1/2.

Anakin - nice figure, slightly less head paint than before - but got it, so score 1/2.

Corran - new figure, pilot (me like) lit lightsaber and hilt alone, and a blaster.  Score 1.

Battle droid, unique variant, score 1.

BL-17 is unique and a cool looking figure.  Score 1.

Maul's 1-5YQ is also pretty cool.  Score 1.

The 2 R2 units are straight repaints, so OK, techically new figures and I'm OK with that so score 2.

Darktrooper - Awesome.  Easily counts as 2 figures, so score 2.  (Ok, so I loved Dark Forces.)

So, with this revised scoring system (isn't accounting wonderful?) the $85 spent (pre-tax) works out to ....  $8.5 per figure.   So with this I would rate the value as quite reasonable, at least considering it is an 'exclusive'.  Of course, todays' exclusives have a habit of becoming tomorrow's battle pack fodder, so plan accordingly!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2009, 11:10 AM »
It's the completist in me that's after these sets.  But WalMart exclusives are always an infernal pain in the ass to get around here.

Ain't that the truth!!!

If it weren't for the fact that (a) I had been hitting 3 - 4 WMs every morning for two weeks and (b) I went pallet diving - I know for a fact that I wouldn't have these yet.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2009, 01:53 PM »
Apparently the price isn't deterring everyone.  I went back to the WM I found these at a week ago, and the entire stock was wiped out.  I had considered maybe picking up the last two (mainly to get the Darktrooper), but the decision was made for me.  Oh well, saved $35 :P.  Kind of surprised at how quick these went, unless stock really was that much lower this time around.

Offline Salokin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Of course, todays' exclusives have a habit of becoming tomorrow's battle pack fodder, so plan accordingly!

A case in point: StarwarsShop Exclusive

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Got it  :-[

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:07 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32 AM »
If anyone needs these lmk.  I picked up another set for someone who passed and will return if no interest on the board.  Cost plus tax and I can ship them loose to save on shipping or ship as is.  Just an offer.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 20, 2009, 11:01 AM »
These have dried up around here. I'll be surprised if they ever show up again.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2009, 01:36 AM »
I finally spotted these today and they just did not look that great to me in person.  Then the $17 pricetag just buried it for me.  I would not mind having the protocol droids and the astromechs but it the end it was just not enough to get me excited to buy them.  I would have bought Coran if he were in his Jedi garb.  I might get that set eventually but if I never do that's ok. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 23, 2009, 01:56 AM »
Was back at the WM where I found my two sets two weeks ago.

The pallets of toys were STILL in the Garden Center - now getting ruined by the rain. The third set of the Droid Factory 2-packs was there EXCEPT for the Corran Horn set. All of the other four sets were still there sitting on top of the pallet.

Sad.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 23, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Has anyone scanned these lately?  I've had a few reasonable-but-unconfirmed reports of a couple of Wal-Marts marking them down to an even $10.00.  No receipts yet but certainly interesting if there's any truth to it.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News