Author Topic: CW V-19 Torrent Starfighter  (Read 22287 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: V-19 Fighter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Very happy that Hasbro is finally cranking out new vehicles.  At least three for me please.  :)

I'm just hoping that they're sticking to their "special" $20 price point for these assault vehicles.

Amen!  I'll stick with this if its $20, but not very impressed if the cost is higher than that. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Okay so let's compare these. First is the toy (with incorrectly deployed wings)
Next the cartoon series V-19
then the comic bok V-19.

So it looks like Hasbro went with the COMIC book style V-19, yet still decided on using their own made up deco. Also, it's way to CLEAN. They need to dirty this up somehow.

I won't say I'm TOO disappointed with this, but I was looking forward to the cartoon style more. Those wings better deploy right (fold underneath) as well as the tail fin, otherwise I'm passing this up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:36 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 04:08 PM »
I thought a site had a pic of this with the wings folded down?  Maybe I was dreaming.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 06:13 PM »
I'm not disappointed at all...  looks 100% to-scale to me, perfect proportions all around, and unless the wings aren't articulated as they should be, I'm quite pleased with this.  Along with the Rancor, probably my favorite piece showed yesterday.

And repaints are almost inevitable...  And I'll welcome them.  I'd even dig a "modified" and patchworked one for the Alliance or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 08:24 PM »
I thought a site had a pic of this with the wings folded down?  Maybe I was dreaming.

I wish! I've been checking every major site and still haven't seen proof of the V-19 folding correct.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 12:59 AM »
The wings definitely fold up.  But the one hanging from the ceiling in the Hasbro showroom was well out of reach of anyone who wanted to check it out.  this might be the kind of thing that needs to be asked about in a Q&A session!

And this makes me think that I might need to buy some more Clone evolutions sets for some more pilots.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:01 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 06:51 AM »
I'm not worried about it folding incorrectly. I'll chalk it up to a Hasbro "roadie" not know the proper way to display the "shuttle" ::) in flight mode. Hasbro toy designers probably didn't design a gear system that would move all three wings in unison. The port and starboard wings will move together (like the Imp Shuttle), but the tail wing/stabilizer will have to be rotated up or down manually.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:15 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 09:06 AM »
This does look pretty nice, and I always liked this ship from the original CW series, so I'm looking forward to picking one up.  Like others have said, I hope the $20 pricepoint stays in place for the vehicles.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 09:55 AM »
I'm on the fence about this one, it looks neat, but I need to draw the line with ships somewhere.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 11:08 AM »
I'm on the fence about this one, it looks neat, but I need to draw the line with ships somewhere.

Same here my friend.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Every time I look at the vehicle, it reminds me of those early T-16 models and the vintage Kenner X-Wing. It is very "vintage" vehicle looking, especially without having any weathering.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 05:52 PM »
I just cannot get into this vehicle and do not get all the hub-bub. The V-wing fighter smokes this plain jane fighter. The V-wing's design and deco are amazing! this sucker is too EP1 clean.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 06:16 PM »
I loved the V-Wing, but I personally didn't care for the cheetah spots all over it.  I'd like to see an Imperial repaint on that sucker.  I'm really looking forward to the V-19 as Jay points out - it is very "vintage" looking so I dig it.   8)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 11:31 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much on the paint deco...  It's hard to say for sure that it'll come out all squeaky clean like that in the end, but if it does, it's got a slick sculpt for battle damage customizing I think.  I think the final product may be a bit prettier.

That said, I'm shocked how many dislike it...  It's one of the most innovative ship designs of the EU, so I'm really excited for it.  This was a #1 wish for vehicles for me, right up there with a scale TIE Defender or TIE "Avenger" Advanced.  The V-19 was definitely on my short list, and Hasbro appears to deliver perfect scale...  The comic adaptation of it gives it more "life" so I like that actually.  Nice panel lines on it, lots of detail.  I'm stoked to get at least 3 of these right now, so long as the wings fold as they should, which I'd be shocked (and highly disappointed) if they didn't.  Even if they didn't, I'd probably still get one and make it so they could.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 08:50 AM »
...I'm shocked how many dislike it... I'm stoked to get at least 3 of these right now, so long as the wings fold as they should, which I'd be shocked (and highly disappointed) if they didn't. 

You answered your own reason for the shock Jesse.

Hasbro had a golden opportunity to make this an instant classic but failed because they didn't display it properly.

So we still don't know if it will fold correctly. Without knowing that it's hard to like it. The very unique way it folds is what makes this vehicle special. Yes, we have other folding winged ships, but none that not only have wings that fold under, but a tail that does as well.

I suspect the moment Hasbro shows us a clear picture that this toy does indeed fold the correct way, that we'll see a spike in interest for the ship again.

I'm down for one or two but ONLY if it folds correctly.