Author Topic: Clone Wars Wave 1 (2008)  (Read 33900 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Wave 1
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2008, 05:46 PM »
... I prefer straight talk not symantics.

I agree. 

They knew exactly what we meant buy those questions. If they truly didn't then they are "as clumsy as they are stupid" and should be in charge of the line.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Well, I do find it interesting that the press release said 28 and the reports from the collector event indicate 23 figures. So already, Hasbro is coming off as cautious with regard to this line.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I don't know if 23- 28 figures can really be considered cautious though?  I mean 23 - 28 figures on a fairly new platform sounds like a pretty big launch in my opinion.  Not to mention the vehicles and one topping $100.  I guess it could be considered cautious since it has the Star Wars label backing it up.  If the cartoon somehow tanks then yes they can cut their losses at 23-28 figures and a few vehicles.

But if it is a hit then they have a nice foundation of figures and vehicles to build from.   Personally I hope the TV show and movie is a hit.  I just think that it ensures figures from the films and EU continue to flourish in the years ahead.  I know that means it would be slower to get more realistic style figures out there but at least they would keep on coming for a long time. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 11:04 AM »
I think the vehicles are going to do fine either way.  They aren't so much in the animated style like these figures and will fit in with "realistic" collections.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I highly doubt the series will fail in ratings or the box office. People everywhere still clamor for more Star Wars the mass appeal alone is overwhelming. With all the bombs on TV this should do very well.
I agree 23-28 figures is indeed a new platform and should do well. I really do believe that they will transition these back to realistic style.

While I believe the show is a sure-fire hit, I find it hard to imagine that the "kids" cartoon-ish toy line will last more than 1.5 years. Hasbro knows they have a hit on their hands but they are dipping their toe in the water before blowing out the animated line. Because if the sales are not as strong as basic figures out of the gate you can bet your Bantha they will change the game plan.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Hey, how'd you know I had a Bantha?
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45 PM »
My comment was with regard to the toy line failing. Not the series or the airing of the first few episodes in theatres. I have no doubt that both will do extremely well.

Hasbro would be foolish not to be taking note of the luke-warm response the style change has received. Perhaps sales might indicate differently, but based on collector feedback I've seen, I don't see collectors factoring in to the success of this line. In order for this line to succeed they're going to need buy-in from kids. Hopefully Hasbro has plans on advertising the line during the show itself.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Are you serious?  The show will be a 22 minute commercial for the toys!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Are you serious?  The show will be a 22 minute commercial for the toys!

That and legally they CAN'T show commercials during the same show for toys related to it. I can't remember the exact law, but it was some time ago.

It sucks too, because I'd actually WELCOME SW toy commercials. We so RARELY see them now.

I can't help but wonder how much BIGGER SW would be if Hasbro would advertise on TV more.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 03:32 PM »
I can't help but wonder how much BIGGER SW would be if Hasbro would advertise on TV more.

That's the beauty of Star Wars, it does not need advertising. That is a Toy companies dream come true. It sells itself.

While I agree with you more exposure comment, the problem is with SW currently there is no signature item at this time worthy enough to advertise. In this day and age showing a couple of new figures and some basic ships is not enough to capture the google dependant, ipod loving generation of today. Our generation would have **** a brick seeing this stuff. When you take a close look outside of new figures there has not really been innovative news from SW in awhile. Meaning no real "signature feature items" since the revised force action lightsabers. That was new news and worthy of advertising .

The days of advertising a couple of new figures like Snaggletooth and a cloud car just does not warrant the advertising spend. Anything under $20 without features in most cases is not worth advertising because that is a very affordable impulse item. It really eats away the profits on low margin items when you have to account for your marketing spend. (Being in the toy industry for 8years I find it so funny that the old commercials really played up individual new figures like the peg warming Snaggletooth. Advertising back in the day must have been real cheap because that will never happen again! :D)

However, a big ticket like the AT-TE will need it to be advertised. Hasbro and the retailers are taking a big risk with a $100 price point item. This is a signature item to the show/line and can be a real traffic driver. Hasbro has to insure sell through or else they will get killed with markdown money. This type of item justifies the marketing spend it's also an item kids will remember and actually drive them to to aisle because of scale/features. I am sure you will see more SW advertising in the near fututre.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Well that's what I'm hoping for too is a commercial for the AT-TE. Along with that hasbro can pimp out the rest of the line. I agree that we don't need to see commercials for each individual toy. But a commercial for a new wave and ships being released around that time would be cool.

Maybe I should make a commercial for them and put it up on YouTube.

I've got the equipment to shoot/edit the commercial. I'd just need to borrow a kid to play with the toys for the full effect...(And don't anyone go misquoting me on that one, lol)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45 PM »

Dude, that would be awesome! You have to set it up like the old Kenner commercials. That would get some attention from all the fan sites.

Go for it!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 08:56 AM »

Dude, that would be awesome! You have to set it up like the old Kenner commercials. That would get some attention from all the fan sites.

Go for it!

That's exactly what I was thinking. Make it like the vintage commercials.

I'll start writing up the commercial and scouting a decent location. I won't have my figs til next week, so I'll have time to plot this out, this weekend. My only problem is that it's cold here in Pittsburgh and snow covered. I've got to make it look like it's spring and warm. Oh and finding a kid or two to put in the commercial.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #58 on: March 2, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Actually, what would make it really funny is to shoot it just like a Kenner commercial, but with adults playing with the toys.

"Look out,  Obi-Wan Kenobi!  It's a Federation Droid!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrcaT_x43Y&feature=related

The WORLD OF HOTH IS OURS!!!
« Last Edit: March 2, 2008, 08:52 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 2, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Those are hilarious, thanks for the link!  ;D