Author Topic: 2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion  (Read 12376 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Maybe we are all getting smarter about getting sucked into these type of UGH-like promotions. Reading the comments above, I've decided to bend every "1st day of issue" card I come across.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 12:57 PM »
Maybe we are all getting smarter about getting sucked into these type of UGH-like promotions. Reading the comments above, I've decided to bend every "1st day of issue" card I come across.

Me too! Like half of the figures I bought on 7/26 were FDOI. I had been debating whether to open them or not but the above comments combined with freaking $9 figure prices at Target convinced me to open them all.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 02:29 PM »
The stickers are super-easy to remove from the bubble. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Ooo, even better. Just scrape the sticker's corners slightly.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 03:46 PM »
On 7/26 I did not give a rat's ass about these at all. I only cared about getting all of the figures period, stupid stickers matter not. The only thing these are good for is trade right now, I am actually surprised how many people are into this promotion. If it helps me get my coin wants so be it, I am not complaining.

There was a lot of talk during the TRU MM in the line and in the store. In fact, many of the first people in passed on figures without the sticker just to find the FDOI stuff. I was able to get the current "harder to find figures" like Padme & Scuba Troopers largely due to that fact.

One thing is certain it helped initial sales whether you like it or not.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:49 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 03:54 PM »
All the Clone wars figures I bought were 1st day. It doesnt really matter cause I ended up opening them all but when me and my friend were at TRU we noticed 1 guy grabbing every single one he could see into his cart so we stood beside him and grabbed the ones we needed and boy did he look pissed. He ended up following us around staring at our cart. It was funny, he eventually left once he realized we were indeed buying them but the fact that he was so desperate to get all of these make us laugh. And the reason why we knew he was indeed a scalper was..well what kind of collector would buy 10+ of each figure. ie ani,obi,yoda...
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I don't get why you guys are hell bent on pissing off other collectors, but don't forget to scratch the foil while you're at it.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Good idea!  ;D

Think of it as a protest against this kind of sales gimmic. It's just stupid and lame to buy ten of each figure just because they have a special sticker on them. If the sticker isn't perfect, the figure will sit and get boughten by a kid or collector instead of a scalper who will just resell it at a markup and dump it on ebay. Hasbro, no more special foils and stickers! It's what helped kill the sports card & comic book industry and it will do the same to our hobby.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 06:08 PM »

Well, that's not very helpful to those of us who are trying to collect these.  Why would you ruin cards for a fellow collector?  ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 11:18 AM »
This is technically relating to the Clone Wars line, but since the "1st Day of Issue" topic is here I thought I'd post it here.  I was looking around HTS and I noticed that they have a "coming soon" 8 pack of the first 8 Clone Wars figures with the "1st Day" sticker/foil for $59.99.  I still see 1st Day stuff from time to time on the pegs, compared to never once seeing any of the initial round of "UGH" figures.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 02:55 PM »
This is technically relating to the Clone Wars line, but since the "1st Day of Issue" topic is here I thought I'd post it here.  I was looking around HTS and I noticed that they have a "coming soon" 8 pack of the first 8 Clone Wars figures with the "1st Day" sticker/foil for $59.99.  I still see 1st Day stuff from time to time on the pegs, compared to never once seeing any of the initial round of "UGH" figures.

I too see a lot of 1st Day of issue lingering here and there. It was a really stupid promotion but it was a genius marketing move to drive traffic to the store on 7/26, it helped more than it hurt. The TAC Gold coins, in my opinion, hold the record for the most desirable UGH chase promo.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 03:12 PM »
What didn't make sense was some cases had only half "1st day of issue" stickers on them. Then more cases were received with the sticker after the first of day of issuence. Half the items on the pegs didn't have the sticker on them to begin with! Personally I believe that any one that collected them for the chase stickers is got to be the biggest fool on these boards.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Personally I believe that any one that collected them for the chase stickers is got to be the biggest fool on these boards.

I agree. Anyone who collects MOC and all MOC variations kind of deserve it. It's one thing to get true variants or one of each to keep MOC. To collect duplicates on MOC because of a number error seems a little OCD to me, that includes FOD stickers. To each his own.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 05:40 PM »
Personally I believe that any one that collected them for the chase stickers is got to be the biggest fool on these boards.

I agree. Anyone who collects MOC and all MOC variations kind of deserve it. It's one thing to get true variants or one of each to keep MOC. To collect duplicates on MOC because of a number error seems a little OCD to me, that includes FOD stickers. To each his own.

So I'm a fool for owning Legacy w1 & CW w1 on foil logo cardbacks w/shiny sticker  ???  Found them all on day 1 between two stores so it's not like I went insane trying to find them.  I'm a carded collector so what's wrong with having these on FDOI cards?  This was nothing like 06 or 07 UGH was nor do I believe it was meant to be.  Just a ploy by Hasbro to get people "excited" about the launch.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 10:00 PM »
I agree. Anyone who collects MOC and all MOC variations kind of deserve it.

Anyone who collects something you don't agree with deserves to have added hardship?  Not sure how that makes sense - if someone wants to collect something different from me, I'd say more power to them and good luck on your collection.

I picked up all of the non-reissued FDOI figures, but not their "regular" carded counterparts.  Like Mike, I found them pretty easily within a week or two, so it wasn't that hard to get them all.  It was also more than just the sticker, since they're on foil cards, but I just liked the look of them in general.

Oh, and the best UGH promotion was still the silver mini-figs, not the gold coins.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today