Author Topic: 2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion  (Read 12378 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Just when you thought you were safe...UGH is back and this time it's a FOIL STICKER!!!!

I thought Hasbro said in a recent Q&A that they bagged the UGH promotion for 2008 but according to RS all 1st issue figures will sport a "1st Day of Issue" sticker. See article  below:

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/TF2008_This_Years_UGH_112622.asp

This almost seems like a waste of time. Our carded collector friends will have a new nightmare on their hands with variants to chase down. This feels a little too Hot Wheels to me and to an opener , this is one we do not have to worry about.

So is it a Yeah or Nay?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:39 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 UGH Promotion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:37 PM »
So is it a Yeah or Nay?

It's an 'ugh...'

I really couldn't care less, I'm not gonna get too freaked out about it. I have enough to worry about this year.   :P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 01:08 PM »
This feels a little too Hot Wheels to me ...

This is way beyond hot wheels.  They have their chase cars clearly labeled and not offered during that year on another car.  One a month.  Simple, easy, straightforward.  This is a cash grab that is blatant. 

Nay.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31 PM »
I just want one, so basically nay.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 02:51 PM »
This is way beyond hot wheels.  They have their chase cars clearly labeled and not offered during that year on another car.  One a month.  Simple, easy, straightforward.  This is a cash grab that is blatant. 
Nay.

I never knew it was that straight forward with HW's program.

Good call, this is a cheap cash grab on Hasbro's part. At least the coins were gold a real point of difference is nice. I usually do not not first run figures because they have the most paint flaws.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:30 PM »
If this is going to be on ALL of the stuff shipping to the stores for the 7/26 merchandise push then, ok, whatever.

This concept is rather silly IMHO. Stores like TRU are going to over-order the heck out of these two Wave 1 assortments so they'll have the "1st Day Issue" packaging versions for quite some time.

I'm not going to go crazy and collect both packaging versions. I'll get whatever I can on the 26th and if I miss a figure, then "oh well" - I'm not going to go crazy for a foil logo and a sticker.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:46 PM »
If this is going to be on ALL of the stuff shipping to the stores for the 7/26 merchandise push then, ok, whatever.

This concept is rather silly IMHO. Stores like TRU are going to over-order the heck out of these two Wave 1 assortments so they'll have the "1st Day Issue" packaging versions for quite some time.

I'm not going to go crazy and collect both packaging versions. I'll get whatever I can on the 26th and if I miss a figure, then "oh well" - I'm not going to go crazy for a foil logo and a sticker.

And imagine if it's on EVERYTHING that's supposed to be available that day... not just figures, but ships, etc. Yeah, I can just see buying an AT-TE for the first issue sticker...

Nay for me.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:07 PM »
Sounds awesome.  Glad to have an UGH promotion that I could give a rat's arse about.  :D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:30 AM »
UGH was stupid the first time around, and it's even moreso now...  Hasbro really does nothing with these promos but attract the truly undesireable element to the hobby, and that's a shame.  I don't think it really beefs up sales much, and half the time I think the ******** return stuff they can't sell at a profit.  I saw a couple UGH figures the other day that I have a hard time believing were just from an old case...  It's stupid, but they seem to think it's a benefit in some way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Hasbro really does nothing with these promos but attract the truly undesireable element to the hobby, and that's a shame. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:50 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:22 PM »
I made this to sum up my thoughts...

http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Hasbro really does nothing with these promos but attract the truly undesireable element to the hobby, and that's a shame. 

THAT'S funny!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00 PM »
I made this to sum up my thoughts...

wait, that guy looks familiar.

Gawd, i can just see a bunch of scalpers at midnight madness (if that even happens), trying to cash in. Boy, are they going to be surprised.
While the AT-TE will be hot, I don't really expect Scalpers to get them, because they are a LARGE purchase and a risky one for them if they can off load for as much profit as they might want. They'll stick to the figs and maybe small ships (so get your Homing Spider Droids when you can). Good thing is that with the many collectors who seem to be saying poo-poo on the cartoon figs, those should be plentiful.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Gawd, i can just see a bunch of scalpers at midnight madness (if that even happens), trying to cash in. Boy, are they going to be surprised.

The sad thing is that while this UGH is even MORE lame than the previous two, there are still going to be the OCD collectors who HAVE to have these "special" cards, and would gladly pay top dollar for them on eBay if they have to.

(no offense to the JDers who collect packaging variations)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 07:05 PM »

The sad thing is that while this UGH is even MORE lame than the previous two, there are still going to be the OCD collectors who HAVE to have these "special" cards, and would gladly pay top dollar for them on eBay if they have to.

(no offense to the JDers who collect packaging variations)

heh heh, had to add that disclaimer....

But I agree, there will be some who will look to get them all. More power to them.