Author Topic: Hasbro 3.75" Vehicles  (Read 53085 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Hasbro 3.75" Vehicles
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I was just coming in to post what Paul did...

I knew I'd seen a small version of a Duck but wasn't sure the make, and it is indeed the "Seep"...  Seeps weren't popular with the U.S. again, but were sent to Russia in good numbers, and Russia actually built their GAZ46 off the concept of the Seep as they liked it tremendously.

I would say, without doubt, that's a Seep or the GAZ.  Which I'd gladly take one now knowing it was an existing World War 2 piece like I figured.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 2, 2008, 09:58 AM »
I saw the Jungle Cutter at WM this weekend for the first time.  I was tempted to pick it up, but I just don't have the room for it really.  I barely have room for the SW vehicles at this point, so I had to pass.  I'd be tempted if they did come out with something else from Raiders, or if they did the Duck/Seep vehicles from KOTCS that are being discussed here.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: June 2, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Me too, and it was actually a fairly easy pass.

Had a kickass fight happened on the cutter, maybe, but it was really a secondary thing ultimately.  So I passed on it as well.  Saw a couple trucks...  I'm disappointed to see no more German 4WD's.  Only ever got one, and wanted at least 2 more, maybe 3 more.  Trucks are good too, don't get me wrong, but I really want more of the first two vehicles...  The Cutter, meh.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 2, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I want another of the troop cars too.  Why the heck I only got one is beyond me.  Looks like I'll be hitting online to try and get another.

I like the cutter, but I agree, the other two vehicles are a lot better.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2008, 04:59 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 2, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I was just coming in to post what Paul did...

I knew I'd seen a small version of a Duck but wasn't sure the make, and it is indeed the "Seep"...  Seeps weren't popular with the U.S. again, but were sent to Russia in good numbers, and Russia actually built their GAZ46 off the concept of the Seep as they liked it tremendously.

I would say, without doubt, that's a Seep or the GAZ.  Which I'd gladly take one now knowing it was an existing World War 2 piece like I figured.

Jesse - to your knowledge does 21st century (or another company) make any sort of "duck" vehicle?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: June 2, 2008, 05:29 PM »
No, there isn't any "Duck" in this scale...  We were talking about that at some point in this thread and how the vehicle in the movie isn't a duck actually, but rather a Sea Jeep or "Seep", which Russians actually dug and modified...  So it makes sense.  The "Duck" the US Military used pretty heavily was actually way larger than what the vehicle in KotCS was, and wouldn't have worked for what was seen in the movie.

I dunno why Indy calls it a Duck then.

21st's made only a few smaller vehicles like that...  Jeep, Kubelwaggen, and a Dodge Command Car...  Everything else they've made then was larger.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 2, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Well, Indy calling the vehicle a Duck might have more to do with people actually understanding what he's talking about. More people probably know what a Duck actually is, and if not, it's logically the car that looks like it can float. Had Indy said Seep, accuracy problems would have been solved but most folks (myself included) would have thought he had a speech problem.

Another example is the Duck might have applied better just cuz of generalities and stuff. Usually lines in movies will run like "Get in the car!", "Let's fly in the helicopter." or, "Why don't we blow stuff up with that tank?". The movie makers of KOTCS probably wanted to focus on the action and not confuse the audience by giving them a mini-lesson on military vehicles.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: June 2, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Why call it a Duck though?  How many people even knew there was an amphibious vehicle in WW2 called a Duck (I think it's DUKW but I could be wrong on that)? 

It's weird they didn't just say, "Get into the car", as it was really the only thing there, and it essentially a floating car...  I'd normally cite them just not knowing what they're talking about, but I guess Lucas is pretty fluent in military vehicles and usually a stickler for detail if it's possible.  Or so I hear.

I've never heard anything but a "DUKW" called a Duck though...  I suppose it's possible Russians nicknamed anything like a DUKW a Duck though, by default.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 2, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Well, even if the vehicle wasn't a Duck/DUKW, the uneducated viewer can easily imply that they were headed for the car that looked like a boat. Most people know that ducks can both swim and walk around on land.

I think "Get into the car" would have been a simpler way to go, but then we'd probably be discussing why they didn't call the car a Duck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 2, 2008, 08:24 PM »
The "Duck" the US Military used pretty heavily was actually way larger than what the vehicle in KotCS was, and wouldn't have worked for what was seen in the movie.

2 1/2 ton truck that can float, so yes just slightly larger than a Jeep...

I don't care if they call it a Goose as in "Like s**t through a Goose"....but then a Goose was an amphibious plane...I want a floaty jeep that isn't a schwimmenwagen.

And I want all the vehicles in the opening sequence, including the T-bucket.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 3, 2008, 03:26 PM »
I like referring to it as a Duck.  That's pretty much what it is to me, regardless of how inaccurate or technical one wants to get. 

Quack!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: June 3, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Watching Raiders the other day I see they have a number of WW2 era German vehicles around in the background...  There's a Kubelwaggen actually I believe, and a very older model halftrack (essentially the convoy truck with tank tracks on the back).  I was surprised to see the variety there...

I'd add to my wishlist the German staff car that Belloq and Deitrich are cruising in during the chase.  I'd love one of those since, well, the higher ups need a ride too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 3, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Let hope that if that staff car is made, we also get the baddies that are supposed to ride in it.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 3, 2008, 07:37 PM »
I think Hasbro all but confirmed Toht for later this year or early next.  I also want the staff car from the Raiders chase!

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: June 3, 2008, 10:40 PM »
Speak of the devil and he shall appear...

Tonight I saw, and bought, a 4WD at Wal-Mart...  Ironic we were talking about it, and bam, there's one waiting for me right after pay...  Nice.  That gives me two, so I'd like two more to customize into various war-accurate decoes and mods.  Very nice vehicles.

Want more trucks too for sure...  Some guy on Ebay was selling a truck he'd painted to work as a Normandy troop/ammo truck.  Man was that a beautiful piece.  he even put camoflauging on it just as they had to do to keep their trucks and other vehicles from being blown off the road by the allied air superiority.  Did the same with a German bike, and it looked worth every penny it was selling for.