Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2008  (Read 27304 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2008
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Not at all.  The way I see it, the Packers mostly would love to dump him on an AFC team - their top choice would probably be Miami for Jason Taylor.

But Favre isn't going to a 1-15 team, he wants to go to a playoff caliber team. 

They won't let him go to a North team, and there aren't any other AFC teams interested with the Bills and Ravens bowing out.

To me that leaves Tampa.  The Bucs run a similar WC offense, Gruden worked with Favre in the 90's, they were in the playoffs last year, have a solid and talented O-line, a strong defense, the cap space to absorb his contract, and a coach who has a reputation for working with QB's.

They can't get him out of the NFC, IMO - but I think they'll have to move him and they'll probably want to do it sooner rather than later.  They can't about-face and give him his job back, so the longer they wait around the worse it looks for them.  I think he's wearing red and pewter by 2 or 3 weeks from now.

That could just be wishful thinking though.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 12:01 AM »
The guy still has some game.  I can understand both sides of this story, except that the Packers are not giving him his release.  What would it hurt them if they are ready to move on?

I was totally in the camp of Favre being an arse about the whole situation, but heard from a few people recently that the Packers may be a little more at fault here than people realize.  Sounds like they were on his case immediately following the Giants game and may have forced him into an early (and obviously unwise) decision about his retirement.  If you had any remote doubt about it, why wouldn't you stay on until you were sure like he has in prior seasons? 

I also heard that he's been trying to talk to them about this for a few months now and its only now going public because they haven't been giving him any answers one way or another.  Either way, there are lots of FB players that come out of retirement, so I don't think its fair to single Favre out as a bad guy for wanting to play again.  if the Packers are smart, they'll trade him to another team and get some solid talent or draft picks that they wouldn't have otherwise received if he flat out retired.  I think they have to play him or trade him (maybe trade AR instead?) - its a complete waste to just drop him and not get anything out of the deal.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Aaron Rogers is in the last year of his rookie contract, if they don't go with him this year, they run the risk of him walking via free agency and then they're out a 3 year investment and potential Favre replacement.

I get where they're coming from, but we're talking about one of the greatest QB's in the history of the frickin' game, coming off of one of his best seasons ever.  It's a lot to give up for Aaron The-3rd-Year-Back-Up Rogers.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 07:54 AM »
Aaron Rogers is in the last year of his rookie contract, if they don't go with him this year, they run the risk of him walking via free agency and then they're out a 3 year investment and potential Favre replacement.

I get where they're coming from, but we're talking about one of the greatest QB's in the history of the frickin' game, coming off of one of his best seasons ever.  It's a lot to give up for Aaron The-3rd-Year-Back-Up Rogers.

Don't forget that the Packers have a long history of trading away Favre's back-up QBs:  Kurt Warner, Aaron Brooks, Matt Hassleback, Mark Brunell, Doug Pederson, & Steve Bono are all former Favre back-ups that were traded away during Favre's tenure.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them deal Rogers instead of Favre.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Rogers is the first guy that their GM picked when he came on board.  He's wanted to move on and start him for a while now.  They've been trying to gear the offense for him for a while now (anyone remember at the beginning of the 2007-2008 season when they told Favre to "Manage the offense").

I'm not a Packer fan, but I think Favre's getting a raw deal here and he should show up to training camp....then what would the Packer management do?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 10:03 PM »
I'm not a Packer fan, but I think Favre's getting a raw deal here and he should show up to training camp....then what would the Packer management do?

Collectively **** a brick would be my guess.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Not at all.  The way I see it, the Packers mostly would love to dump him on an AFC team

Send him to the Jets, oh yes indeed.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Same deal as the Dolphins.  Favre isn't going to agree to play for the Jets.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I don't see ther Jets and the Dolphins in the same light. The Jets have made many moves for this upcoming season. With the rigth QB, they may actually do some damage.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 07:44 PM »
A couple of significant transactions in the past couple of days.

Jason Taylor (Miami Dolphins - DE) gets traded to the Washington Redskins.  I'm sure he's happy to be playing anywhere other than that cesspool that Miami has become.  I don't know if even Bill Parcells in the front office can save that team.

Jeremy Shockey (NY Giants - TE) gets traded to the New Orleans Saints for a couple of draft picks.  Honestly, I was expecting this a little sooner.  Especially with training camp opening at the end of the week.  Shockey wasn't enough of a team guy and it showed.  He became too much of a distraction and seemed to be second-guessing Eli Manning.  His productivity wasn't spectacular.  And Manning seemed more comfortable with rookie Kevin Boss at the TE position.  This really seems like a case of addition by subtraction by the Giants.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: August 6, 2008, 11:44 PM »
I can't believe nobody has commented on the greatest story in sports right now...Cry Baby Cry

This has probably been the best week of off season football ever.  I love what this is doing to their team and fans and everything about it.  All because of Mr Pain Pill Poppin Cry Baby Hillbilly
I am still shocked that people aren't enjoying this as much as I have been the last month.  Other than having to see Cry Baby every night on the news, it has been great.  I can't wait for Rodgers to throw 4 picks on Opening Day to Darren Sharper ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 7, 2008, 12:40 AM »
I was enjoying it immensely until a few minutes ago when I found out that he wasn't going to be a Buccaneer.

Ted Thompson just took a giant **** on Favre's head by working a deal with the Jets when Favre reportedly preferred the Bucs. 

Keep in mind the guy wanted to play for your team more than any of the rest of them.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2008, 12:55 AM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 7, 2008, 01:28 AM »
Amazing.  The Giants are the defending Super Bowl champs and they're going to be completely overshadowed in the NY press by a guy who was traded to the other NY team, a team that he liked less, and may only play for a season or two.  Oh, and that team has really sucked rocks lately.  And is in the same division as the New England Patriots.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: August 7, 2008, 07:40 AM »

Keep in mind the guy wanted to play for your team more than any of the rest of them.

Yeah I know, and there was absolutely no way that was ever going to happen...I wasn't worried about that at all

Amazing.  The Giants are the defending Super Bowl champs and they're going to be completely overshadowed in the NY press by a guy who was traded to the other NY team, a team that he liked less, and may only play for a season or two.  Oh, and that team has really sucked rocks lately.  And is in the same division as the New England Patriots.

The Giants might not even get out of the bottom of their division, after losing so many key pieces and being in the toughest division in Football, enjoy the media suckoff fest!
« Last Edit: August 7, 2008, 07:42 AM by Scott »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 7, 2008, 07:54 AM »

Like there's anything to talk about with the Giants right now anyway.   ::)  You guys bitch like a bunch of old ladies.  I'm just glad the Favre situation is finally put to rest.