Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 168387 times)

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-ray?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Featuring a bonus audio track from Lucas where all lightsabers are referred to a lazer swords, Han is pronounced to rhyme with Fan, and Count Dough-Koo leads the separatist army.

And Chewie is digitally replaced by Lucas' dog?

No. No. No. He named the dog Indiana!

Yeah, but I thought the dog, sitting in the front seat with him, was the inspiration for the friendly/hairy co-pilot.

I'm not an expert on the capacity of Blu-Ray discs, but they definitely should release theatrical versions.  If they want to include Special Editions/Extended Version/Include cut scenes/whatever they should, but that should be something the viewer chooses (like how you can select Letterbox or standard on the same DVD for certain movies).
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 06:03 PM »
I don't own a Blu-Ray player and don't have an intent to get one anytime soon (I'd buy a PS3 first anyway), but this is kind of cool...  I've always imagined the Lucasfilm archives being just jam packed with cut footage.  I've always wanted to see the Wampa investigation, and supposedly the Battle of Hoth was a bit longer (and Veers' Death scene was filmed).  I'd dig seeing that, and the wounded-sequence with the Rebels in the trenches getting desperate.

I also would love seeing the shots filmed for ROTJ's space battle and Endor battle that were cut...  They were supposedly equally elaborate, filmed, and then just axed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 04:33 PM »
I was thinking we might see it this year for ESB's 30th, but at least we don't have to wait until 2013 for ROTJ's. They do seem to like doing these things in "anniversary" years but I suppose that's what C5 is for.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray, 2011 (Celebration 5) & Deleted Scenes!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 03:26 PM »
The Saga on Blu-Ray was expected at some point, but restored deleted scenes?  Oofah!  And TheForce.net posted the teaser scene...  Get ready to be giddy, as a fan. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc&feature=player_embedded

This is simply incredible.  I may get a BR player just for this specifically.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray, 2011 (Celebration 5) & Deleted Scenes!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Hell yeah.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 05:24 PM »
Sounds like I have a year to save up for a Blu Ray player!

Loving the deleted scenes, but I hope that GL doesn't make any more changes to the OT. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 05:25 PM »
George Lucas is like a mafia thug coming around collecting protection money every few years. When will it ever end?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be the 04 DVD versions of the OT we're getting...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be the 04 DVD versions of the OT we're getting...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."

Not really surprising I guess, I'm still really looking forward to it.  I didn't used to think that the upgrade to HD really made that big of a difference, until we got a blu-ray player for Christmas last year.  Watching movies on BD, and the HD cable stations, it really does make for a nicer picture and everything.  Plus, the extras (deleted scenes for the OT in particular) would get me anyways.  Just watching that one clip (Luke building his lightsaber) online was sweet, and in a small way gave me those chills like when we were watching a trailer for one of the new movies.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Just wish they would put the originals on as well.  Seeing deleted footage would be cool, but not enough to buy the set without have the best version on there.
There are 3 versions of the trilogy but the first is best.  Although they could fit all of them onto Blu Ray if they wanted to.
I saw that GL mentioned it being expensive...so what?  Give a little back to the fans.  Please everyone so they can get the version they like best.
Would be nice but I don't see it even happening.  He may as well burn the originals.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Am glad to hear that Lucasfilm decided to join the 20th Century and bring their films to blu-ray.

The deleted scenes being optional to see in a version with the total of each film or no deleted scenes option would also be do-able on BD,as is to have the saga on blu-ray will be exciting for me personally.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Of course, we'll only get like 24% of the existing deleted scenes, the remainder of which GL will hang onto to milk out when SW3DBD comes out in like three years or something.

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Hasn't there been little hints here and there over the years that insinuates that work has never stopped on original trilogy? I know it will be the special editions on the Blu Ray discs but I don't think it will be the exact 2004 DVD versions. If nothing, at least TPM from the prequels will be different. Isn't there a digital Yoda now on the masters instead of a puppet?

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Yep, he'll keep hanging on to things here and there and send out a few at a time.  He purposely holds back on this stuff to build up the hype and wait for a sufficient enough percentage of people out there to own a certain type of player.   It always strikes me funny because he's always trying to be technologically ahead of the "rest of the crowd" but always lags way behind the rest to actually put his films on it. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 04:38 PM »
This may be a given but we're talking all 6 films here right?  Because I hope they make some tweaks to TPM and AOTC for the release