Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 169100 times)

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #270 on: September 3, 2011, 11:49 AM »
That stupid "lucky to get out of there" line wasn't a new change for the SEs; it was in the original script.

The dialogue "You're lucky you didn't taste too good", was not redubbed. There were several variants of this line in the shooting script. All of the special editions used different takes every once in a while; mostly because some were of much greater quality than the others. The particular take that Lucas approved for this scene had Hamill reading straight from the script, instead of ad-libbing the now famous comment. Lucasfilm officials have stated that they didn't realize the dialogue was any different until the film was released. This also accounts for some of the other minor dialogue changes in the SEs.

Hmm, interesting. I remember from Irvin Kershner's commentary on my ESB dvd that he added in a bunch of stuff like that, by encouraging ad libbing in scenes where he felt more was needed. Probably most famously was the "I love you. I know." exchange between Han and Leia, originally written for Han to reply "I love you too." After a bunch of takes, Harrison Ford finally came up with the "I know" line, which to me is one of the best moments in the trilogy--the line is so good you almost couldn't write it. Kirshner also added little moments to R2 and Chewbacca, infusing them with warmth and personality.  Definitely recommend checking out his commentary to anyone who hasn't. I have the '08 boxset with the original theatrical versions on it, so as long as I've got that, I'm fine.  :)

Offline ysalamir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 3, 2011, 03:46 PM »
...I agree, if you've got the 08' releases, your good.

So add away...the more the merrier. Why not just keep making retro-active deleted (included) scenes, and sell them on the internet. They have the technology. Like somebody mentioned earlier, about Boba Fett's escape from the Sarlac pit.
Make a live action "Micro Series" of events that happened during the Saga, no matter how irrelevant or trivial.
With all the advancements of CGI and being able to create long gone actor's faces again, the ever changing Saga could continue on forever.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #272 on: September 3, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I liked the "alert my star destroyer" bit added into ESB.  :-[
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 3, 2011, 09:26 PM »
The only real changes I like in the OT was the Holographic Emperor in ESB.  It needed to be done but it wasn't that great, and the Ewok celebration ending music (I did not like the theatical ewok ending music to ROTJ, I think is bad).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #274 on: September 4, 2011, 12:48 AM »

You actually liked that change?  For reals?  I think less of you as a person now.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 4, 2011, 01:34 AM »
The Star Wars movies are to George Lucas what Michael Jackson's nose was to Michael Jackson. Just won't leave well enough alone until it gets ugly.  :o

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 4, 2011, 01:50 AM »
Yop, MJ started small and then could not stop himself.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 4, 2011, 02:46 AM »
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/01/return-jedi-nooo-george-lucas/

Another point of view to add to the mix here.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 4, 2011, 05:29 AM »
Since Lucasfilm was obviously paying a hell of a lot of attention to ROTJ for the Blu-Ray edits, I hope they fix the lightsaber strikes. I was watching ROTJ today (I've become very interested in it after all the hooplah going on) and here's what the critic in me wants to see fixed:

1. Nearly all the lightsaber strikes have no effect on anything! For example, when Luke slashes at people on Jabba's Barge, there's no glowing mark. Similarly, right before he chops off Vader's hand, he hits a bunch of railing and the railing doesn't get cut in fact. There's not even a scorch mark! It degrades the saber to being just a normal sword, in a way.

2. Right as Luke is looking at his gloved hand after defeating Vader, gaps appear in the white core of his lightsaber. It's like his lightsaber is shortnening out (maybe that's why he tosses it aside? ???).

3. In the moment leading up to Luke chopping off Dad Vader's hand, you can see both their shadows on the floor in an aerial shot of them. However, you can also see shadows of their lightsabers. Is this supposed to be like that - do lightsabers make shadows? I thought it was established they didn't. Oh well, I'm sure George knows.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 4, 2011, 11:38 AM »
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/01/return-jedi-nooo-george-lucas/

Another point of view to add to the mix here.

I give credit to Lucas for allot of things and the stuff he gave my childhood, does not mean I can't critisize something he does.  I could care less what he wants to do with his films.  I just wish he gave fans what they wanted when it comes to the original.  But as long as I have at least the DVds I'm happy.  I'm just glad the BR's will have some cool extras.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #280 on: September 4, 2011, 12:56 PM »

You actually liked that change?  For reals?  I think less of you as a person now.

Yeah...  Actually a lot of changes I actually kind of enjoy, like Docking Bay 94.   :-\  My big hates were Han/Greedo, the removed Luke "No" in ESB, Jedi Rocks (Puppet Sy looks cooler), and a couple of the new ones look really lame.

I'm actually for edits though, like expanding the space battles to include more ships, or inserting the old footage shot with modern effects (like adding B-Wings since almost all their footage got axed).  I'm in the minority though I'm sure, on all this.

I just think if he'd put out high def versiosn of the original edits he'd end this argument and everyone may like seeing changes, just to see something different, just because they'd have the originals and not care what Lucas ultimately does.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 4, 2011, 02:54 PM »

For me it always seemed like a pointless transitional piece that interferes with the pacing of the escape sequence. 

I always got the feeling that it was added because at the time of TESB's release there were no designs for an Imperial Shuttle.  Fast forward to the Special Edition days and we DO have an existing Imperial Shuttle design, along with footage of an Imperial hangar from ROTJ.  So why not add them in, GL thought. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #282 on: September 4, 2011, 03:18 PM »
My only real problems with that change was Vader's line. Mwhat was wrong with, "Bring my shuttle."?

Also, they blatantly pulled a scene from ROTJ...unless Jerjerrod was on the Executor at the time.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 4, 2011, 06:11 PM »
So, while looking at ebay auction for the Wal-Mart Dewback from a year or two ago...I gotta ask, have they changed the Dewback again (to TPM model)?

Or did they do that last time and I just forgot?
« Last Edit: September 4, 2011, 06:11 PM by scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #284 on: September 5, 2011, 05:58 PM »
The only thing I can think of is perhaps Vader wasn't planning on going to the Executor, and instead was planning on taking Lukey back to the Emperor on something zippier (IE: a shuttle).  It stands to reason I'd think, that he just was going to head from Bespin to Coruscant immediately (or the 2nd Death Star, or wherever Palpy was hanging out...  or possibly to try swaying Luke on his own even, somewhere away from too many prying eyes, who knows).

The DS hangar footage was kind of lame though.  I'd think with all the digital crap, they could've easily done a distinct hangar, with distinct people awaiting them (Piett namely).