Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 168287 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #75 on: May 9, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Jeez that packaging sucks. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 9, 2011, 10:38 PM »
The art work looks great.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Cover not lenticular according to LFL.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Reminds me a little of the old BK posters, which I liked allot.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2011, 10:06 AM »
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:11 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 01:23 AM »
Is everything from the previous DVD releases included in this set?

Impossible to say for sure without knowing the details of discs seven and eight, but given that Empire of Dreams and The Beginning aren't mentioned anywhere, I'm gonna guess no.

Some dude from DVDTalk e-mailed LFL about Empire of Dreams and From SW to Jedi and this was the response he received:

Dear -----,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We are as excited as you about the release of the Star Wars Saga on Blu-ray Disc! It will be great to be able to watch them at home (or anywhere else for that matter) in high definition with high quality sound to match!

While “From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga” and “Empire of Dreams” won't be included with the BD set, there's a ton of previously unseen material that will featured on the bonus discs; the list the press release is only a top line, bird's eye view of the comprehensive materials that will be included, and isn’t necessarily reflective of them in their entirety.

Discs seven and eight, in particular, highlight a cornucopia of behind-the-scenes material and footage. Even though the vintage docs aren't included, those two discs alone are steeped in archival goodness.

Thanks again for taking to time to write. May the Force be with you!

Connie

Publicity | Lucasfilm Ltd.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33 AM »
Hmm, interesting update.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2011, 11:26 AM »
I don't know if "interesting" is the word I would use, since it doesn't tell us anything new about those mystery discs, but it is good to have confirmation that not everything from the DVDs will be carrying over.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Complete Saga for $65.04 at DVDPlanet

By comparison, it's $89.99 at Amazon.

Have you read the reviews on DVDPlanet?  I'd spend the extra $$ at amazon.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07 AM »
A Destiny Revealed: Star Wars Media Day Brings Blu-ray and More to New York City

As teased last August, announced for pre-order at CES and elaborated upon a few months ago, Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-ray promises to be the hot disc release of 2011 when it drops this September 16th (along with The Original Trilogy and The Prequel Trilogy configurations, something to suit every fan). All that remained--short of final copies for full, in-depth review of course, hint-hint--was a hands-on demo of these long-awaited discs. How would they look and sound? And would these mysterious new extras really live up to the hype?

Well, at a private event in New York City last week, our friends at Lucasfilm and Fox pulled back the curtain all too briefly for an exciting peek at the Blu-rays as part of the 2011 Star Wars Media Day. Two clips were played (one from a classic film, one from a prequel) to demonstrate the quality of the brand-new 1080p/DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 remasters, on a Panasonic plasma and over a Panasonic HTiB system. It was really just enough to whet our appetites (as if we weren't drooling enough already), but I am now very optimistic: the clips that we saw of films both of the original trilogy flavor and the newer prequels were stunning.  Release of the older films in particular on Blu-ray will be a real challenge for Fox, owing to the limits of cinematic technology of the era, but Episodes II and III should have the potential to truly amaze.

The Complete Saga will contain all six chapters, each with beautiful, elaborate menus designed around the theme of locations relevant to that film. There will also be "new" audio commentaries for all, edited together from archival material amassed over the years, these in addition to the current DVD commentaries. This mega-set will also include three exclusive Blu-rays: Disc Seven will focus specifically on the prequels, Disc Eight on the classic trilogy, while Disc Nine collects both new and vintage documentary material.

The highlights will surely be the more than 40 deleted scenes spanning the saga (Tosche Station had better be in there!) and the home video debut of "A Conversation with the Masters" (about 20 minutes, in HD) featuring the last on-camera interview with late Empire Strike Back director Irvin Kershner, created for the 30th anniversary of that film last year. But "The Archive Collection" has us particularly intrigued, now that we've seen up close what it's really about. Imagine if George Lucas was the subject of a very special edition of Hoarders, since he has fastidiously held onto just about everything from every movie. And now we can venture into this rarified domain too, as props and more come alive via 360-degree flyarounds and painstakingly sharp zooms that look terrific on the big high-def screen. If that's not interactive enough, more than 100 HD mini-documentaries (two to five minutes each) are accessible along the way, boasting fascinating new creator interviews combined with behind-the-scenes footage. Apparently, no expense was spared to make these extras rock.

The book-type packaging is absolutely gorgeous too (we can debate its practicality some other time), with bold images that might be familiar to fans of last year's coffee table book Star Wars: Visions. I tried to take some photos of it for the enjoyment of Big Picture Big Sound readers, but no lie, there were armed Clone Troopers roaming Media Day looking for uppity journalists trying to leak material early.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #85 on: July 7, 2011, 09:27 AM »
U.K. version:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 7, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Its nice to get a better look at the whole set.  Much like some of the comments when we first saw the individual trilogy sets, I find some of the characters chosen for the disc art a little bit odd.  Not that they aren't deserving, or even welcome, but out of six movies (plus the bonus discs) there isn't one sign of the "big three" of the OT (Luke, Han, Leia) or even the PT (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme).  That and it also seems odd that Darth Maul's mug isn't on the TPM disc (or any sign of a clone or Stormtrooper).  Again, minor things, and I'm buying them to watch them not look at the disc art, but it just seems like some odd choices.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2011, 11:49 PM »
Star Wars on Blu-Ray - there's an App for that, starting tomorrow (July 20th).

I will definitely be adding it to my iPad tomorrow. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2011, 01:29 AM »
And I just got an iPhone...  How convenient.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2011, 03:02 AM »
Stupid Apple. Where's my Droid App Lucasfilm? You release an R2-D2 Droid phone and then release this app for iPad only? Ghey.
"This is the way."