Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 168261 times)

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #240 on: September 1, 2011, 05:59 PM »
What the heck is this exactly?

[/quote]

I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #241 on: September 1, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Boba Fett riding around on the weird animals from Utapau, on a planet that may or may not be Utapau, for reasons nobody can really explain.

He likes to find an animal and ride it though, on various planets it seems.  This, the dragon thing from the Holiday Special...  It's Boba's thing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 1, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Reading this thread has been fun haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VbOHvaPRc&feature=player_embedded

But I guess I'm in the minority, because I still feel it's George's movie and he can do what he wants. He's an artist, and he has the money and tools to change what he doesn't like, be it dialogue, sound effects or other stuff. Good for him, I wish I had some do overs in life hahaha. We, as fans, should enjoy what we have. If you like the original release, go buy the old DVD's. I enjoy the movies and I will not tell George he shouldn't change it.

I've read that people have gone NUTS over this and sending threatening things to his daughter on Twitter. People complaining about their childhood being ruined, I don't get that either.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Simple

This is the hot button right now in Star Wars, It will go away soon, just like the Hasbrotoyshop Death Star Debacle and the Star Wars Celebration VIP ticket issue.

I am buying it, and if you don't want your walmart BOBA FETT print, send it to me

Thanks,
Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 1, 2011, 08:20 PM »
If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Simple

I agree.

I also noticed that of the leaks only the OT has been shown.   So does that mean no tweaks in the PT trilogy other than episode 1 Yoda.  just wanted to know.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 08:21 PM by Matt R. »

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 1, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Well some people are expressing that very notion of buying it or not.  They are telling you why.  All the changes have never gotten me so worked up that I would state comments like "George Lucas raped my childhood!!!"  A few have upset me though primarily Han shooting first.  I'm not thrilled with the new Vader"No's".  In fact I don't care for them at all but it does not ruin Star Wars....for me!  However, it would be nice to just get a nice updated transfer of the OT to the Blu-Ray, DVDs, whatever format comes in the future for the OT fans that have supported the franchise throughout all the years.   Yeah, I do take it as bit of middle finger by Lucas instead of updating his art.  What does it hurt if the originals are out there?  I don't get his logic on that angle.   

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #245 on: September 1, 2011, 10:44 PM »
What the heck is this exactly?

Only the best van mural EVAR!

« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 10:46 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: September 1, 2011, 11:21 PM »
If that van's a rockin'... 

Well there's a guy in it with a sore hand.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #247 on: September 2, 2011, 12:05 AM »
Jim, I disagree with your post wholesale.  Rather than responding to everything I disagree with individually, I'm just going to delete everything I disagree with.  It's easier that way.

it's George's movie and he can do what he wants.

he has the money and tools to change what he doesn't like, be it dialogue, sound effects or other stuff.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 12:18 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #248 on: September 2, 2011, 01:31 AM »
I'm disappointed by the Vader thing. Just about everything else I could live with, but this is just stupid. Kind of like breaking up the momentum of the Falcon's escape from Bespin so Lucas could show Vader walking off his ******* Shuttle.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 2, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Surprised that van doesn't say "Free Candy" on it.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #250 on: September 2, 2011, 12:53 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I find myself in the "it's George's movie and he can do what he wants" camp.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's lame that Lucas can't just leave things alone, but whatever.  George can move on to the 2011 Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (SuperSpecial Editon).  Fine.

I'll just try to track down those 2006 DVDs with the 1993 Laserdisc versions of the OT and call it a day.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 2, 2011, 12:56 PM »
I like the quotes from Lucas that someone dug up from 1988, saying that movies are public art and shouldn't be altered.

It's all so anal now. He should've released a remake of ANH in 2008, this year we would've gotten ESB remake, and 2014 the ROTJ one. No more corrections, do it all over or move on.

Then he could get the OT prints and burn them all.  >:D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 2, 2011, 01:36 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I find myself in the "it's George's movie and he can do what he wants" camp.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's lame that Lucas can't just leave things alone, but whatever.  George can move on to the 2011 Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (SuperSpecial Editon).  Fine.

I'll just try to track down those 2006 DVDs with the 1993 Laserdisc versions of the OT and call it a day.

Agreed.  As someone who's involved in some creative ventures, it seems that you're almost never done tinkering with a project.  Historically, movies have been different in that filmmakers had to deliver a final cut and that was what lived on for posterity.  George is bucking that trend basically because he can.  He OWNS Star Wars, and can do with it as he see's fit. 

Do I completely agree with that?  I think some of the changes he's made have been questionable ("Laptinek" was much better than "Jedi Rocks"), but some changes have been interesting.  The space battle in ANH is actually much better thanks to the Special Edition.  That's a change that I think people neglect to bring up when they discuss how much they hate George's continuing tinkering.

And as a sidenote, I think we could all benefit from distancing ourselves from the films a little bit.  The hystrionics like "George Lucas raped my childhood" have gotten so overblown that I've begun to get more annoyed by the ridiculous fanboy reactions than any changes that George Lucas has made to the movies.  And this fanboy sense of entitlement/disappointment has extended through the whole prequel trilogy because NOTHING, and NOBODY could live up to the expectations that they've built up in their own hearts and minds for Star Wars as it continues some 30 years on from the childhood of those original fans to their adulthood.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #253 on: September 2, 2011, 02:31 PM »

I looked those up online yesterday at Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart, and they're all gone.  Out of print.  Both the 2006 individual releases and the 2008 box set which packaged them all together.  Used 2008 sets are fetching around $75+ on Amazon and eBay.

Funny, the individual prequel DVDs and the companion Prequel Trilogy set are all readily available right now at Amazon at normal prices.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 2, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Anyone ever actually say "Lucas raped my childhood" or is one of those "Let them eat cake!" quotes that is either misattributed or just invented by those who want to make a group of people sound stupid?