Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 168392 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #255 on: September 2, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Anyone ever actually say "Lucas raped my childhood" or is one of those "Let them eat cake!" quotes that is either misattributed or just invented by those who want to make a group of people sound stupid?

I hate them type of people.  They just want attention.  Most of them wasn't even born in the era when the films were made . I do not like the changes  :(, but I am not going to throw a fit about it.

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 2, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I dont mind the changes, seeing as the originals are on DVD as well as the most recent updates to the films.  What I do mind is that everything is on Blu-Ray, as someone who hasnt upgraded yet, lol.  I really hope all the deleted scenes and updates will be online so we can at least view them, because I'm not buying this set nor upgrading to a Blu-Ray player at this point...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 2, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Anyone ever actually say "Lucas raped my childhood" or is one of those "Let them eat cake!" quotes that is either misattributed or just invented by those who want to make a group of people sound stupid?

I've found posts with that particular phrase via a quick search dating back to 2004
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 05:28 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 2, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Changing the focus some

People have seen the HUGE jabba's door scene i guess. I am assuming that it changed the inside of the Palace hallway where the Gam Guards are. anyone know anything on this?

Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #259 on: September 2, 2011, 06:21 PM »
I just don't get why certain things are changed and some are not.

CGI Yoda in TPM and updating some of the battle sequences...totally get that and I'm glad he made those changes.

Greedo shooting at all, Vader saying "Noooooooooo!", and Luke saying "You were lucky to get out of there!", instead of "You're lucky you don't taste very good!" are just pointless changes to scenes that were perfect when originally filmed.

Other things like Luke's lightsaber being green on the Falcon or the bridge sequence where Leia's shooting sounds more like a .357 magnum than a stormtrooper rifle wreaks of poor quality control at ILM and should not be tolerated.  Did anyone involved in the project even look at the movie when they were finished?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 2, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Changing the focus some

People have seen the HUGE jabba's door scene i guess. I am assuming that it changed the inside of the Palace hallway where the Gam Guards are. anyone know anything on this?

Can you elaborate?  Is it the exterior shot as C-3PO and R2 approach the door, or is it in the passage just past the door?

I just don't get why certain things are changed and some are not.

CGI Yoda in TPM and updating some of the battle sequences...totally get that and I'm glad he made those changes.

Agreed.  The Yoda puppet in TPM had this weird brow ridge / eye orbital that made Yoda look VERY different from the TESB puppet.  When they went to the CGI Yoda for AOTC the difference was really remarkable, and the difference from TPM to AOTC was a pretty big continuity gap.  So in this instance the change works.

Greedo shooting at all, Vader saying "Noooooooooo!", and Luke saying "You were lucky to get out of there!", instead of "You're lucky you don't taste very good!" are just pointless changes to scenes that were perfect when originally filmed.

I think a the whole "Han shoots first" thing has been played out ad nauseum.  It's something that defines his character.

As for the Vader "No.  NOOOOO!!!" addition?  It comes across kind of strangely on first viewing.  Especially if you've been watching ROTJ on a regular basis since 1983.  But there is a flipside to this story.  The novelization of ROTJ indicates that there is more strife between Vader and the Emporer than the movie lets on.  And the final cut of the movie doesn't indicate it as well as it might, since the scene with Vader, Moff Jerjerrod and the Royal Guards was cut.

So what did we get in the theatrical cut of ROTJ?  One scene where the Emporer tells Vader that he was to have stayed on the command ship.  And then Vader looks on as the Emporer is using his Force lightning on Luke.  The Vader mask doesn't allow the viewer to see any kind of inner conflict with Vader.  This is where the additional dialogue comes in.  The whole "No.  NOOOOO!!!" thing expresses Vader's conflict, and harkens back to Lucas's use of recurring themes.  It doesn't feel right at first viewing, but it makes things work a little better from a story standpoint.

Other things like Luke's lightsaber being green on the Falcon or the bridge sequence where Leia's shooting sounds more like a .357 magnum than a stormtrooper rifle wreaks of poor quality control at ILM and should not be tolerated.  Did anyone involved in the project even look at the movie when they were finished?

The gunshot sound effect from ANH has bothered me, too.  That's a sound editing thing, not ILM.  But the green saber from the Falcon's hold is their fault.  That should have been done a lot better than it was when the DVD's were released.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 06:40 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #261 on: September 2, 2011, 07:23 PM »

Just 'cause you change something in one shot doesn't mean you have to change it in the next shot, too.  The new disappearing* CGI rock Artoo hides behind is proof of that.  Consistency is for suckers, man.

*I don't think it was mentioned here, but that rock is gone when Artoo comes out to talk to Ben and Luke. 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 2, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I like the quotes from Lucas that someone dug up from 1988, saying that movies are public art and shouldn't be altered.

I like the quote from him that a special effect without a story is a very boring thing. Now explain TPM to me George.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 2, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I agree with the fact that this is Lucas' film and he can tinker with it until the day he dies (and maybe even from the grave if SW is forever). It doesn't mean I don't have to like everything he does or buy every new version he decides to put out. I don't like all the changes because some are pointless and seems to detract from the overall story. Maybe because I've seen it a million times and can quote each scene. Other things, like the Death Star battle and making the TIEs and X-Wings do smooth acrobatic manuevers were awesome touches. But some people have mentioned Vader leaving Cloud City and how it breaks the momentum of the escape... and how awfully mixed Vader's theme during the hurried strings during "Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace". I never once thought "hey, how did Vader get on the Executor?" It was assumed. Leave a bit for the viewers' imaginations. I still don't understand why it's Hayden that's the force ghost at the end of Jedi and not Shaw. Vader returned to the good side once he killed the Emperor and since he redeemed himself in his later life, I would think it would reflect that age he died (did they consider Shaw too old?)

I guess the thing is I want to show my kids the Star Wars that I fell in love with in the 70s/80s and not the redeuxs. While it's the same movie, it's not.

As for the Vader "No.  NOOOOO!!!" addition?  It comes across kind of strangely on first viewing.  Especially if you've been watching ROTJ on a regular basis since 1983.  But there is a flipside to this story.  The novelization of ROTJ indicates that there is more strife between Vader and the Emporer than the movie lets on.  And the final cut of the movie doesn't indicate it as well as it might, since the scene with Vader, Moff Jerjerrod and the Royal Guards was cut.

So what did we get in the theatrical cut of ROTJ?  One scene where the Emporer tells Vader that he was to have stayed on the command ship.  And then Vader looks on as the Emporer is using his Force lightning on Luke.  The Vader mask doesn't allow the viewer to see any kind of inner conflict with Vader.  This is where the additional dialogue comes in.  The whole "No.  NOOOOO!!!" thing expresses Vader's conflict, and harkens back to Lucas's use of recurring themes.  It doesn't feel right at first viewing, but it makes things work a little better from a story standpoint.

Nick makes a good point here about how the novel plays out the tension between the Emperor and Vader. I read the novelization several years after seeing Jedi and it clarified somethings. The scene when Vader tells the Emperor that he has sensed Luke on Endor, the Emperor is mystified and says
Strange, that I have not. I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader.
It's kind of lost that the Emperor sees Vader and Luke as a threat to him.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 10:40 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 3, 2011, 03:34 AM »
And the final cut of the movie doesn't indicate it as well as it might, since the scene with Vader, Moff Jerjerrod and the Royal Guards was cut.

Can someone explain what that scene is about? I found a picture of it for the first time ever a few days ago, and I really want to know what goes on here.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #265 on: September 3, 2011, 06:17 AM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 3, 2011, 11:03 AM »

I'd much rather hear Luke robotically state an obvious fact to R2 than have a humorous, charming exchange with him. Glad Lucas is finally stamping out the wit and sparkle of the original dialogue.   ::)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #267 on: September 3, 2011, 11:14 AM »
That stupid "lucky to get out of there" line wasn't a new change for the SEs; it was in the original script.

The dialogue "You're lucky you didn't taste too good", was not redubbed. There were several variants of this line in the shooting script. All of the special editions used different takes every once in a while; mostly because some were of much greater quality than the others. The particular take that Lucas approved for this scene had Hamill reading straight from the script, instead of ad-libbing the now famous comment. Lucasfilm officials have stated that they didn't realize the dialogue was any different until the film was released. This also accounts for some of the other minor dialogue changes in the SEs.

Vader's "alert my Star Destroyer" crap, now THAT'S a stupid change made just for the SEs.

EDIT:  This list of changes on Wikipedia says that the "alert my Star Destroyer" line was originally recorded for Star Wars.  I didn't know that.  Guess that's why it sounds so out of place.  Still a crap change, though.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2011, 11:27 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 3, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Its all garbage.  Glad I have the originals on DVD at least.  Only reason for me to get this is the deleted scenes and extras. that makes it worth it for me.  Can stick the changes where the sun does not shine.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 3, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Its all garbage.  Glad I have the originals on DVD at least.  Only reason for me to get this is the deleted scenes and extras. that makes it worth it for me.  Can stick the changes where the sun does not shine.

cb

Or wait a while, I'm sure the originals will be released with deleted scenes in it full glory at some point down the road. I just wonder if the films will be catagorized by Star Wars 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 in regards to which release people will talk about... I suppose you could say the '77 version, '81, '97, '11, etc.