Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 168252 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2011, 07:49 AM »
Has anyone else had trouble getting the Boba Fett animated holiday special to play? I tried repeatedly last night after reading the instructions on GH, but to no avail. It just defaults back to the 360 degree view of the $#%^& armor every time.

Also, I think it is incredibly lame that in a nine-disc set they could not find room to include EVERY deleted scene from every movie. I will never ever watch any of those documentaries or interviews, so that is just wasted space to me.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Also, I think it is incredibly lame that in a nine-disc set they could not find room to include EVERY deleted scene from every movie. I will never ever watch any of those documentaries or interviews, so that is just wasted space to me.

Agreed - I was shocked when I noticed things like the Waterfall scene from EP1 and all of the Naboo stuff w/Padme's family from EP2 were not on the disc. In fact, the quality of a lot of that stuff is still there, they could TOTALLY reintegrate those scenes into those movies if they were so inclined.

Same thing goes with the Jedi Temple Archive Droids, that scene should be re-integrated back into the movie as well.

I still have no idea why he feels the need to add dialogue to scenes that were already perfect and not re-integrate deleted scenes back into the movie.

Peter Jackson did that with the Ultimate LotR trilogy and I prefer watching those versions over the theatrical releases.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Peter Jackson did that with the Ultimate LotR trilogy and I prefer watching those versions over the theatrical releases.

Is that what some people are upset about the LotR BluRays? That Jackson released the extended editions? After seeing the extended releases, I liked those better... but I have to be in a certain movie to sit and watch LotR since they are so long (even the edited down ones). Still, there are some scenes that were in the theatrical version that work better with the inclusion of the deleted scenes.

To make this OT, I've probably seen about half of the deleted scenes from SW now on Youtube and gotta say that it's good they were left out. The 'Lost Rebels' one is hilarious with some of the poor acting by the pilots. Veers' demise is pretty cool. It's interesting that they use that AT-AT's destruction as the one that Luke uses the detonator on.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56 PM »
I like the bunker raid where Han shouts "Chewie!" every minute. And stormtroopers die in droves.

The second A-Wing pilot is hilarious. I won't say anymore. It's too good to spoil.

The animatic bits aren't really deleted scenes, but  more like rejected production designs. It is interesting that the Corporate Alliance Tank Droids were supposed to be manned...by 4 battle droids.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:02 PM by scockery »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2011, 02:35 AM »
Finished up the PT movies tonight along with the deleted scenes and other various extras. I really wish some of this stuff hadn't been cut. For example, the Grievous/Obi-Wan animatic. That was awesome, and there was one part where you see the two running through a gigantic field full of Clones and Droids fighting. It just felt like an epic battle from the OT era, something I think we all agree was missing from the prequels. Same with the Ki-Adi/Plo Koon assault on the droid control ship from AOTC. The extended arena battle showed a lot of random Jedi fighting droids and reminded me of the OT, where you'd just see a quick shot of a random rebel soldier fighting. Cool stuff.

Can't wait to dig into the OT material over the next few days.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2011, 08:49 AM »
To make this OT, I've probably seen about half of the deleted scenes from SW now on Youtube and gotta say that it's good they were left out. The 'Lost Rebels' one is hilarious with some of the poor acting by the pilots. Veers' demise is pretty cool. It's interesting that they use that AT-AT's destruction as the one that Luke uses the detonator on.

I guess, I'm talking more about the PT than the OT when I think about re-incorporating deleted scenes.

The waterfall scene with the sub in EP1 was pretty much done on the EP1 DVD, why not finish it and reincorporate it? Why not reincorporate the "Return of Anakin" scene?

For EP2, he really should have tried to put the stuff with Padme's family back into the movie, along with the cut scenes where Beru and Padme become aquainted. It makes the stories seem more "real". Anakin seeking some level of "approval" from Padme's father, Padme, her mother and her sister talking about Padme's feelings for Anakin, etc... These are things that really do happen when a potential couple is in that "should we / shouldn't we" period. And of course, anything that shows Padme and Beru bonding, only helps with the decision to send Padme's son to the step-brother of Anakin who he never grew up with. Seriously, poor Owen and Beru, they end up getting saddled with a pain-in-the-ass whiney kid and then turned into french fries, all because Shmi was a great step-mom to Owen. What a bum deal. And of course, re-incorporating at least one or two scene with Padme's family brings a stronger connection to the solemn procession at the end of ROTS - I mean we all knew that was her mother, father, sister and nieces, but does anyone other than a SW fan?

And of course for EP3, they showed us in these deleted scenes finally what Qui Gon was scripted to say to Yoda before being interuppted by Bail Organa. You had Liam Neeson in a recording booth over a year or two ago, why not also throw him a couple more grand and get him to record this line and then reincorporate it into the damn movie?

I guess I was just hoping that this small compact, horribly decorated, "Complete Saga" BluRay nine disc set was going to allow me to essentially give away or trash all of my Star Wars video tapes and DVDs and truly be "Complete" like the name implies.

There is no reason why the originally released deleted scenes from the DVDs couldn't have been on the discs with the movies.

Also, why break up the content like they did? It's counter intuitive. If I want to watch all of the deleted scenes all in a row, I should be able to, not have to navigate to each of the geographic regions for the corresponding content.

I can't help but think that for each of the 3D re-releases they are intending on giving us 4-disc BluRay sets for each movie, complete with both the 2D and 3D versions of the film, and EVERYTHING from both the original DVD release and this BluRay release, making this $80 purchase completely pointless.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I haven't been able to get through too much of the set yet (none of the movies really), but did watch all of the OT deleted scenes/interviews over the weekend.  I have to say, the extra stuff I've seen so far is really pretty cool (the prop stuff is kind of spiffy as well).  It is nice to see these deleted scenes from the OT, particularly the ones that haven't ever been seen at all before.  Honestly, as cool as it was to see them, for the majority of them - not all - I can see why they were cut.  Some stuff (Wampa stuff) could probably have been cooler if they had the technology/capabilities, and some of the other stuff just seemed a little flat compared to what ended up in the movie.

I hope to get into the PT stuff, and then the movies as well.  Of what I have seen so far though, it seems like this set really is pretty packed - but at the same time, I'm a little disappointed it isn't "all" in there.  Sure, we have the other stuff on the DVDs, but it would be nice to have everything included in one set.  I really enjoy the docs like "Empire of Dreams", "The Beginning", etc. but I don't think either is included here (or the movie trailers, right?).  Maybe I'm just missing some of it, because I've only looked at a couple of the discs, but it seems like they could have just packed it full of everything that's been out there.  Heck, you could even include some of the stuff that's been on TV like Lucas' Biography deal (or even the other stars), that History Channel doc relating Star Wars to myths and everything.  Anyways, like I said, just a ton of great stuff included, but I sort of wish they would have just had it all.

I haven't watched the PT movies yet, but those are ones where I don't think I would have minded if they added things in here and there.  Not as "sacred" as the OT maybe, or perhaps because of when they were made (and mostly green screen) they could have added stuff fairly easily.  Adding some aliens in the Coruscant night club or something like that.  Somehow incorporating some of the CW characters and/or species in the backgrounds, I don't know that I'd care in the PT so much.  Not to mention the deleted stuff that actually exists.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 20, 2011, 11:22 AM »
It's hard to tell just how much these films have been altered without a side by side comparison, but overall it looked to me like a lot of the lighting and colour had been changed. Some of the explosions and blast effects look all new to me. The sound effects sound amazing to me, but it seems like the music has dropped down in the mix again, although that could be my crappy TV.

I don't know how new this is but I saw a Dug walk through Jabba's palace. I thought that Yoda was a big improvement in the phantom menace, and I see they replaced some of the shots of him in AOTC.

I'm normally a purist, but I actually quite liked that new Krayt dragon call.

One of the downsides for me was the sloppy job on restoring the lightsabres, In some places it's good, but why fix some bits and not others? In places it just looks lousy. I think that scene where luke is fighting the vader apparition on Dagobah looks like a total balls up.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 20, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I don't know how new this is but I saw a Dug walk through Jabba's palace.

That is totally new for the BR set.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 21, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Watched some of the documentaries disc yesterday, some nice stuff there.  A little disappointed that we didn't get things like "Empire of Dreams", "The Beginning", and "From Star Wars to Jedi".  Three of my favorites that I have on either DVD or VHS, but it would be nice to have one set that contains pretty much everything.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #385 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09 PM »
I, for one, think that the 90 minutes of spoofs more than make up for the lack of those boring old documentaries.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I watched through "The lost Rebels" cut scene on Youtube.  Hooboy.  Some of those Rebel pilots were just ABYSMALLY BAD.  The old lady had no sense of urgency about her at all.  The Sullustan and the Mon Calamari were the best of the bunch, and they were PUPPETS!

The Madine scene was cool, but I understand why it got cut.  It was too much like some of Ackbar's scenes on Home One.  Although I was disappointed that we didn't get to see him go batsh!t crazy like in the one still.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 21, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Whats scares me is that somebody somewhere is making up some EU backstory for that old lady.

Offline User897

• Youngling
  • Ancient Spirit of Evil
    • View Profile
    • User897 - Logged In
« Reply #388 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18 PM »
And don't forget the HasBLO Deleted Scenes Rebel Pilots Boxset, individual figures, and pack-ins with vehicles for $79.99 each.  :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 22, 2011, 02:47 AM »
There is no reason why the originally released deleted scenes from the DVDs couldn't have been on the discs with the movies.

Also, why break up the content like they did? It's counter intuitive. If I want to watch all of the deleted scenes all in a row, I should be able to, not have to navigate to each of the geographic regions for the corresponding content.

Go to Play All in the main screen and you'll be able to select which of the things you want to watch, deleted scenes included :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks