Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 168254 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #390 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00 AM »
I watched through "The lost Rebels" cut scene on Youtube.  Hooboy.  Some of those Rebel pilots were just ABYSMALLY BAD.  The old lady had no sense of urgency about her at all.  The Sullustan and the Mon Calamari were the best of the bunch, and they were PUPPETS!

The dialouge between the two was great...
http://youtu.be/rajCyWb9BFA

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Watched TPM last night...I agree on the color correction...awesome, it really stood out right away with Neimoidians and Amidala.  The CGI characters really popped on the screen...things like Jar Jar's skin, Watto and Sebulba's clothes. 

I don't hate TPM, but man there are some slow parts and Jake Lloyd sucks major ass

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #392 on: September 24, 2011, 02:02 AM »
Well said.  I especially liked the whole, "Lloyd sucked ass" part.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:03 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23 AM »
So...I think I should have read more about what was on this set instead of assuming everything from the previous releases was here.  I went to the deleted scenes for the prequels and found that allot of the stuff on the regular DVds is not here at all.  What a fuc@ing joke.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Ya that's a big dissapointment to me as I was finally looking forward to at least an "almost" complete set.  I don't need multiple copies of these movies but looks like I'm going to have to until Lucas decides he has enough cash.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline bellboy

• Youngling
  • So be it, "Jedi"
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Let me start off with: I wear glasses. With that said, I've watched episodes 2 - 5 and I don't see a difference from the DVD sets. I have a 46" 1080p samsung. Played on a original release ps3 with the upgrades and BR upconvert. The sound quality is much louder and richer on the dvd's than the BR's in my opinion. Original trilogy discs are the ones released as a two set with the original- original movies without the updates(add ons). If anyone else is experiencing the thing, let me know. Do I need to view this on a 55" to really see the difference? Thanks for letting me share.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I've started to watch the movies a bit now (starting with the OT), and I think they look pretty great so far.  The original Star Wars (or A New Hope) looks great I think, and the colors really pop on Tatooine.  I thought Empire looked amazing as well, and definitely a step up from the DVDs.  I'm amazed at some little background details that I never noticed before, whether they were characters or just textures of background walls/etc.  Silly stuff in many cases, but cool to see.  I haven't gotten through Jedi yet, and will hopefully tackle the prequels next week.  From what I understand ROTS looks the best of the six, which makes sense.  I don't have a giant TV by any means (just a 42"), but I thought the movies (at least the two I've watched) have looked quite a bit better than the DVDs (that weren't bad either).

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2011, 11:37 PM »
I don't know. I think he is going a little too far. I actually like cleaning up bad effects like the ground under Luke's speeder. Sure we don't need Rontos or other necessary aliens but color correction and fixing bad effects is a good thing.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 1, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Have you guys heard about this?

http://www.screened.com/news/behind-the-scenes-of-harmys-star-wars-despecialized-edition/2917/

Interesting read.  I like that he decided to take on this project for an "old girlfriend."  I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't have a new one.   ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm with Phruby.  Some of the changes that were made by Lucas were silly (Greedo shoots first), but some of the background stuff like windows or ships actually looks better in my opinion.  Frankly, I thought every SE picture in that article looked better than the original or the despecialized version.  I even liked Lucas adding the whole room of Stormtroopers in the Death Star.  Seems a lot more like that he'd be runing scared from hundreds of troopers versus 4-5 unprepared ones.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 1, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I like the cleaning up of effects as well, and can live with some additions (ships, windows, stormtroopers). But I do think the originals need to be preserved for posterity. And as long as that is the case, I would like a copy  ;)

After watching more of the interviews and extras on the blu rays, I'm glad I picked them up. Watching the extra scenes embedded in the interviews rather than isolated, I see George's points about why he deleted some (Tosche, Han's chick) in the theatrical release. And watching the sandstorm scenes again, it seems more than a few of us would have been complaining for years about Luke just tossing the X wing ladder aside and taking off-

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 4, 2011, 06:25 AM »
I was watching the collections on the OT disc at the weekend... I love the matte paintings and models, very awesome, I can't get enough of that stuff...  also I never knew that Boushh's helmet had a 1138 on there.... I guess my geekdom has room for expansion after all...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #402 on: October 4, 2011, 02:46 PM »
I think we all just grew a little.  *nods silently*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #403 on: October 7, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I was watching the collections on the OT disc at the weekend... I love the matte paintings and models, very awesome, I can't get enough of that stuff...  also I never knew that Boushh's helmet had a 1138 on there.... I guess my geekdom has room for expansion after all...

Sideshow even got that detail on their 12" figure a few years back.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2011, 08:42 PM »
I've watched all of the prequel stuff and meh...the quality of the movies is great visually and audio wise but the extras suck ass.  I mean, put ALL of the deleted scenes on here from the old DVDs.  The ones on there suck.  At as someone else said to not include the featurettes from the old DVDs is also a disservice to the PT.  I know the OT extra stuff is a lot more extensive...we'll see how I feel after I watch that stuff.