Author Topic: Did the Prequels Change Your Perception of Darth Vader?  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Did the Prequels Change Your Perception of Darth Vader?
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:51 PM »
I remember as a kid, when I first saw the OT movies (ANH and Empire in particular), Vader really seemed like a "bad guy", and to some extent, "scary" to a little kid.  Not the "terrifying" type of scary, but more like there's no question he's the baddest guy in the SW universe.  Granted, the OT is a story of his redemption (ROTJ in particular), but overall there was no question he was the main SW baddie.

Did the portrayals of Anakin/Vader in the prequels change how you look at Vader at all?  Does it make the character better/deeper, does it weaken the character and make him less of an imposing figure?  Overall, did the prequels change your perception of Vader for better or worse?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Did the Prequels Change Your Perception of Darth Vader?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Not really.  When I first saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back as a kid, he was definitely the baddest of the bad guys, but when he destroyed the Emperor in Return of the Jedi he became the tragic hero.  The prequels just reinforced that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Changed mine.  He went from a redeemable baddie in the OT to more of a tragically misguided figure in the prequels. You also get a feel for how set up he was by the Emperor - he didn't just decide to be a bad guy, he was heavily pushed in that direction by Palpy.  When I see the OT now, I feel more pity for him than anything else.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:58 PM »
the prequels gave insight into Vader past, his frontiere between good and evil passed through anger, hate, love, doubt, fear, impatience, etc.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2008, 10:02 AM »
The prequels are so different in tone and structure from the OT that I often think of them as to different properties. Therefore, I tend to pretend the prequels never existed, thus not effecting the way I think about classic Vader.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."