Author Topic: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack  (Read 84738 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2008, 09:55 PM »
As much as I like the Homestead, I'll pass on this set until promo/sale comes along. I'll reserve final judgment until I see one in person.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I think it's stating the obvious that this set has questionable pack-ins and that Hasbro is taking a risk here.  In the eyes of collectors they would have been better suited to include different figures instead, and that could also have benefitted TRU as well. 

But, to Adam's point that I find compelling - this set in itself has a lot of competition within its own line in higher ticket items like the Falcon and AT-TE... and let's face it, the repainted ARC ship as well.

Sometimes I feel that a lot of collectors get in a mindset that since Hasbro hasn't been making such items for the past 12+ years, that there's no need to, or that they are doomed to fail before they even hit shelves.  Personally I don't feel that way, and commend Hasbro for trying something like this as there's been a lot of support in the community for this, in spite of a vocal minority attempting to shoot the ideas down.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks who simply look at Hasbro's past playset attempts and use those as a meaure for success or failure.  I don't see that as being an accurate way to judge how this will do however (or the Sarlacc).  Ater all, this isn't an action-oriented gimmick toy like the other things we've seen in the past... also, since ROTS, there is an ever expanding kid market in this line.  Now is the time to release this.  And it might do better than some of us are expecting, might do worse.  We'll have to wait and see. 

Regardless of this item's success or lack of it, for those that really want it, it will be fun to finally get this sucker the first time we see it.   :)

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2008, 03:06 AM »
I completely agree that now is as good of a time as any to release this item.  For years, we've been seeing Master Replicas, Illusive Originals, Icons, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, and so many others going after the medium dollar and high-end collectible market, while a lot of fans spend just as much if not more on Hasbro goodies annually, just in $5-$30 morsels, save for the odd $50 Ultimate Battle Pack (arguably aimed at gift-givers) and $70 gift set bundle from Diamond and/or Entertainment Earth.

This year, it's ridiculous.  As of last Saturday through the end of the year, there will probably be $600 worth of big ($35+) exclusives coming that we either have had confirmed or vaguely alluded to by Hasbro.   Hopefully Star Wars will continue to be huge and the kids can help support it, because when I know I'll be curious to see what kids buy when faced with a giant ship with a fire-breathing snow monster on the side against two old people, a rat, and a stormtrooper with an igloo.  (Heck, it'd  be a hard decision for me.  I freaking love wampas.)

...and there's tons of $20 vehicles, Battle Packs, Evolutions sets, low-high-end exclusives, basic figures, and other stuff too.

Hopefully it all works out well.  I mean, who wouldn't love to have one or more little scenes like this from each major film?  I'd be quite happy to see a snowy Hoth cave, or the gantry from Cloud City, or Jango's landing pad on Kamino, or, yes, even Palpatine's office.  I can't imagine a year with this much great stuff, but if it all works, odds are we're going to get just as many big ticket items in 2009 or 2010.  I don't think it's even fair to look at past attempts of Hasbro or even Kenner as a comparison, I don't think this much variety has ever been on-shelf at any given time in the past.  (For figures, OK, yes-- but scenes and vehicles?  Not unless you count the micro stuff.)

I can't wait to see what Santa brings us in the future if the market can accept all of these goodies.  Looking at my own collection, I can say it's going to be a tight fit.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I completely agree that now is as good of a time as any to release this item.  For years, we've been seeing Master Replicas, Illusive Originals, Icons, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, and so many others going after the medium dollar and high-end collectible market, while a lot of fans spend just as much if not more on Hasbro goodies annually, just in $5-$30 morsels, save for the odd $50 Ultimate Battle Pack (arguably aimed at gift-givers) and $70 gift set bundle from Diamond and/or Entertainment Earth.

This year, it's ridiculous.  As of last Saturday through the end of the year, there will probably be $600 worth of big ($35+) exclusives coming that we either have had confirmed or vaguely alluded to by Hasbro.   Hopefully Star Wars will continue to be huge and the kids can help support it, because when I know I'll be curious to see what kids buy when faced with a giant ship with a fire-breathing snow monster on the side against two old people, a rat, and a stormtrooper with an igloo.  (Heck, it'd  be a hard decision for me.  I freaking love wampas.)

...and there's tons of $20 vehicles, Battle Packs, Evolutions sets, low-high-end exclusives, basic figures, and other stuff too.

Hopefully it all works out well.  I mean, who wouldn't love to have one or more little scenes like this from each major film?  I'd be quite happy to see a snowy Hoth cave, or the gantry from Cloud City, or Jango's landing pad on Kamino, or, yes, even Palpatine's office.  I can't imagine a year with this much great stuff, but if it all works, odds are we're going to get just as many big ticket items in 2009 or 2010.  I don't think it's even fair to look at past attempts of Hasbro or even Kenner as a comparison, I don't think this much variety has ever been on-shelf at any given time in the past.  (For figures, OK, yes-- but scenes and vehicles?  Not unless you count the micro stuff.)

I can't wait to see what Santa brings us in the future if the market can accept all of these goodies.  Looking at my own collection, I can say it's going to be a tight fit.

I agree, this is some new territory for Hasbro.  I'm very excited about the prospect of more items like this.  Like you, I would love to get an environment or two like this from each film (though I'm afraid one from EPI might not be as popular - any ideas on some that might be interesting?).

The TRU stores in my area at least are cleaned out of figures, and vehicles (save for some Falcons).  One TRU (and a huge one at that) only had 4 figures yesterday - Animated Battle Droid, Yarna, Bane and Mace Windu... that's it!  They still had a few Falcons (it looked like three) and a couple of repacked vehicles (Jedistarfighters)... 

They even had a sign stating something about a limit per customer due to high demand.  :o

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2008, 12:12 PM »
The only thing that really worries me about this playset is if it doesn't sell well.  (I personally think its pretty lame at $50).

Hasbro has always said "we're not doing playsets because they don't sell".  Well, I think they may be creating a self fulfilling situation.

I could think of a bunch of potentially more interesting playsets than this one.  Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Ewok Villiage...

I'm just worried they're creating a dog (or is it Womprat?) of a playset that will end up justifying their position that playsets don't sell.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2008, 12:57 PM »
I see your point Dave, and I am a bit worried as well. 

I think the dome itself is fine though.  It's a combination of the price with the old repacks.

Had they somehow pulled this off with the prequel Lars family, then I think this sucker would be flying off the shelves when it hits.  As it stands, we'll have to wait and see... but I'm getting one!  Perhaps two!   :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Weren't we worried about that last year too?  An AT-ST and some repaints or a Turret and some repaints for $50?! 

Those sold well enough that they made more of them.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2008, 01:27 PM »
Weren't we worried about that last year too?  An AT-ST and some repaints or a Turret and some repaints for $50?! 

That set had a lot of "action" going on, plus it was an awesome value.  This set - not so much. 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2008, 01:43 PM »
The PT Lars family would have been a slam dunk.  I'm glad they're doing this, but the price and the figure choices put it out of reach for me. 

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2008, 02:29 PM »
The PT Lars family would have been a slam dunk.  I'm glad they're doing this, but the price and the figure choices put it out of reach for me. 

Can't say I agree from a sales perspective-- I think it'd be more appealing to those of us who read the boards, but it's still boring, non-action characters with little dialogue and little backstory.  Although I suppose you could fudge it if you built the set up around the comic story in which a cyborg Darth Maul tracks down Luke, and gives Obi-Wan one last fight.  (Goofy, yes.  Sales gold, and prequelish Lars family, also yes.)   But I have little doubt this set's budget went to the playset and the figures are, more or less, an afterthought.

Those had a remarkable amount of marketing behind them (which is probably more important than the product itself), were an awesome value, and also hit extreme clearance in many parts of the country.  In my neck of the woods, they were pretty much gone before the second round of clearances hit BUT I did hear from a lot of fans who got them for $12.24 or whatever it was. Lucky, lucky fans.

Maybe Anakin and his pals hang out there in the Clone Wars movie... that'd help.   I don't know the edition size either, but here's hoping that, like Target's UBPs, there's some crazy huge marketing scheme behind this one as well.
--AP

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Those had a remarkable amount of marketing behind them (which is probably more important than the product itself), were an awesome value, and also hit extreme clearance in many parts of the country.  In my neck of the woods, they were pretty much gone before the second round of clearances hit BUT I did hear from a lot of fans who got them for $12.24 or whatever it was. Lucky, lucky fans.

Yeah but that's mostly Target's problem.  Hasbro had their money.  And whatever the case, Hasbro felt good enough about those to do less exciting, more collector focused ones that have less play value (although I'd say that this only applies to the Homestead one as the Sarlaac Pit has plenty of play value too) .

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2008, 03:23 PM »
On the issue of the $50 sets from last year hitting clearance, that was Target's doing, I think.  They could have sat on them for another month or two and most probably would have sold at full price... in my area, the Hoth ones never even hit clearance that I'm aware of... and this is about 6-7 Targets relatively close.  The Endor sets did at a couple stores, but didn't last long... I don't think I saw a single one of these anywhere outside of a three week window. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this Lars set does... I just wish it had been released on 7/26. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2008, 03:43 PM »
The potential interest from the casual buyer on this set might be downright tepid.  And I can see longterm collectors being turned off both by the price and the figures.  But Hasbro appears to be taking a chance here.  I'm curious to see how it will play out.

The clearance scam won't work with this, btw.  TRU takes their sweet time to clearance anything.  They've got more shelfspace to spare than the other retailers.  And even when they do clearance items, if they knock $10 off of this set I'd be surprised.  And I wouldn't expect a clearance anytime before Q4 of 2009.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01 PM »
I hope this succeeds, this could pave the way for a new Jabba with throne! Maybe it's me, but if it's cool enough and OTC I will buy it. Despite the two geriatric reissues with the same 1997 Pink Newborn Hamster flesh tone I am really digging this set.

TRU always moves their SW exclusives, it may not sell out right away but they will sell through. The lame White Tie Fighter seems to be selling through, that's one of the worst reissues ever. I saw the purpose of the small one but that exclusive was really bad. The Bantha packs were slow sellers but even they sold out eventually without being on clearance. That was a really boring set for kids, think about it. You had a hairy Snuffaluffigas with horns, some desert mummies along with the mommy mummy and her baby mummy. Oh yeah, and the rat dog on a chain....how can I forget.

What Kid does not want to harass & vaporize old people, then pretend that the desert scavenger rat comes to suck the marrow out of their brittle charred bones! Now that's a fun play pattern for Kids!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:03 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2008, 05:49 PM »
I hope this succeeds, this could pave the way for a new Jabba with throne!

<snip>

It's my hope/expectation that the as-of-yet unconfirmed-but-mentioned-at-the-panel "Mystery Clone Wars Ultimate Battle Pack" is indeed a Jabba with Throne and a bunch of Clone Troopers.

The clearance scam won't work with this, btw.

Nobody's saying "let's wait for a TRU exclusive clearance sale," because those are like the Easter Bunny.  Target's plenty impatient to clear out, but still, a good exclusive sells *quickly* when put in front of enough people.   There's definitely a "magic number" or "sweet spot," and whatever it is, I think Wal-Mart more or less has it figured out. (And I think it's just foot traffic.)   It's just, as people pointed out, if the Bantha didn't grab the kids, well, I can't say I'm hopeful.  But the Geonosis Arena did just fine, it seems, and I don't think a lot of collectors (save for variant huntin' freaks like me) got excited about that one.

I think the basic point I was trying to make is "as cool as it is, it's probably gonna sit."  TRU's vehicles have done great-- I'm really astonished to see how fast those TIE Interceptors went.  But there's no shortage of Banthas, at least around where I shop, and those had at least some action going on.  Although not much.   Maybe someone will play up the "Troops" angle on all the fan sites and that'd ramp up the interest... I mean, when you think about it from a marketer perspective, there's already a super-popular viral video that will support the set. :)
--AP