Author Topic: Was the 30th Anniversary a Big Enough Deal?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Was the 30th Anniversary a Big Enough Deal?
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I have to say I thought about this topic after listening to a podcast that discussed the same thing, but do you think that they (Lucasfilm) made a big enough deal out of the 30th Anniversary?  Sure, there was the Celebration (which it sounds like some people felt was the weakest of them all so far), the Rose Bowl parade dealy, and they had the "30th Anniversary Collection" action figure line, but it seems like there could have been more done.  Heck, in the TAC line alone, we still ended up getting as many (or more) prequel/clone figures than stuff focused on the actual 30th anniversary of ANH.  Also, I think it might have been kind of cool to put A New Hope back in theaters for a bit, and follow suit for the anniversaries of ESB and ROTJ (and down the road, the prequels I guess).  I guess it wouldn't necessarily have to be for the 30th Anniversary (25th might have been better even), but it just seems like they could have done some more things like this - but maybe its just me missing the OT goodness :).

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Was the 30th Anniversary a Big Enough Deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 04:03 PM »
I agree, we could've gotten a lot more OT goodness for the 30th anniversary. :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I thought they did quite a bit with the Postage Stamps and the like that you don't normally see.  As far as re-re-releasing the movies....they did that 10 years ago with the Special Editions, so I think that would've just been redundant.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:28 PM »
And even then, the Special Edition was just a way for them to hype TPM. I personally feel like we got more than enough for the 30th anniversary. Other movies just usually just get a "Special ___th Anniversary" DVD and that's it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 07:40 PM »
I agree with Matt and Travis. We got plenty.

I don't see it being commercially viable to re-re-release the OT right now, or probably ever again, frankly. Unless it's on the 50th anniversary or something.

What would have been nice, though, was the long-rumored Saga boxset/doorstop, with all 6 films, both versions of the OT, and several hundred hours of extra features. But I guess they're going to wait for the Blu-ray release.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:40 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 06:07 PM »
I wonder if LFL has figured out that blu-ray has won the format wars. Bring on the Blu-Ray six pack with bonus discs for each movie!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours