Author Topic: The Return of Saga Legends  (Read 47096 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: The Return of Saga Legends
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Where's the stripes on the clone locker? Mock-up package?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2008, 09:51 AM »

Don't the stripeless lockers indicate that the weapons within aren't painted?  Ie, no wooden looking stock on the rifle, etc?  The all black weapons are the ones pictured on RS, which aligns with the non-striped lockers.
I am not the Stig

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2008, 09:53 AM »

Don't the stripeless lockers indicate that the weapons within aren't painted?  Ie, no wooden looking stock on the rifle, etc?  The all black weapons are the ones pictured on RS, which aligns with the non-striped lockers.

I've never heard that before. Interesting.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2008, 10:03 AM »

They've been like that for a while now. The most recent wave with the clones started phasing in the stripe-less lockers.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2008, 11:08 AM »
When are they going to aim the Clone Lockers at OT weapons?  I'm sure its been suggested before, but OT figs need some equipment as well....  The variety of different weapons we see stormies carrying alone would be enough to fill the locker.  There is the E-11, the BFG that some of the Sandies had this past year, there is the long rifle that I think Han ends up carrying in the DS, of course there is small blaster that the Scout Troopers carry, and there is the so called Rebel Blaster, which seems to be standard equipment for the Death Star Troopers.  Hasbro could be nice and sculpt a rocket launcher or something....

I agree.  Although I can certainly see the focus on the PT/clone stuff with Clone Wars, as well as the probability that kiddos are more familiar with/interested in the prequel movies and clones in general - this is just another example of the OT really getting the short end of things these days.  Don't get me wrong, we still get some really nice figures - and surprises like an all-new Falcon, the Sarlacc, etc. - but overall there is just so much more attention on the prequel era of things.  I guess many could say that the OT had its "day in the sun" through the combination of the vintage days and POTF2 line, but with the product being so improved since then, I wouldn't mind seeing more of an even split between the two at this point.  With the recent rumors, it sounds like the figure line might be a bit better with that in 2009.  One area that I always think seems really light on the OT is the $20 starfighter vehicle assortment.  We don't see much in there outside of Vader's TIE anymore, and it would be nice if a few more OT offerings were sprinkled in here and there.  There has to be a few more that would fit that pricepoint.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2008, 09:54 AM »

They've been like that for a while now. The most recent wave with the clones started phasing in the stripe-less lockers.

I just noticed that in the stores with the later wave. Haven't been keeping up on legends since I've been passing on them.  :P

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Haven't been keeping up on legends since I've been passing on them.  :P

Me neither, but it's nice to see figures in new packaging on the pegs that I've never seen before.  TAC killed me on this - especially 3-PO and all the other variants. 

Rot in hell Legends...Rot in hell.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Does anyone know how many versions of the Battle Droid 2-pack there is? I have a set that's got two tan droids and a set that's got two red droids.

Neither set matches what's pictured on the back where one of the two droids is painted to look like a BD Commander.

Is there a third set or is this just a Hasbro packaging screw-up?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 1, 2008, 09:14 AM »
No third set has been released yet, and as far as I know, a third is not on the way. Could be wrong though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 3, 2008, 04:33 PM »
I didn't necessarily want to start a new thread for this, but what are some of your suggestions for the Saga Legends line?  It seems like we're always going to have some sort of repack heavy line at retail, alongside the normal line(s), but it seems like a lot of the figures continue to get repeated.  Are there any other figures you'd like to see appear in the Legends line?

Here's a few, off the top of my head:

VOTC Han Solo
VOTC Princess Leia
VOTC/EB Chewbacca
VOTC/Tantive BP Stormtrooper
Evolutions Anakin Skywalker (AOTC)
Evolutions Darth Maul
Evolutions Jango Fett
Evolutions Boba Fett
Evolutions Qui-Gon Jinn
TSC Utapau Clonetrooper

There are other figures that have been used before that are good choices (AOTC Clone, Biker Scout, etc.), some that are on the way soon (VTSC Snowtrooper, VTSC Luke), or even really recent figures (TLC Grievous, etc.) and I think - for the most part - that almost any of the Evolutions and/or VOTC/VTSC figures are pretty decent candidates to get out there again.  It just seems like we've been seeing a lot of the same figures (or clones), and I wouldn't mind seeing a few more new ones sprinkled in (OT characters in particular would be nice).  I can understand consistently having figures like the Evolutions (ROTS) Anakin and ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan out there like they do as well, as they are pretty much the best versions of each of those characters.  Anyways, I know I'm forgetting several, but any other suggestions?

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 3, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Probably just me, but the TAC Galactic Marine was pretty sweet.  I'd like to see that again.  That might be a bit too specific for most people's tastes though, I think they'd prefer best versions of main characters or plain army builders.

I could see Hasbro adding more variety into their Saga legends.  How about R2, R3, R4, R5 units in various paint schemes.  Kind of like they've done with the AOTC clone officers...  Or the often requested Rebel Pilots in a couple of different headsculpts...
I am not the Stig

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 4, 2008, 09:14 AM »
High on my list:

Shadow Bikerscout
Stormtrooper commander

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 4, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I think that the "Saga Legends" concept needs to be retired completely at this point, and just reissue figures that people are actually having difficulty finding as "Greatest Hits" figures in the Legacy line (like with Gree, EVO Trooper, etc).  Everywhere I go, SL is clogging up the pegs, and not even the post-Thanksgiving rush for Christmas gifts was helping to clear them.  No animated CW to be seen, but all the SL figures a person could possibly want.

I think that a third assortment is really overextending the line right now (I'm even in the apparent minority who thinks that Hasbro is overdoing it with the number of figures in both the CW and Legacy lines themselves at this point), and SL would be the easiest to cut completely with very few people missing it.  Take high-demand figures that are already planned for SL (such as the VTSC Snowtrooper, red ARC, etc) along with some other high-demand figures (Stormtrooper Commander), insert them as repacks in the regular Legacy/BAD line, and be done with it.  The market is saturated with now-out-of-date Grievouses, electronic R2-D2s, Endor Threepios, and shoddy Battle Droids, and SL isn't helping matters.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 5, 2008, 08:00 AM »
I totally agree DoctorPadawan - when I heard that Hasbro was doing BOTH Greatest Hits figures in the BAD line and a Saga Legends line, that really confused me. Why not just stick with inserting GH figs in with the BAD assortments like you suggest.

Heck that would have been much better than re-packing a figure from a previous wave in a new wave with the new droid part. Take six SL figs and pack them with the silver RA-7 droid parts and put them out that way.

There was no need to be getting the Clone Officers again or the Battledroids again. The upcoming Sandtrooper and X-Wing Luke SL figs could have been GH insertions in the upcoming ANH wave just as easily.

Hasbro's reasoning for this line was to help put out characters that weren't going to be out in the other lines. So how does that explain Anakin, Obi-wan, Yoda, R2, Grievous, and the the basic AotC style clonetrooper. Did I miss something or aren't ALL of those characters in your first Clone Wars wave?!?!

The only buyers for this stuff are nut-job collectors like me who pick up 1 of each for the packaging variation and the desperate parents who are going to grab the SL Obi-wan when their kid really wanted the CW one, but couldn't find it 'cause it's sold out.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 5, 2008, 09:19 AM »
I think that a third assortment is really overextending the line right now (I'm even in the apparent minority who thinks that Hasbro is overdoing it with the number of figures in both the CW and Legacy lines themselves at this point), and SL would be the easiest to cut completely with very few people missing it.  Take high-demand figures that are already planned for SL (such as the VTSC Snowtrooper, red ARC, etc) along with some other high-demand figures (Stormtrooper Commander), insert them as repacks in the regular Legacy/BAD line, and be done with it.  The market is saturated with now-out-of-date Grievouses, electronic R2-D2s, Endor Threepios, and shoddy Battle Droids, and SL isn't helping matters.

If you're in that minority, I'm there too.  Although I really like what we've been getting from the SW line(s) lately, for me, its just getting to be too much.  Granted, we can always just buy what we want, but like I've said before, its more tempting when its out there.  I really think Hasbro could scale back with the releases overall through the course of the year (and number of product lines) and still have great sales, and maybe wouldn't have some collectors feeling overwhelmed.  Anyways, that's a different topic.

I agree with what you guys are saying, as far as I'm concerned they could ditch the Legends assortment as well, and just insert the figures mentioned in the regular TLC waves.  That being said, I was just bringing up suggestions since it seems like Hasbro really likes to have this assortment at retail.  Although all of the SW stuff has been selling like crazy around here lately, it often does seem to be the Legends figures clogging things up at retail when something is not selling.  On the other side of things, I do understand the need to have the "big guns" out there at retail - particularly for parents/kiddos.  There have been several times I've seen parents frustrated because they couldn't find a Luke or Han on the pegs at certain times of the year (and there are other examples), and I could see that being frustrating as a parent/gift buyer.  Heck, using another example, a woman remarked to me in the toy aisle just yesterday that she was looking for a Captain America figure for her nephew (it was top on his list), and she can't find one anywhere (unless he wants a Mighty Muggs version).  She said she'd just be going online, and its nice that option is there, but I can kind of see where its nice to have the popular characters out for any given line.

Again, if we have to have an assortment like this, I think it would be better to keep it limited and to use the best versions possible.  Heck, you could even just put it out around the holidays primarily, as that seems to be where a lot of the casual buyers and gift givers come out in full force.  You could probably get a pretty good representation of what kids would maybe want in a dozen figure assortment or so, consisting of a Han, Luke, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Vader, the clones/stormtroopers, and maybe a few supporting characters like Yoda, the Fetts, Maul, and the recent Grievous and call it good.  Overall though, I agree with the sentiment that there is just too many lines/stuff at this point.  I'm probably in the minority as well that I'm actually buying the Animated stuff alongside the Legacy Collection, but I wouldn't mind seeing just one line at retail eventually as well (realistic styled of course).