Author Topic: The Return of Saga Legends  (Read 46873 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
The Return of Saga Legends
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:53 PM »
As mentioned at Toy Fair, you can now consider this line fully confirmed... from Hasbro:

** There will indeed be a third basic figure line this Fall, once again called "Saga Legends". Unlike previous Saga Legends, this one is kid-focused around the animation and will consist of hero characters who are prominent in the animation, but who will not have an animated version for their character right away or who we are looking to get out there in greater numbers to take advantage of the excitement that the movie and TV show will generate. The lineup consists of figures you might expect: Anakin, Obi-Wan, R2-D2, Yoda with Kybuck, C-3PO, numerous Clones and droids, and others.

All of the figures will be existing. It's too early to say whether the line will continue longer than through Spring. Because this line was created to complement the animated line, and be particularly kid-focused, we aren't planning on doing any particular fan-request figures in this line like we have done with past Saga Legends.

Everyone excited to see more repacks on the pegs this Christmas?   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Return of Saga Legends
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Sweet, I can't wait for this.  I was just thinking today...  I'm sick of seeing wave 1 and 2, 2008, because it's keeping all those Legends figures off the pegs.  I can sleep easy tonight.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:24 AM »
The good news is they're movie style at least. 

I understand them wanting to have movie styled versions of these characters on the pegs though, so I guess this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.  And it's always good to have army builders readily available.

Also, the Legends figures have sold damn well this year it seems.  I can't count the number of times I've seen my Walmart and TRU restock with them to the max, and then a few days later half of them already be gone.  These are an easy money maker for Hasbro.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:16 AM »
As long as they sell well, they can re-pack what they want. I don't have to buy them.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:15 AM »
I think this is kind of where many of us thought this was going, and I guess I can understand it.  Like we've all said before, I don't mind as long as we don't see pegs clogged with these new "Legends" and we can't find things like the Legacy waves because of it.  Sure, seperate SKUs and all that, but we all know how that goes :).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Sure, seperate SKUs and all that, but we all know how that goes :).

I think they were pushing their luck with 2 different SKUs, but 3?  That's definitely going to cause stocking issues, no doubt in my mind. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 12:25 AM »
The good news is they're movie style at least. 

I'm on pace to spend less this year than I have in any of the last 6 - and it's getting easier and easier with all the animated things and repacks.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:25 AM by Rob »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 01:17 PM »
I think they were pushing their luck with 2 different SKUs, but 3?  That's definitely going to cause stocking issues, no doubt in my mind. 

Well, they did it before in 1998 and 1999 with POTF2 and Episode I, and it was a smashing success (sarcasm HEAVILY implied there), what with the multiple full waves shipping all at once across the different cases, the mass clearance blowouts (remember the 2 dollar off stickers on all the figure cards at the end of 1998?), and the massive gluts of some assortments with nothing from others. 

Note to Hasbro:  No matter if they're a different SKU or not, no matter if you call them "Saga Legends" or "30th Anniversary Collection" or "Saga Collection" or "Heroes and Villains" or "Greatest Battles" or any of the other multiple names for these assortments, the only thing retailers see is STAR WARS.  In the eyes of retail, there is ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE between Saga Legends and 30th Anniversary figures, and I would go so far as to say that the same will hold true with the Clone Wars and Legacy Collection lines.  As long as Star Wars is on the pegs, they couldn't care less what SKU/DCPI/Collection it is.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 01:59 PM »
I actually like the Legends stuff.  It gave me a chance to get some stuff that I missed or plain passed on.   I am hoping they re-release the Snowtrooper.  I only got one of those from the vintage line.  Same with the Biker Scouts in Legends.  I was able to get quite a few of them from Legends that I was not able to from vintage.  Plus, at a slightly cheaper price. 

I just hope they do not go nuts and re-release 30 figures in Legends form.  Just a couple waves would do I think. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Well said DocPadawan. It's a classic quixotic notion.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:28 PM »
I liked LEgends this past year too...

I bought AOTC Clones, ROTS Clones, Sandtroopers galore (still want more white clean ones), Imp. Officers, Darktroopers, and all that crappola.  I think I could do with more re-releases too of certain figures (some of the upcoming O66 Clones, or maybe some of the Republic Commando figures they've done now like the white ones).  I'm actually likely to pick up some of the upcoming Clones too like the shadow and covert clones.

The new Legends line though, sounds pretty dull and aimed at kids instead with main characters I neither want, nor need more of.  I'm guessing these'll be $8 a pop too, and no droid part...  That alone's probably reason enough to avoid them.

If they'd included droid parts, randomized, for solid color astromechs...  I'd almost consider it I think, or at least try to get enough army builders to build the droids.  Otherwise this one sounds like it'll be an easy enough line to avoid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I kind of enjoyed the last batch of Legends as well, just because it was pretty easy to pick up more of the SA AOTC Clone(s), which I only had one of previously - as well as things like the Biker Scouts (for less than $10 a pop), shocktroopers, and things like that.

It will be interesting to see what type of figures they put in this new figure line.  Like we've talked about before, aside from "all new" characters, we've got a lot of the lineup from the upcoming Clone Wars series in "realistic" style already - so they could get a pretty good lineup together.  Thinking along the lines of the Evolutions Anakins, Comic Pack/ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan, Yoda w/Kybuck, clones (plus commanders like Cody/Gree/Bacara/etc. if necessary), ARCs, Jedi, Padme, R2, 3PO, Battle Droids/SBD/DD, and others.  I'll likely be passing on most to all of these, and like its been mentioned, I just hope these aren't clogging the pegs and keeping Legacy (or Clone Wars) stuff off the pegs.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Legends costing the same as new figures in the other line is definitely a hard pill to swallow.  I also am not sure I like the sound of main characters being in this new line.  If I could choose, though, I'd like them to offer a few versions like VOTC: Luke, Leia, Han, C-3PO (I was one of the few that liked this non-articulated version), Yoda, and Chewie.  I'd also like another shot at Dagobah Luke with interchangeable arms/head, EB Chewie, and maybe even another R2 if they mix some of the better parts.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20 PM »
Ok - so like I just posted about this in the Clone Wars board...

I think this is PURE CRAP.

They state in their answer:

Unlike previous Saga Legends, this one is kid-focused around the animation and will consist of hero characters who are prominent in the animation, but who will not have an animated version for their character right away or who we are looking to get out there in greater numbers to take advantage of the excitement that the movie and TV show will generate.

So which is it Hasbro? You make the Clone Wars line animation styled so a kid will see a tie between the animation and the toy, but then you're going to re-release figures that were done in the "realistic" style to get out characters that haven't been done for the animated line?!?!?!

If the Animated Line had been done in a realistic style to begin with - YOU COULD HAVE RE-RELEASED THOSE SAME FIGURES AS PART OF THE CLONE WARS LINE!!!!

Also - they state in their answer that they will include Anakin, Obi-Wan, R2-D2 & Yoda - excuse me, but I have no doubt that those four figures will be happily warming the pegs from July on. Is this so the realistic versions can fight the animated versions for peg superiority?

The folks running the Star Wars line have hit an all-time high of stupidity with this move. Why not just come out and admit that you've boxed yourselfs into a corner by making the Clone Wars toy line incompatible with the library of parts you've built over the past 13 years of making Star Wars figures?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Maybe its time to start hiding these things under the shelves.... :-\
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours